Assimil Spanish C1??

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Avasquez65
Languages: English (N), French (intermediate), Spanish (beginner)

Assimil Spanish C1??

Postby Avasquez65 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:39 am

I’m back again with a question: is there an Assimil Spanish C1 course for English speakers? I know there is one for Avanced Course French for English Speakers, but I haven’t seen one for Spanish.
If you happen to know of one please let me know, I wanna get all of my materials before hand.
Last edited by Avasquez65 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Re: Assimil Spanish C1??

Postby sillygoose1 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:45 am

There is one that is out of print called Using Spanish, however I don't believe it will actually take you to C1.
1 x

jonm
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Re: Assimil Spanish C1??

Postby jonm » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:23 pm

Hi Avasquez65, if you'd be comfortable doing an Assimil course where the base language is French rather than English, there's also a more recent advanced Assimil Spanish course (from 2015) that's currently only available in French. For what it's worth, I'm around B1 in French, and I'm doing French-base Assimil courses with little difficulty.

And the older course that sillygoose1 mentioned was published in French as well as English. Both versions are out of print but can probably be found used. And actually, if you can find the book used but need the audio, you can still order it from Assimil here. That's what I did, and I can confirm that it matches up.

So if you're comfortable with French as the base language, there are three options: the new course in French, the old course in French, and the old course in English.

I've done the first couple lessons of the old course, and I've listened to the sample lessons from the new course here, and the new course seems easier. I'm around C1 in Spanish, and the new course seems easier than that, whereas the old course has things that are new for me. I completely agree with sillygoose1 that Assimil courses alone won't take you to C1, but I would say that the old course does have some C1 language in it. For example, there are lessons where they really pile on the idioms, and some of them I've never heard before.

So I went for the old course because I wanted it to be as challenging as possible (and also because I prefer the voices, though that's very subjective), but for following the Sans Peine course that you're doing now, the new course could be a good option.

I know you said you'd like to get all your materials ahead of time, but waiting until you're most of the way through the Sans Peine course might help you get a sense which of these advanced courses would suit you better.
5 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”