The Duolingo Thread

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Re: The Duolingo Thread

Postby luke » Fri May 25, 2018 7:25 am

A bunch of new "skills" showed up in the Esperanto Duolingo tree yesterday, including Business, Word Building, Esperanto Culture, and Flirting.
1 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

BellyKather
Languages: Chinese and English

Postby BellyKather » Fri May 25, 2018 11:29 am

404 page in duolingo? zs.duolingo.com/
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri May 25, 2018 9:59 pm

It worked fine for me just a short while ago ( http://www.duolingo.com that is).
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Hank
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), Welsh (studying)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1833

Postby Hank » Sat May 26, 2018 1:20 pm

After reading about the changes to Duolingo in this thread I was curious and decided to give it a shot. I randomly chose Italian and tried a few lessons. I really like it. It seems like, for me at least, it would be more effective than the old setup. I may do some Duolingo dabbling in Italian now...or maybe Irish...or German...well...you get the point. :lol:
2 x
Future travel plans:
2020: Cruise to Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, Bahamas

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Sat May 26, 2018 3:47 pm

I hate the app with a passion now. I like the crowns, but I don’t understand why you get completely kicked out after making five mistakes. It’s not all conducive to learning. I’m using the desktop version for Russian, and have been finding it very useful, but I’ve deleted the app.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat May 26, 2018 4:00 pm

Stelle wrote:I hate the app with a passion now. I like the crowns, but I don’t understand why you get completely kicked out after making five mistakes. It’s not all conducive to learning. I’m using the desktop version for Russian, and have been finding it very useful, but I’ve deleted the app.

This might be the famous"health system". There have been many complaints about this on the duolingo forum, it is a "feature" only some users have got, and it is independent from the crowns, and it is also not present in the app for the luckier part of the userbase. So far, it doesn't look like Duolingo is gonna get rid of this.
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat May 26, 2018 4:42 pm

Hank wrote:or maybe Irish

Just avoid the Irish course; it's pretty terrible, honestly. It's clear that the creators weren't native speakers, with lots of things being phrased based off English, or not something natives would say, or correct in only one dialect (with no indication of this) or just translated wrong (not to mention lack of context makes some things with Irish very difficult). Plus, they're not active anymore, so it doesn't seem as if it'll ever be getting fixed.
5 x

Hank
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), Welsh (studying)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1833

Postby Hank » Wed May 30, 2018 1:06 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:
Hank wrote:or maybe Irish

Just avoid the Irish course; it's pretty terrible, honestly. It's clear that the creators weren't native speakers, with lots of things being phrased based off English, or not something natives would say, or correct in only one dialect (with no indication of this) or just translated wrong (not to mention lack of context makes some things with Irish very difficult). Plus, they're not active anymore, so it doesn't seem as if it'll ever be getting fixed.

That stinks. Thanks for the info.
0 x
Future travel plans:
2020: Cruise to Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, Bahamas

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed May 30, 2018 3:51 pm

I've seen a number of Spanish gerundium examples which I think are based on the English progressive -ing-form - and I don't think it's used that much in "real" Spanish. Something like "Are you working tomorrow?" will be "Estás trabajando mañana?". (A search for these made up examples gives +15,000 hits vs. 150 hits). If I see it in a native text, fine, but if I see it in Duolingo, I'm not so sure.
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Wed May 30, 2018 7:39 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:I've seen a number of Spanish gerundium examples which I think are based on the English progressive -ing-form - and I don't think it's used that much in "real" Spanish. Something like "Are you working tomorrow?" will be "Estás trabajando mañana?". (A search for these made up examples gives +15,000 hits vs. 150 hits). If I see it in a native text, fine, but if I see it in Duolingo, I'm not so sure.

As far as I'm aware, that's completely wrong, as wrong as "I will do it yesterday". Duolingo has had a problem with their language moderators, and some of them have clearly followed a policy of "that's a literal translation, so it's correct."
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”