European Portuguese lesson books with audio?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Dtmont
Yellow Belt
Languages: English(n) Portuguese/Galician(around intermediate). In reading: Old English,Dutch,Affrkikaans

European Portuguese lesson books with audio?

Postby Dtmont » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:59 pm

I am looking for a European Portuguese course with audio similar to Assimil(no English available for European Portuguese)/teachyourself. A lesson book that I can work through regularly. Is there anything like this out there, I am having trouble finding much. Has anyone had any success with the Colloquial Portuguese course?
0 x

Speakeasy

Re: European Portuguese lesson books with audio?

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:32 pm

The major self-courses for the self-instruction of Portuguese having a European emphasis are Assimil and Linguaphone, both of which would take the student into the A2-B1 range upon completion. If you have already completed the Assimil course, although working through the Linguaphone course would help you consolidate what you have already learned, you would probably be better served in the long-run by simply moving on to native materials.

I have not used Routledge’s Colloquial Portuguese. However, should this course follow the pattern of many other (but not all) other courses in the series, it would be designed to meet the minimal transactional needs of a short-term travellers to the region; that is, it would be something of an expanded phrase book with a level of A0 upon completion. So then, I see be no advantages in working with Colloquial Portuguese for the student who has completed the Assimil course.

Simon & Schuster offer a Pimsleur European I course that would be of no benefit to anyone who has completed the Assimil course.

Prentice-Hall (Pearson) offers a set of course materials for use in a classroom situation under the title “Ponto de Encontro: Portuguese as a World Language” for which there exists a European sub-set. The materials are not designed for self-instruction, the answer keys and transcripts are available to registered instructors only, and a complete set would be prohibitively expensive in comparison to any value that they might represent to a student who has already completed Assimil.

Finally, concerning the differences between the European and Brazilian variants of Portuguese, there is broad consensus that these are minimal. For this reason, you might also wish to consider using the FSI/DLI Portuguese courses as alternatives. In fact, you could redo the Assimil experience by using their course for Brazilian Portuguese. Ultimately, though, you’ll have to remove the training wheels and get into the traffic (native materials).
0 x

Dtmont
Yellow Belt
Languages: English(n) Portuguese/Galician(around intermediate). In reading: Old English,Dutch,Affrkikaans

Postby Dtmont » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:43 pm

Speakeasy wrote:The major self-courses for the self-instruction of Portuguese having a European emphasis are Assimil and Linguaphone, both of which would take the student into the A2-B1 range upon completion. If you have already completed the Assimil course, although working through the Linguaphone course would help you consolidate what you have already learned, you would probably be better served in the long-run by simply moving on to native materials.

I have not used Routledge’s Colloquial Portuguese. However, should this course follow the pattern of many other (but not all) other courses in the series, it would be designed to meet the minimal transactional needs of a short-term travellers to the region; that is, it would be something of an expanded phrase book with a level of A0 upon completion. So then, I see be no advantages in working with Colloquial Portuguese for the student who has completed the Assimil course.

Simon & Schuster offer a Pimsleur European I course that would be of no benefit to anyone who has completed the Assimil course.

Prentice-Hall (Pearson) offers a set of course materials for use in a classroom situation under the title “Ponto de Encontro: Portuguese as a World Language” for which there exists a European sub-set. The materials are not designed for self-instruction, the answer keys and transcripts are available to registered instructors only, and a complete set would be prohibitively expensive in comparison to any value that they might represent to a student who has already completed Assimil.

Finally, concerning the differences between the European and Brazilian variants of Portuguese, there is broad consensus that these are minimal. For this reason, you might also wish to consider using the FSI/DLI Portuguese courses as alternatives. In fact, you could redo the Assimil experience by using their course for Brazilian Portuguese. Ultimately, though, you’ll have to remove the training wheels and get into the traffic (native materials).

The European Portuguese assimil course is not in English. Is there an English version I am not aware of or is there a translation of the French course out there somewhere?
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:55 pm

My apologies, in my haste to reply, I misinterpreted your original question. Either way, I guess that leaves you with Linguaphone!

Linguaphone Portuguese
Presently 50% below the regular price.
https://www.linguaphone.co.uk/language/portuguese.html

Linguaphone Portuguese on eBayUK
Same some money and learn how to convert cassettes (or even 78 rpm vinyl records) to mp3 files, it’ll put hair on your chest!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Linguaphone&_oac=1&_osacat=0&_ipg=200&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Linguaphone+Portuguese&_sacat=0

EDITED:
Expansion of the text
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:48 am

My main resource has been the monolingual "Portugues XXI" (by Ana Tavares). One textbook, one exercise book, one CD - in nothing but the target language (but the textbook has a vocabulary section in four-five languages). According to the cover, the level is A1, which isn't too impressive. Nevertheless, I sometimes review the material. If I were to use another course, I'd probably have a go at DLI or FSI.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:51 am

You might try this site. I bought the Portugal version of his book Learning Portuguese about four years ago in anticipation of a trip there. Rafael (Rafa) is enthusiastic about his native language.

He also has some "tickers" for learning vocabulary. I used them to learn basic phrases prior to our trip there. We were off the beaten path where there wasn't always English spoken so it was useful. Rafael grew up in Venezuela but his parents were Portuguese and he lived in Portugal from the age of 10.
0 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Dtmont
Yellow Belt

Postby Dtmont » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:31 pm

Adding on to my question. I do own the Brazilian Portuguese version of Assimil. Would going through this be useless if I am wanting to learn European Portuguese?
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:59 pm

Dtmont wrote:Adding on to my question. I do own the Brazilian Portuguese version of Assimil. Would going through this be useless if I am wanting to learn European Portuguese?
Yes, actually, it would not be just useless, studying Assimil Brazilian would be dangerously counter-productive. I suggest that you discard your copy of this course immediately. Any advice that you have already been given concerning the infinitesimally minor differences between Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese is nothing but a deceitful attempt at disrupting your studies. ;)
Last edited by Speakeasy on Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Postby Random Review » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:12 pm

Dtmont wrote:Adding on to my question. I do own the Brazilian Portuguese version of Assimil. Would going through this be useless if I am wanting to learn European Portuguese?

What do you want it for? You can definitely talk to Portuguese people using Brazilian Portuguese no problem whatsoever (they are very familiar with it from TV and Brazilians living in Portugal); you will need to supplement it with something else if you hope to understand their replies though.

Even better, in my experience Portuguese people are also perfectly happy for you to speak to them in the Brazilian dialect of their language. Unless you're planning to move to Portugal, I wouldn't even worry about it.

Do you speak Spanish? You can get Assimil with a Spanish base for European Portuguese too.
0 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

Dtmont
Yellow Belt

Postby Dtmont » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:10 pm

Speakeasy wrote:My apologies, in my haste to reply, I misinterpreted your original question. Either way, I guess that leaves you with Linguaphone!

Linguaphone Portuguese
Presently 50% below the regular price.
https://www.linguaphone.co.uk/language/portuguese.html

Linguaphone Portuguese on eBayUK
Same some money and learn how to convert cassettes (or even 78 rpm vinyl records) to mp3 files, it’ll put hair on your chest!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Linguaphone&_oac=1&_osacat=0&_ipg=200&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Linguaphone+Portuguese&_sacat=0

EDITED:
Expansion of the text

Do you have any experience with the newer linguaphone Portuguese course? Is it worth it?
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”