Unwanted barrage of emails from Lingora

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Unwanted barrage of emails from Lingora

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:50 pm

Cainntear wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:The second has the following instructions "please reply to this message with the word STOP and we will ensure you no longer get any communications from us. Thanks Elingora team". I've tried that and it worked for a while.

If they've disregarded a stop notice, get the ICO on them. They're in breach of the law in multiple ways.

The project co/founder is now aware of the concern and I'm more than willing to have him solve this quickly - It's likely faster than reaching out to the ICO.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:52 pm

Hmmm...
(g) send you marketing communications relating to our business (or the businesses of carefully-selected third parties) which we think may be of interest to you, by post or, where you have specifically agreed to this, by email or similar technology (you can inform us at any time if you no longer require marketing communications);

That technically says that post is non-negotiable, and only email (or similar) is opt-in. That sounds like it's against the GDPR.
(h) provide third parties with statistical information about our users (but those third parties will not be able to identify any individual user from that information);

That's got to be opt-in too, as it's not strictly necessary for the provision of the service.
6.2 Information that we collect may be transferred to the following countries which do not have data protection laws equivalent to those in force in the European Economic Area: The United States of America, Russia, Japan, China and India.

Is that really legal? I thought EU businesses had to respect EU data protection laws.

Did you get the Ts&Cs checked for GDPR compliance?
0 x

ed101langs
White Belt

Postby ed101langs » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:10 pm

Cainntear wrote:
ed101langs wrote:In the meantime, please could you reply to this thread with the email address you signed up to Lingora with and I will get my technical team to remove your data from the system as a matter of urgency.

Wow. There's yet another GDPR problem right there -- encouraging public disclosure of private information. If that's your level of ignorance on data protection I'm really concerned about the state of your site.

Hello All,

We please accept our apologies for this severe inconvenience we have caused you all. Please be safe in the knowledge we have acted fast to remove your data from Lingora (those of you who have requested this).

Our tech team were doing some testing and accidentally forgot to delete data from our dev site. I have told them that this is not acceptable and they have now removed the data of those concerned with immediate effect. We have been made aware of the serious consequences of our negligence when it comes to the handling of our members' data and I am personally making sure that this gets resolved right away.

I would like to reassure those affected that they will not receive ANY further commmunications from Lingora whatsoever.

If you do (on the unlikely occasion) receive an email from Lingora, please email me at contact@elingora.com and I will immediately have your data removed from the platform.

Apologies once again

Edmund- Co Founder of Lingora

Edmund
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”