Careful with Anki Rip Offs in the App Store

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Careful with Anki Rip Offs in the App Store

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:20 pm

Heads up, if you are looking for the Anki App for iOS there are several rip-off that are available.

The real Anki app for iOS is called AnkiMobile Flashcards. The others apps called AnkiApp, Anki, etc... are rip-off that do not connect to the Anki server.

Apple provides online tool to report App Store ripoffs, but the IP owner needs to report these issues.
6 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Careful with Anki Rip Offs in the App Store

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:15 am

a few notes on the differences, for those hesitating, apart from supporting either the creator or those copying him: the real anki has srs, some copies don't. the synchronisation and back up runs smoothly. you can have more users in one app (great for families). in case of any trouble (such us lost passwords or anything else), the creator of the original provides the user with fast and excellent support. the selling strategy is clear (one time payment, no tricks), so I recommend the original.
3 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”