German dictionary that focuses on roots?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Re: German dictionary that focuses on roots?

Postby aravinda » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:46 am

Speakeasy wrote:My additional searches using the terms “Stammwörterbuch, Kernwörterbuch, and Wurzelwörterbuch” yielded a few root-word dictionaries for Hebrew, Egyptian, and Ido (improved Esperanto) but, rather curiously, none for German.
I know you most likely meant such dictionaries for learners of German as a second language. There is at least one intended for language researchers and language historians: "Deutsches Wortfamilienwörterbuch (Dictionary of German Word Families)" which has 11549 pages and costs a whopping 1.000,00 € / $1,160.00 / £900.00! :shock:
2 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:38 pm

Resistance Is Futile!
Resistance Is Futile.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:02 pm

:) Before doing that I will have to do something like this:
La_casa_de_papel_intertitle.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:36 pm

I just received delivery of "A German Word Family Dictionary" by Howard Keller. It is exactly what many students of German have been dreaming of! I cannot fathom why this book is out-of-print. Soclydeza, had you not raised the subject, Daristani would not have recommended it, and I would never had the opportunity to track down a copy of this little treasure. Vielen, vielen Dank!

Extract from A German Word Family Dictionary
A German Word Family Dictionary (Extract).JPG
5 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”