Guten Tag!

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
RandH
Languages: English (American); learning Spanish, French, Portuguese

Guten Tag!

Postby RandH » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:00 pm

I am looking for copies of the German language teaching film series Guten Tag. They were produced by the Goethe Institut in the early 60s.

Unfortunately, the Goethe Institut no longer has this series available, and they are not on YouTube or any other streaming service. Only two (at the most) libraries in the United States have copies, and it is not practical for me to borrow either one. Does anyone know where I might find these films?

Danke!
1 x

Speakeasy

Re: Guten Tag!

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:58 am

Welcome to the Forum! Would you be referring to this series on YouTube? …

Correction:
The previous link was for “Part 2” of the Guten Tag series. Here are the corrected links …

Guten Tag (YouTube German 150)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_i2B_tY5CA&list=PLGI70ZxPkNjkrWlL0iY92WbLcMJyunBSo

Guten Tag, Wie Geht’s (YouTube German 250)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGZd-AmZcl6iHj1G4wayoMHIcGQ0cdIU8

Please note also that, in reply to Elexi’s question below, I have provided a little more information on this series.

EDITED:
Correction to link.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:59 am

Thanks RandH and Speakeasy!

Two minutes in and there's an classroom full of Bavarian kids saying that Beethoven, Brahms, and Schubert look like a bunch of hippies. I didn't know I needed this in my life.
3 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:51 pm

Has anyone seen the book to this course - I have tried to get a copy, but it is generally very expensive. If you have seen it, what does it contain?
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:13 am

A German Language Course for Television
I have what-appears-to-be a complete set of the student materials (course books and vinyl records) for this two-part television series for the teaching of German. As far as I can tell, the filmed episodes were made available to various national broadcasting companies and universities both in animated format and as static film strips or photographic slides. From my searches of the internet, it would seem that the course manuals were published in a number of base languages: English, French, Spanish, Finnish, usw. The YouTube link that I provided in my initial reply was for “Part 2” of this series.

Part 1 – Guten Tag
The first part, entitled “Guten Tag”, was published in 1968 jointly by the Goethe Institute and Langenscheidt for the self-or-television-assisted instruction of German. The 26 progressive episodes follow the adventures of five main characters as they engage in predictable daily activities, excursions, and the like. The individual lessons contain a basic dialogue, exercises based thereon, a glossary, and brief explanations of the grammar features deployed in the dialogue. I would estimate the level upon completion at about CEFR A1. I have appended, below, an image taken from Episode 25.

Guten Tag (YouTube German 150)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_i2B_tY5CA&list=PLGI70ZxPkNjkrWlL0iY92WbLcMJyunBSo
1 Guten Tag.JPG

2 Guten Tag.JPG

Part 2 – Guten Tag, Wie Geht’s?
The second part, entitied “Guten Tag, Wie Geht’s?” was published in 1972 by the Goethe Institute and Langenscheidt as a sequel to “Guten Tag.” As in the original series, the 26 progressive episodes follow the adventures of five main characters as they engage in predictable daily activities, excursions, school, and the like. The individual lessons contain a basic dialogue, exercises based thereon, a glossary, and brief explanations of the grammar features deployed in the dialogue. The course manual episodes contain numerous black&white still photographs drawn from the television series. I would estimate the level upon completion at about CEFR A2. I have appended, below, an image taken from Episode 25.

Guten Tag, Wie Geht’s (YouTube German 250)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGZd-AmZcl6iHj1G4wayoMHIcGQ0cdIU8
3 Guten Tage, Wie Geht's.JPG

4 Guten Tage, Wie Geht's.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:27 am

Elexi wrote:Has anyone seen the book to this course - I have tried to get a copy, but it is generally very expensive. If you have seen it, what does it contain?
There appear to be some cheap copies available.

The British Library has a copy: Guten Tag : Ein deutscher Sprachkurs für das Fernsehen.

Using the title as a search term in Abebooks.co.uk gets ISBN numbers "ISBN 10: 3468481004 / ISBN 13: 9783468481000 ", some of these copies are not that expensive, and you can use the ISBN numbers to search other retailers, eBay, booklooker etc.

EDIT
Using the english title from Speakeasy's post "Guten Tag a german language course for television" in Abebooks.co.uk, produces some different ISBN numbers, "ISBN 10: 3468967012 ISBN 13: 9783468967016 "
Last edited by DaveAgain on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:25 pm

Thanks all - After searching I managed to find a copy of Guten Tag, Wie Geht’s? for under £10 - and I downloaded the YouTube videos, so I will enjoy working through them. Is there anything else that accompanies the second course?
0 x

Daristani
Orange Belt

Postby Daristani » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:16 pm

Many thanks to everyone in the above thread for bringing this series up, and for providing the very helpful descriptions and links.

I love the retro videos, and so ordered the two books; the first one has come, and I'm still waiting for the second one. To respond to Elexi's question above, I searched for "Guten Tag Wie Geht's" at bookfinder.com and got the following results:

https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?auth ... t=sr&ac=qr

It seems that the second volume to the course, as shown by Speakeasy, has the sub-title "German by Television for Advanced Learners" and is still available for reasonable prices at the above link.
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”