Luca's Bidirectional Translation course

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
AML
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Luca's Bidirectional Translation course

Postby AML » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:12 pm

Has anyone taken Luca's Bidirectional Translation course? If so, is there any additional information in it beyond what he has already described for free, or is it simply a more professional presentation of what is already out there? Everything he describes below is rather general. He doesn't mention, for example, what to do when you make mistakes (perhaps you just forget about them and move on).

- 2008 video
- 2018 video
- Thai example, Part 1
- Thai example, Part 2
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Luca's Bidirectional Translation course

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:12 pm

it gets discussed a little on the bi-directional translation thread.
0 x

AML
Orange Belt

Postby AML » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:18 pm

DaveAgain wrote:it gets discussed a little on the bi-directional translation thread.

Thanks. I have already looked through that thread, but it's more about the method in general and not about Luca's course.
0 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:07 am

I have a friend who bought and completed the course (early 2010's version) and we discussed his method at length. Without trying to implicate myself it's basically like this:

Beginner phase:
Use Luca's SRS method* with the Assimil or Linguaphone dialougues (or any other dialogues or texts WITH audio. Audio is very important)

Usually takes about 6 months.

Intermediate phase:
Again try and obtain (near native as possible or advanced level) bilingual dialogues or texts but it's fine if you can't find any with audio. This stage is a little bit difficult to explain but it's basically the same as the beginner SRS phase with exception that each word or phrase that you encounter, you need to create a separate list of them and then use them to create a coherent story and have a native correct you (At least twice a week), you may also use these stories as tiny part of the SRS method.

You can also start Language Exchanges, start working with a tutor and or use a grammar reference/workbook.

Usually lasts 6 - 9 months.

Advanced phase:
Try and enjoy the language as much as possible as if it were your native language - but make it a habit. Nothing special to say here - he says that you can still take notes for review or try and improve your grammar.

He mentions that this is the longest phase and will take at least 1 to 2 years, depending on your exposure and your native language.

* He has sinced adapted and released new versions of his course but this is what it is in essence. His SRS method is a bit hard to explain, I don't think the mods or Luca would like me to do it in a public platform but please feel free to pm me and I'll try my best to line it out.
4 x

AML
Orange Belt

Postby AML » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:59 pm

AML wrote:Has anyone taken Luca's Bidirectional Translation course? If so, is there any additional information in it beyond what he has already described for free, or is it simply a more professional presentation of what is already out there? Everything he describes below is rather general. He doesn't mention, for example, what to do when you make mistakes (perhaps you just forget about them and move on).

- 2008 video
- 2018 video
- Thai example, Part 1
- Thai example, Part 2

Are there any thoughts as to why Luca's method would be better than, say, reading Assimil and then putting chunks and sentences (+ audio) into an SRS and reviewing regularly? Or is it simply a matter of motivation/workload? Obviously the SRS approach is more work, but it seems like it will yield greater learning, which is the whole point if you're aiming to become fluent like Luca is.

It just seems like Luca's method has essentially no long-term review after the first week, which doesn't seem like a good recipe for beginners to remember what they've learned, especially when you consider that he seems to advocate not getting a speaking partner until after Assimil is finished.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”