LingoJump: Parallel Audio

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:26 am

During my obsessive searching the Internet for language-learning materials that I certainly do not need, I came across a recently-released parallel language audio book collection operating under the name LingoJump. The series is available from several language bases -- English, French, German, Italian, Spanish -- and offers a long list of target languages. The products, which are available in one or more levels and which are remarkably low-priced, seem to be available via the company’s website and via Audible:

LingoJump
https://lingojump.com/

Audible
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_date-desc-rank?keywords=parallel+audio%2C+lingo+jump&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aparallel+audio%5Cc+lingo+jump&qid=1540080643&sort=date-desc-rank

My attempts a playing the “sample audio” yielded only a promotional description of the product, not the actual target language audio files. As the products are available on Audible, I would assume that they are of reasonably good quality. Has anyone tried them?
2 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: LingoJump: Parallel Audio

Postby Kraut » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:51 am

2 x

Soclydeza
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Actively Studying:
German (B2)
Italian (False beginner)
Norwegian (Beginner)

Dormant:
French (Lower intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9066

Postby Soclydeza » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:59 am

I was actually thinking about something like this the other day. I was listening to a German news podcast and they were playing a clip of a guy speaking English and then the commentator would translate it to German and the way they did it was kind of back and forth like a parallel audio (though this was not their intention) and it was interesting to hear the juxtaposition of what we would say in English to how the Germans would express the same idea (i.e., with their own words, not a direct translation). I think there is a lot of value in a system like this for advanced learners who have an extensive vocabulary but have trouble expressing things the way a native would.

As for this program itself, this is my first time hearing about it but I definitely don't think it looks horrible. If customized a bit (i.e., studying words beforehand then practicing their use in sentences) I could picture it being very beneficial for a beginner and even an intermediate/advanced learner for the reasons stated above. I don't know any Spanish so I can't comment on whether the translations in that vid are faulty though.
3 x
END OF YEAR
: 108 / 108 Babbel Italian (Beginner)
: 47 / 47 Babbel Italian (Intermediate)

CONTINUOUS
: 27 / 100 Assimil Italian

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:30 am

The audio is not parallel. :lol: Langenscheidt audio vocabulary builders are way better.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =19&t=7461
0 x

CloudBe
Languages: RussianB2, German fluent ,French B2

Postby CloudBe » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:49 am

the audio on Lingo Jump is actually "parallel".

the German book is structured like this:
English phrase - German translation spoken naturally - then repeated very slowly - then another repeat spoken a little faster, then naturally spoken.

the slow bits are pretty much for absolute beginners which can be annoying, but you can catch details of words which are usually spoken fast.

in other chapters they take out the repeats and other options. so in the end you are only hearing the German repeat once spoken normally. at the end of the book you can test yourself. I would say I am fluent in German, and using this sharpens it.

I use it in the car. The ebook lets me check some words I don't understand and give some grammar points (not when driving of course). its good and well priced. would prefer a woman voice rather than male - whilst driving my car its hard to hear the male voice as it can merge with the motor and I miss the nuances.

I have tried pimsleur Russian, they work with repeats too, but its pricy.
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:34 pm

That was written partially in jest but let me explain what I meant.

Text can be described as existing in space. You can focus your attention on one sentence, glance at the translation, go back to the same sentence. It is much easier to capture such a sentence or even a block of text in your mind, let it go and refer to the translation.

The audio exists in time. You need to manipulate the recording. When you get to the desired spot, the sentences are played sequentially. A true parallel audio stream would be listening to music and GPS instructors from the same source.

Anyway I am glad to hear that you like the course.
0 x

CloudBe
Languages: RussianB2, German fluent ,French B2

Postby CloudBe » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:58 am

Well described - I understand what you mean now. Thanks.

I really like parallel text for that reason. I find its a bit like puzzling - trying to piece it together.
0 x

ASEAN
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Thai (A0)

Postby ASEAN » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:34 pm

Book2 has parallel audio with over 50 base and target languages. (If you want to change the base language, just click "English US" next to the American flag.) There is an app and a physical book can be purchased for a few of the language combinations.
1 x

EDITH
Languages: english french

Postby EDITH » Thu May 09, 2024 8:04 pm

Has anyone else had a problem their order from lingojump. I was unable to access mine. Then access was unavailable. I emailed and asked for help. Got no response. Asked for a refund. No response. No customer support, no customer service. My credit card was charged. I feel as though I have been scammed. I paid in good faith and got nothing, not even a reply to my email. Only a very dishonest company treats customers like this.
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu May 09, 2024 10:00 pm

This is very good to know, Edith.
Thank you for posting the warning.
As for Audible, I have never been scammed by them, but their methods make it tricky to disengage from them. So be careful about that as well.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”