What happened to Google Translate?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

What happened to Google Translate?

Postby Iversen » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:03 am

As it may be known from my log I have been a heavy user of Google translate for one single purpose, namely to produce bilingual texts for weak target languages - but today I wanted to make some more texts and was flabbergasted to see a new version that simply doesn't function properly. The first translation you make seems to work as intended, but after that it doesn't matter what you do in the left window - and the new blue 'translate' button doesn't react to clicks. Am I the only one who see this, or does it work on other platforms like tablets or smartphones? So far the only solution I have found is to remove the message to the left completely with the X button (or to close and reopen the whole application for each new block of text). This is OK for my use of it, but I don't like to work in programs versions with such blatant errors - what else might be wrong?

The other machine translation systems I have seen have fewer languages or sometimes just one, or they rely on Google Translate, so it is a real problem if the new faulty version of GT isn't mended soon.
1 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Re: Who killed Google Translate?

Postby Jaleel10 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:29 am

[Slightly unrelated] One of the members in our online group was caught out like this.

She wanted to write apple pie, and google translate translated it as ''pie de manzanas'' :lol:

This was another funny one from the r/Spanish subreddit

I mostly use DeepL translator nowadays but I actually thought Google Translate would have surpassed it by now, seems not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by Jaleel10 on Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: What happened to Google Translate?

Postby rdearman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:30 am

It looks like you just change the text and it automatically translates. You no longer need to hit the button.
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:31 am

rdearman wrote:It looks like you just change the text and it automatically translates. You no longer need to hit the button.

No, it doesn't. That was how it (mostly) functioned before, but now changes to the left (or pressing the blue arrow) have no effect on the text to the right..

GT failure.jpg

EDIT: my example above was made using Firefox, but I then got the idea to try an old Explorer version which I only keep for use with my local photo and music collection and NOT for surfing. Here the layout for some reason is different, whith the translation below the original text, and here I actually did see translation changes - but apparently Danish "makværk" isn't part of the library:

GT armensk partial failure.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:24 am

You could try Microsoft Bing Translator for ad-hoc translations. It works like Google Translate used to work. The quality isn't as good as Google Translate, though.

For large texts you could also use Google Docs to translate text. (This method requires a [throwaway] Google account.)

There are also many browser extensions that you could use. If you let us know what browser(s) you use, I'm sure you'll get many add-on recommendations.
0 x

drmweaver2
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (A1/A2), German (A1/A2)
Spanish(HS/college, maybe A2- now extinct), Japanese(lvl-0, even that's long forgotten), Thai (absolute beginner...not even A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8997

Postby drmweaver2 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:25 pm

FWIW, I use Chrome.
I just tried 5 sentences in Eng>Russian and Russian<Eng. Nothing's different from how it worked yesterday.

Obviously, YMMV
0 x
I'm going to read Lord of the Rings in Russian - Me (some time ago)
Never say something is impossible. Everytime, there is a moron who doesn't know it's impossible, so he goes and does it.-Cavesa -Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:45 pm

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:01 pm

I use Chrome in Windows 7.

GT seems to be working the same as always. It translates as you type or edit.
0 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:11 pm

Just tried the new version on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.
It seems to work, maybe you caught them through the transition.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:24 pm

Doitsujin wrote:You could try Microsoft Bing Translator for ad-hoc translations. It works like Google Translate used to work. The quality isn't as good as Google Translate, though

... but it works, and that's the important thing. When I add or remove text I get the relevant translations. The only way I can get Google Translate in its current miserable state to react after the first input is by removing everything with X and insert the new input as one bloc - I can't add more content as I find it as I could as late as Monday. Unfortunately Bing hasn't got some of my target languages like Irish and Albanian so I can't just kick the new rotten version from Google out of the window ... and well, in principle Google might correct whatever error there is with the blue arrow when you use certain browsers, but I'll see it before I believe it.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:47 pm

I experienced some changes yesterday - as it happened, I was working with a text and wanted to tweak it to get the results I was looking for. All of sudden I couldn't change the text at all (as if it was grey/locked) - only go back in the browser window. This was right under the search field on Google. When I went to the Translate app, it all worked fine.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”