Anyone Tried German With Jenny Paid Course?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Eves
Languages: English, Farsi (Native, but not totally fluent)

Anyone Tried German With Jenny Paid Course?

Postby Eves » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:13 am

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone had tried the German with Jenny paid course? If you've been learning German you may have come across Jenny's videos on Youtube. She has a extensive list of videos (I think over 400) that cover from A1 to C level apparently. Well now she has created a paid course that you can check out at www.germanwithjenny.com which has piqued my interest, and I was wondering if anyone had tried it? If you have, what do you think of the course? Her paid course will cover A1 to B2 so far. My only hesitation with registering is that I'm a bit leery of her videos, as they are somewhat dry and is mostly her introducing a topic and then presenting a few examples of words/phrases in the topic in sentences. However, what I found interesting in the video where she explains how her app works is that she combines podcasts with vocab lessons, videos, and her own PDF lessons. So in this sense it seems a bit closer to a traditional classroom setting.

So if anyone has tried it out or is currently using it, please share your thoughts as to whether it is worth the cost.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Anyone Tried German With Jenny Paid Course?

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:13 pm

It looks not bad but not that stellar for the price. I can't see anything really new here, it reminds me for example of some courses on the Deutsche Welle website. Also, you can have a proven high quality coursebook with audio for a similar price and you don't need to worry about renewing payments.

I think there is a lot of good intentions there, but I don't think the app uses the real strengths of today's digital tools (there doesn't seem to be SRS for example, or a more complex adaptive learning mechanism like in Kwiziq, or attempts on speaking recording that for better self-correction like in Lingodeer, and the translation exercises require even stricter memorisation of exactly the one version than tools like Duolingo). Instead, she just turned a lot of normal things just into an app. Podcasts are nothing new. If her videos are good, perhaps they are worth paying for, I don't know, they are probably the most original part of this.. Worksheets: you can have workbooks with more of those for the price. And the interactive exercises are not that interactive. What she has described is being done on paper all the time. And I cannot tell how many such exercises are there, based on the info on the website.

So, if her content is really (and you know more about it than me), perhaps it is worth trying and in that case I'll consider it too (I'll try her videos, thanks for the tip!). But the digital presentation is not worth this price in my opinion.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”