Languages: English (N)
Shona (N)
French (DELF B2)
German (Goethe-Zertifikat B2)
Spanish (DELE B2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8686

General Méthode 90 Course Discussion

Postby Skynet » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:50 pm

I am opening this thread to discuss one of the least-mentioned courses on the forum. To describe mentions of Méthode 90 as being ephemeral is a gross understatement. Whilst they were designed in French like Assimil's Perfectionnement series, they remain largely unknown.

I managed to find these threads (with a lot of assistance) from the seemingly moribund HTLAL (YIKES! That site could stop working at any time! :cry: ):

Méthode 90 - Le Russe, Editions of Méthode 90 courses and Methode 90 materials

I own Méthode 90 allemand (this one) and went through the first 15 lessons to compare it with the three Assimil German courses that I am currently studying. I am extremely impressed by this course and would further posit (preliminary) that it may be better than Assimil's crowning jewel, German Without Toil.

I would like to formally extend an invitation to those who have used any of the myriad M90 courses to share their experiences with them, and wherever possible, to make a comparison to/with any of the "Big Three" language courses: Assimil, Linguaphone, Living Language Ultimate.
9 x

ClaireB
Languages: French (Native), English (C1), Japanese (B2), German (B2), Russian (A2), Spanish (beginner), Italian (beginner), Danish (beginner)

Re: General Méthode 90 Course Discussion

Postby ClaireB » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:45 pm

I am a huge fan of the original Méthode 90 books. I own copies of the russian, german, italian, spanish, arabic, portuguese, dutch and chinese course. I think you could split them in “generations”, like you would Assimil :

First generation courses are available in german, spanish, italian, russian and english (I don’t have a copy of that one). The course is split in groups of ten lessons (instead
of the Assimil 7-lessons-a-week groups) with an extra summing-up lessons in between. I don’t have the books on hand at the moment, but I clearly remember the russian one is 1-10, 10 bis, 11-20, 2 bis, etc... until 75 (I think there is a 75bis, definetely a 70bis). Grammar and vocabulary is introduced in these lessons, the last 15 are only texts from litterature and newspapers. Every lesson is organized on 4 pages, target language on the first left hand page, translation and new vocabulary on the first right hand page, then grammar explanations on the second left-hand page, and exercises with keys on the last, right-hand page. There are usually 4 exercises per lesson, two translations exercises (target language to native language, and the other way around, approximately 10 sentences each) and two exercises with fill-in-the-blanks to practice conjugations, declensions, gender or number changes. Around... lesson 30 or 40 I think, there’s also a small literary text at the end to practice reading.

Second generation courses added portuguese, arabic and dutch. Same layout, but the texts at the end are, as far as I remember, only newspaper extracts, not litterature.

There is also a Pratique Courante for italian, spanish and german (like Assimil Perfectionnement), separate grammar books with exercises for italian, german, spanish, portuguese and arabic, and vocabulary books (theme-based) for german and spanish.

Third generation added chinese, and introduced a new spanish course, and a new german course (which is only 50 lessons long !). Those were called “Pratique de Base”, not Méthode 90.

The “new” german and spanish, and “old” russian, italian, dutch, chinese and arabic books are still available under the name “Language” Débutants (as in, for example, “Russe Débutants”). The grammar books are still available, including the portuguese one, even though the course itself is out of print. I think the Pratique courante and vocabulary books haven’t been reprinted.

Audio is a mixed basket: the original courses were on tape, though I have never been able to get my hands on the portuguese one (and would be very interested if someone happened to have the tapes...). Russian, german, spanish, chinese and italian are available on CD’s, but for the italian several lessons are missing (that’s from the official CD’s, not some internet version). I have the italian tapes, but have never listened to them, so I can’t say at the moment if they are complete. The arabic and dutch books have been reprinted, but not the audio (and I can’t understand why, especially for arabic...)

I don’t think there ever was audio for the Pratique Courante.

I have actively used the russian, italian, spanish (and to a lesser extent) german books. They are, in my opinion, very good, as long as you don’t mind a traditional approach with grammar lessons, vocabulary lists to learn and translation exercises. I find that the languages stick better in my mind that way than with the “official” Assimil way, but they require a lot more work, especially if you keep to the 1-lesson-a-day schedule. However, if you do study properly, I am confident those books, especially the first generation ones, will take you to B2.

They are only available in french....
9 x

neumanc
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: German (native), English, Dutch
Studies: French (advanced), Spanish (false beginner)
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Latin

Postby neumanc » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:48 pm

ClaireB wrote:Third generation added chinese, and introduced a new spanish course, and a new german course (which is only 50 lessons long !). Those were called “Pratique de Base”, not Méthode 90.

The “new” german and spanish, and “old” russian, italian, dutch, chinese and arabic books are still available under the name “Language” Débutants (as in, for example, “Russe Débutants”). The grammar books are still available, including the portuguese one, even though the course itself is out of print. I think the Pratique courante and vocabulary books haven’t been reprinted.

Audio is a mixed basket: the original courses were on tape, though I have never been able to get my hands on the portuguese one (and would be very interested if someone happened to have the tapes...). Russian, german, spanish, chinese and italian are available on CD’s, but for the italian several lessons are missing (that’s from the official CD’s, not some internet version). I have the italian tapes, but have never listened to them, so I can’t say at the moment if they are complete. The arabic and dutch books have been reprinted, but not the audio (and I can’t understand why, especially for arabic...)
Thank you, ClaireB, for this very informative post. I didn't know that there were different generations of the Methode 90 courses. I thought that they were just renamed several times. May I suppose that "Le [language] en 90 leçons et en 90 jours" are the first generation courses? If so, are the courses that are titled "Le [language] d'aujoud'hui en 90 leçons et en 90 jours" second generation courses, i.e. identical with the first generation courses? Do I understand correctly that the third generation was called "Le [language] pratique de base" and later renamed "Le [language] débutants"?
2 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:02 pm

Thank you, Skynet, ClaireB and neumanc for this interesting thread.
In addition to the courses mentioned above there were two French courses (in English and Spanish base). I have never been able to locate the audio cassettes, though.
Here is the previous thread on the French method.
https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =19&t=7358
2 x

ClaireB
Languages: French (Native), English (C1), Japanese (B2), German (B2), Russian (A2), Spanish (beginner), Italian (beginner), Danish (beginner)

Postby ClaireB » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:28 pm

neumanc wrote:Thank you, ClaireB, for this very informative post. I didn't know that there were different generations of the Methode 90 courses. I thought that they were just renamed several times. May I suppose that "Le [language] en 90 leçons et en 90 jours" are the first generation courses? If so, are the courses that are titled "Le [language] d'aujoud'hui en 90 leçons et en 90 jours" second generation courses, i.e. identical with the first generation courses? Do I understand correctly that the third generation was called "Le [language] pratique de base" and later renamed "Le [language] débutants"?

Yes, that’s exactly it. Though now that I have checked, the “new” spanish course was second, not third generation. To sum it up :

- Russian : only one course (and a very good one at that !), audio available as CDs, called these days “Russe Débutants

- Italian : same thing, but the CDs are not complete. The course is not as good as the other ones, I still quite like it.

- German : first and second generations had the same content, 90 lessons, very good course, audio cassettes were available. A new course of only 50 lessons was introduced as the third generation, and is still in print. The audio comes on CDs.

- Spanish : first generation course is 90 lessons, audio was on cassettes. New course introduced in the second generation as “L’Espagnol d’aujourd’hui en 90 leçons et 90 jours », and is still in print as « Espagnol - Débutants ». Audio is available on CDs

- Arabic and Dutch were introduced as second generation courses, are in print, but the audio has not been re-released and was only available on cassettes.

- Mandarin Chinese was introduced as third generation, and is still fully available with audio

- Portuguese was introduced as second generation, reprinted as third, but is no longer available, though the grammar book (« Grammaire Active du Portugais ») is.
5 x

neumanc
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: German (native), English, Dutch
Studies: French (advanced), Spanish (false beginner)
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Latin

Postby neumanc » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:15 pm

ClaireB wrote:I don’t think there ever was audio for the Pratique Courante.
Yes, there is audio, but only for the advanced English course, which is still available with 3 CDs: http://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/2253088072/.
There's even a course for office English with 5 CDs: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/2253088080/
1 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:14 pm

Wow, I just flipped through the Russian one, this is a very dense course, in a good way. The lessons in the 80s are 2-3 page extracts from literature. The Assimil lessons usually just have about 1.5 page extracts, and they're not in long prose form either. These are also a bit more contemporary - Lenin, Bulgakov, Ilf & Petrov rather than Chekhov or Pushkin. I should track down the French one to add to my list. Anyone have experience with the Chinese? I have a bunch of reading material already but if they are publishing bilingual extracts from Mao and other modern literature it can never hurt to have too much.
2 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:28 am

I don't have experience with the Chinois débutant course, but I do own it. Flipping through it now, I see that the texts switch from dialogue to prose at lesson 71. The texts are never longer than half a page and seem to have been written for the textbook. Nevertheless, they do cover a wide variety of topics and would probably be a good preparation for then exploring other texts.
Prose titles are as follows:
71 夏天的早晨 (Un matin d'été)
72 春天的郊外 (La banlieue au printemps)
73 过春节 (Fêter la fête du Printemps)
74 春节文艺晚会真精彩 (La soirée théâtrale de la fête du Printemps est vraiment formidable)
75 不到长城非好汉 ("Qui n'est pas allé à la Grande Muraille n'est pas vraiment un homme")
76 大河向东流 (Les grands fleuves coulent vers l'est)
77 十五的月亮 (La lune du 15 (août))
78 坐公共汽车(Prendre l'autobus)
79 请客吃饭的学问 (Les règles du savoir-vivre quand on invite quelqu'un à manger)
80 可怜天下父母心 (Les soucis des parents partout dans le monde)
81 敬老的传统 (La tradition du respect envers les personnes âgées)
82 香山的红叶 (Les feuilles rouges de la Colline parfumée)
83 上有天堂,下有苏杭 ("Au ciel il y a le paradis, sur terre il y a Suzhou et Hangzhou")
84 人口问题 (Le problème démographique)
85 小太阳 (Le petit soleil)
86 我家有个外来妹 (Chez nous, il y a une jeune fille de la campagne)
87 王老五结婚 (Wang Laowu se marie)
88 老百姓买房 (Les gens des classes moyennes achètent leur logement)
89 中国人的世界观 (La conception du monde des Chinois)
90 龙是中华民族的象征 (Le dragon est le symbole de la nation chinoise)
3 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:12 am

I have almost all the books of Méthode 90, and I read a few of them: german, italian, russian.
These are good courses, of course, but one of the problem is the learning curve: the 25 first lessons present the basis of the grammar, and then from lesson 26 to 75, there are thematic lessons: lesson #26: how to drive. Perhaps it's easy in italian and german, but in russian that lesson and the followings are extremely difficult and relatively useless if your aim is to learn to communicate quickly with native speakers. Personaly, I gave up the russian version after lesson #25, and read the book completly again a few years later, when my russian was more solid.
My 2 cents, of course.
3 x

Melkor
Yellow Belt
Languages: US English*
German (Goethe A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9161

Postby Melkor » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:23 am

Arnaud wrote:I have almost all the books of Méthode 90, and I read a few of them: german, italian, russian.
These are good courses, of course, but one of the problem is the learning curve: the 25 first lessons present the basis of the grammar, and then from lesson 26 to 75, there are thematic lessons: lesson #26: how to drive. Perhaps it's easy in italian and german, but in russian that lesson and the followings are extremely difficult and relatively useless if your aim is to learn to communicate quickly with native speakers. Personaly, I gave up the russian version after lesson #25, and read the book completly again a few years later, when my russian was more solid.
My 2 cents, of course.

Maiwenn wrote:I don't have experience with the Chinois débutant course, but I do own it. Flipping through it now, I see that the texts switch from dialogue to prose at lesson 71. The texts are never longer than half a page and seem to have been written for the textbook. Nevertheless, they do cover a wide variety of topics and would probably be a good preparation for then exploring other texts.

Skynet wrote: to make a comparison to/with any of the "Big Three" language courses: Assimil, Linguaphone, Living Language Ultimate.

Arnaud and Maiwenn, how do the M90 courses that you have done stack up against the "Big Three?" At what level would you be expected to be at after completing an M90 course?
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”