German dictionary that focuses on roots?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Soclydeza
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Actively Studying:
German (B2)
Italian (False beginner)
Norwegian (Beginner)

Dormant:
French (Lower intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9066

German dictionary that focuses on roots?

Postby Soclydeza » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:10 pm

What I mean is a dictionary or other resource that shows all words related to a root. For example: wickeln ---> verwickeln, entwickeln, auswickeln, etc. I know I can just do this myself but sometimes I'm unaware of other words that share the same root and being able to see all words related by root would be very helpful. I feel like there has to be something out there that has this but none of the online resources I use do. Is there anything like this?
1 x
END OF YEAR
: 108 / 108 Babbel Italian (Beginner)
: 47 / 47 Babbel Italian (Intermediate)

CONTINUOUS
: 27 / 100 Assimil Italian

Daristani
Orange Belt

Re: German dictionary that focuses on roots?

Postby Daristani » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:20 pm

You might take a look at the "German Word Family Dictionary", by Howard H. Keller.

The Amazon website has some comments, both positive and negative, that show how it's arranged:

https://www.amazon.com/German-Word-Fami ... dictionary
3 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:51 am

Socledyza, great idea! I have, as I would imagine you have, spent countless hours searching for variants of German compounds based on their root-words through the laborious process of trying to anticipate all of the possible prefixes. I wonder how native-speakers of German cope with this problem?

Daristani, great find! Despite its age and the price, I have just ordered a copy of “A German Word Family Dictionary.” I conducted a quick search and came across what was most likely the precursor of this dictionary entitled “German Root Lexicon” by the same author.

My additional searches using the terms “Stammwörterbuch, Kernwörterbuch, and Wurzelwörterbuch” yielded a few root-word dictionaries for Hebrew, Egyptian, and Ido (improved Esperanto) but, rather curiously, none for German.
0 x

Klara
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1),
B-ish: French, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Italian
A-ish: Russian, Swedish, Latin, Polish, Portuguese

Postby Klara » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:25 am

As a native German speaker I do not even think about German root-words or their possible prefixes. :D
But when I want to know such things in a foreign language, I go to this online dictionary

https://dict.leo.org/englisch-deutsch/*wickeln*

and perform a wildcard search. For exampel, the root *wickeln*. To get more adjectives or adverbs I would recommend to use the wildcard *wickel*.

That is for sure not an optimal way, but for me it works.
4 x

Daristani
Orange Belt

Postby Daristani » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:11 pm

I apologize for having suggested such an expensive book, but it's the only one I've ever seen that's arranged by root.

I had a copy once, which I never used very much, and later sold for considerably less than the prices being asked these days.

As a further comment, I think that it can be quite useful for expanding one's vocabulary, but that it would probably be more beneficial to people who already have a fairly broad vocabulary than for beginners, who would likely be overwhelmed by the many words derived from a given root.
0 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:24 pm

My German professor had a copy of this book and I *loved* it. It’s totally how I think. I haven’t seen it in 20 years, and now I want one...

Google books has a scan:

https://books.google.com/books?id=DzcC0 ... an&f=false
5 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:20 pm

Daristani wrote:I apologize for having suggested such an expensive book, ...
Good heavens, Daristani, there is no need to apologize! Had you not brought this little treasure to our attention, I would never have known about. Expensive, schmexpensive, I'll deduct the cost of this little baby from my income taxes and, in the event that it is questioned in an audit, I'll feign dementia and claim that I was just following your advice.
6 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:13 am

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/wickeln

abwickeln
aufwickeln
auswickeln
einwickeln
entwickeln
umwickeln
zuwickeln
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:07 am

Soclydeza wrote:What I mean is a dictionary or other resource that shows all words related to a root. For example: wickeln ---> verwickeln, entwickeln, auswickeln, etc. I know I can just do this myself but sometimes I'm unaware of other words that share the same root and being able to see all words related by root would be very helpful. I feel like there has to be something out there that has this but none of the online resources I use do. Is there anything like this?
May not be exactly what you are looking for but this book has a lot of useful information: Using German Vocabulary by Sarah M.B. Fagan
EDIT:
And this website: Word Formation (Wortbildung)
Last edited by aravinda on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:07 am

aravinda wrote: May not be exactly what you are looking for but this book has a lot of useful information: Using German Vocabulary by Sarah M.B. Fagan
Aravinda, thank you very much for your suggestion. I have a copy of this truly excellent reference work on German vocabulary. While it contains some valuable insights into how German words are constructed along with numerous exercises, the contents are not organized in a manner that would facilitate locating variants of a root-word. Rather, the selected items of vocabulary are grouped thematically, in three levels, each one of which, from the perspective of a learner of German, would be increasingly detailed and/or remote. A truly fabulous work, I place under my pillow at night in the anticipation of absorbing its contents during my REM sleep.
Using German Vocabulary (Table of Contents).JPG

EDITED:
Typos ... once again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”