"Official" PODCAST (in Spanish) Reviews and Recommendations

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Re: "Official" PODCAST (in Spanish) Reviews and Recommendations

Postby Spoonary » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:43 pm

By now I think everyone knows that I love a certain podcast. :roll: Here is the description I wrote for it when I recommended it before.

Nadie Sabe Nada
A podcast based on improvisation, where Spanish comedians Andreu Buenafuente and Berto Romero react to questions and comments sent in to the Cadena Ser. I find this podcast very funny but it is definitely advanced stuff!
5 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:41 am

Spoonary wrote:By now I think everyone knows that I love a certain podcast. :roll: Here is the description I wrote for it when I recommended it before.

Nadie Sabe Nada
A podcast based on improvisation, where Spanish comedians Andreu Buenafuente and Berto Romero react to questions and comments sent in to the Cadena Ser. I find this podcast very funny but it is definitely advanced stuff!

It's already been mentioned in my log (credit to those who mentioned it!), but that sounds more along the lines of what I'm looking for - something with spontaneous conversation rather than just one or two people following a script and speaking very clearly. Maybe a bit too much to the other extreme, but only one way to find out! The ones in NoManches's list (although don't get me wrong, they sound great and I really appreciate the time taken to list them!) just sound like more of what I already listen to: interesting but not challenging enough. I know that RNE has a million and one podcasts and there's no doubt more than enough great stuff for anyone in there, but it's hard to know where to start with a huge list with only vague categories.
2 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:20 am

garyb wrote:It's already been mentioned in my log (credit to those who mentioned it!), but that sounds more along the lines of what I'm looking for - something with spontaneous conversation rather than just one or two people following a script and speaking very clearly. Maybe a bit too much to the other extreme, but only one way to find out! The ones in NoManches's list (although don't get me wrong, they sound great and I really appreciate the time taken to list them!) just sound like more of what I already listen to: interesting but not challenging enough. I know that RNE has a million and one podcasts and there's no doubt more than enough great stuff for anyone in there, but it's hard to know where to start with a huge list with only vague categories.

Lo que tú digas is another one I can recommend. Conversational podcast presented by Álex Fidalgo. In each episode a raw talk, without cuts or script, with the most interesting minds of our country: scientists, humorists, actors, writers, musicians and protagonists of amazing stories. It's one of my favourites but most episodes are usually above my level of comprehension. I generally pick out topics I am familiar with.

Another podcast that probably falls into that category is La Resistencia. It's actually a talk show that is available in podcast form as well. Lots of colloquial language being used. Really valuable to you if you are a fan of Spanish media. Lots of celebrities being interviewed, just like your typical American or British talk show but obviously more Spanish lol. Weird seeing people swear on national tv.

Oh and then there is Oh my LOL. Spain's most popular podcast. It's just madness, pure madness. Good luck with that.
6 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:14 pm

garyb wrote:It's already been mentioned in my log (credit to those who mentioned it!), but that sounds more along the lines of what I'm looking for - something with spontaneous conversation rather than just one or two people following a script and speaking very clearly. Maybe a bit too much to the other extreme, but only one way to find out! The ones in NoManches's list (although don't get me wrong, they sound great and I really appreciate the time taken to list them!) just sound like more of what I already listen to: interesting but not challenging enough.

There was a time when I tried to listen to the types of podcasts that you mentioned, but they were too advanced for me.....so I avoided them for quite some time. Lately I have been giving them another try and am glad to see that my listening comprehension for these shows is quite high. The only thing that brings my comprehension down is not understanding the cultural references that they are talking about.

@garyb hopefully you find one of these interesting

Gente de Confianza
They don't do this show anymore but when they did, I found it very challenging but very good. Lots of slang and vulgar language. If you can find episodes to be downloaded it will introduce you to the Spanish they don't teach you in school. Looks like you can still find the audios on youtube (in this link there are 3 guys talking but at one point I think they had 4)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGiJQmm ... 4P0UEvbIws

El Guapodcast
Just found this one yesterday and only have listened to one episode. Definitely not safe for work, and maybe more geared towards younger male listeners. 4 guys sit around a table and just talk about random topics, including some that are viral and some that are ignored. They also do interviews with "interesting people" from TJ.

Dispara Margot, Dispara
One of the most popular shows out of Mexico.

La Chora Interminable

El Panda Show

A few other really cool podcasts:

Ted en español
I'm sure everyone knows about Ted Talks...well these are ones in Spanish. I really enjoyed the one done by Jorge Ramos and another by Fernanda Castillo.

Entiende Tu Mente
This is one of my all time favorites...can't believe I didn't mention it earlier. If you like psychology, this si the show for you. From Spain, the host is joined by other experts and they talk about different themes such as "el dolor" and "el síndrome del impostor" just to give a few examples.

I'll add some descriptions to these shows later
10 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:01 am

I've been looking for good Spanish content, so I downloaded a couple episodes from most of the recommendations here & started binge listening. My Spanish level is medium - I can usually understand RNE podcasts out of Spain that use straight forward language on topics I'm familiar with (I have no idea what CEFR level that translates to). With that, here are my first-take thoughts on the podcasts, and the episodes I listened to, ranked from easiest to hardest (for me):

Así Como Suena, Capitalismo Hippie. This was a great episode on "trimmigrants" - Mexicans who travel to work the marijuana fields in Northern California. It turns out hippies can be just as money-hungry and exploitative as their right-wing cousins! This is a definite keeper. It's also the only one so far that I can follow relatively easily, though maybe because the topic completely entertained me.

El explicador, El Papel de los Virus en la Evolución Humana. Science. Enrique Gánem Corvera covered some pretty advanced theories on transgenics and evolution, but I was surprisingly able to follow much of it. I liked it. It's a keeper.

El banquete del doctor Zagal, La izquierda politica. This wasn't on anyone's recommended lists, but iTunes kept saying that I would like it based upon all the other ones I downloaded. This episode was a group discussion on various leftist political stances (bourgeois left, Marxists, anarchists, et al.) Other episodes in the queue discuss topics like the inquisition, 'marriage and its curiosities,' the French Revolution, and Bonaparte. It reminds me a bit of BBC's In Our Time. Everybody was very polite and well spoken. It was challenging at times, but I mostly followed the discussion. I'll keep it.

Nadie sabe nada, Lo romo es finito. Comedy. I only understood about 50% of this, but because they were jumping around so much, and riffing so much on the same topics (such as doing David Attenborough impersonations while discussing ranas del mundo) I was still entertained. I'm keeping it, even though I miss most of the jokes. This is the level of Spanish I want to aim for - the casual, fun Spanish you'd use with friends.

Entiende tu mente, El pie en la puerta. I was mostly lost in this one. I think it was about game theory? The topics look interesting, but I'm not at the level where I can follow this. I'll bookmark it as one to return to in a few more months.

Contrepodor. Politics (I think). I listened to the episode on Sofía Niño de Rivera, and had absolutely no idea who she is or what she was saying. I occasionally heard her mention the name of that guy in the White House, and the audience would laugh. That's about it. The next episode in the queue was ¿Debe Donald Trump ser destituido? I am tired of hearing about that man, so I fast forwarded to the next episode. I couldn't' understand this one either. Everyone spoke way too fast for me. I think the episode was about the hurricane in Puerto Rico, but then I heard that man's name again & I deleted the podcast.

There's still a few more series that I want to check out, but so far I've got four possible keepers - that's a score.
6 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

NoManches
Blue Belt
Spanish - B2 +

Postby NoManches » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:16 am

kanewai wrote:I've been looking for good Spanish content, so I downloaded a couple episodes from most of the recommendations here & started binge listening. My Spanish level is medium - I can usually understand RNE podcasts out of Spain that use straight forward language on topics I'm familiar with (I have no idea what CEFR level that translates to). With that, here are my first-take thoughts on the podcasts, and the episodes I listened to, ranked from easiest to hardest (for me):

Así Como Suena, Capitalismo Hippie. This was a great episode on "trimmigrants" - Mexicans who travel to work the marijuana fields in Northern California. It turns out hippies can be just as money-hungry and exploitative as their right-wing cousins! This is a definite keeper. It's also the only one so far that I can follow relatively easily, though maybe because the topic completely entertained me.

El explicador, El Papel de los Virus en la Evolución Humana. Science. Enrique Gánem Corvera covered some pretty advanced theories on transgenics and evolution, but I was surprisingly able to follow much of it. I liked it. It's a keeper.

El banquete del doctor Zagal, La izquierda politica. This wasn't on anyone's recommended lists, but iTunes kept saying that I would like it based upon all the other ones I downloaded. This episode was a group discussion on various leftist political stances (bourgeois left, Marxists, anarchists, et al.) Other episodes in the queue discuss topics like the inquisition, 'marriage and its curiosities,' the French Revolution, and Bonaparte. It reminds me a bit of BBC's In Our Time. Everybody was very polite and well spoken. It was challenging at times, but I mostly followed the discussion. I'll keep it.

Nadie sabe nada, Lo romo es finito. Comedy. I only understood about 50% of this, but because they were jumping around so much, and riffing so much on the same topics (such as doing David Attenborough impersonations while discussing ranas del mundo) I was still entertained. I'm keeping it, even though I miss most of the jokes. This is the level of Spanish I want to aim for - the casual, fun Spanish you'd use with friends.

Entiende tu mente, El pie en la puerta. I was mostly lost in this one. I think it was about game theory? The topics look interesting, but I'm not at the level where I can follow this. I'll bookmark it as one to return to in a few more months.

Contrepodor. Politics (I think). I listened to the episode on Sofía Niño de Rivera, and had absolutely no idea who she is or what she was saying. I occasionally heard her mention the name of that guy in the White House, and the audience would laugh. That's about it. The next episode in the queue was ¿Debe Donald Trump ser destituido? I am tired of hearing about that man, so I fast forwarded to the next episode. I couldn't' understand this one either. Everyone spoke way too fast for me. I think the episode was about the hurricane in Puerto Rico, but then I heard that man's name again & I deleted the podcast.

There's still a few more series that I want to check out, but so far I've got four possible keepers - that's a score.

A couple of comments about some of the podcasts you mentioned:

El Explicador:
I remember listening to this religiously when I was at a low intermediate level. I think the reason you (and I) understand so much is because a lot of scientific words in English have very similar sounding words in Spanish.

Entiende tú mente:
This episode was about how we are more likely to respond favorably to a request if the other person has already got "their foot in the door". In one part of the episode, they talk about an experiment that toilet place in the US. People were 4 times more likely to donate ¢10 to a man IF he started off by asking them for the time. At the beginning of this episode you hear the host randomly asking people to give a shout out for the listeners of the podcast...and they didn't want to do it. At the end of the show he asks them where something was located (he got his foot in the door), and immediately after asked the people who have him directions if they would give a shout out...and they were willing to do so.

For this show I recommended looking up some of the concepts on Wikipedia (in Spanish of course) before listening to the show or if you are listening and can't follow along. Also, sometimes the description of the episode will have some key words or a good summary of the entire podcast which can help you a lot.

This is an EXCELLENT podcast, I thot you are making a great decision by coming back to it.

Contrapoder:

Even I have trouble following along when I don't know who the guest is or why they are there. I'm a big Jorge Ramos fan and have read a few of his books. I just think he has a good voice for many Spanish speakers and I like how he questions authority. You will hear him talk negatively about Donald Trump a lot though, so you might get tired of it.

I highly recommend the Ted en Español episode with Jorge Ramos. Spoiler: he talks about Trump again....but I think it was a fantastic talk, regardless of your political views. More importantly though, he speaks clearly with a great vocabulary.

Best of luck to you. I used to struggle with listening but a steady flow of podcasts and TV shows helped tremendously
3 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies

Spanish Books

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:09 am

Jaleel10 wrote:Oh and then there is Oh my LOL. Spain's most popular podcast. It's just madness, pure madness. Good luck with that.
Thanks for this one. So far it has been quite pleasant off the cuff. How hard it can be at any minute varies by the wave. Topically, it has been all over the map even after only a couple of hours of listening. Some of the news bites are quite hilarious. I haven't any unique contributions of my own at the moment since I have been all audiobook, but I may put some feelers out for a way to mass download/pre-load these as a mini-contribution. iVoox can get a bit grumpy some days.
2 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Spanish - B2 +

Postby NoManches » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:00 pm

Here are a few more. The following are podcasts I've discovered within the last few weeks. When available I'll copy and paste the podcast description from the podcasts website.

Casados y Complicados
I really like this one for some reason. It is hosted by a man (Santi) and his wife (Laurita). He is from Colombia and she is from Argentina. They talk about relationships, marriage, dating, that kind of thing. It isn't really a topic that interests me but I like the stories they tell and the guests who come to the show. They speak very clearly and at native speed, although occasionally some of the guests will have a strong Argentinian accent which will force me to closely pay attention. This is produced by Univision, which is a good thing, since I think all of their podcasts are of good audio quality and good content. I subscribe to this on Google Music under the podcasts section but don't think it is available on iVoox.

Peor Caso
This is also available on Google Music Podcasts but not iVoox. A description from the website:

Peor caso es un podcast sobre ciencia, historia y cultura de lo extraño, terrible y perturbador. Cada semana exploramos distintos temas, tabúes o generalmente ignorados, destacando con algo de humor negro, los detalles más escalofriantes que expandirán tu visión de nuestro mundo.
http://www.peorcaso.com/p/acerca-de.html

I've only listened to a few episodes but I like it and will keep listening.

Ser Padre esta de Madre
Again, not a topic that really interests me (I'm a dog dad but not a human being dad). The podcasts are of really good quality though and some are pretty short, which makes them great to listen to if I only have 10 or 15 minutes. Available on Google Play Music which probably means also available in the apple/iTunes store or whatever it is called.

Okay now let me get into a different type of podcast category that I really like. These are podcasts by definition, but really they are like radio novelas. I really enjoy these for a few reasons:

-Like a TV show, you have an opportunity to get used to recurring voices, themes, vocabulary, etc.
-They are addicting. You want to find out what happens next so you tend to pay close attention.
-They are worthy of listening to multiple times. I would never read a newspaper twice, but I would read a book twice. I think the same principal applies here.

A lot of these are available by a podcasts platform called: Podium Podcast I will start with those (which are from Spain by the way)

El gran apagón

This one is amazing and I highly recommend!

El 11 de abril de 2018 una tormenta solar de extraordinaria fuerza inutiliza todos los satélites y gran parte de los sistemas eléctricos, dejando el planeta en completa oscuridad. Sin internet ni telefonía. Sin televisión ni luz eléctrica.

A los pocos días, la comida y el agua potable empiezan a escasear, lo que da lugar a disturbios en las grandes ciudades. Las fuerzas de seguridad siguen operando, aunque lo hacen con recursos muy escasos. En la radio, que funciona de manera intermitente, se repite un mensaje gubernamental que llama a la calma. Pero pasan los días y las calles se vuelven cada vez más peligrosas.

Algunos ciudadanos sospechan que las autoridades sabían lo que iba a ocurrir y habían decidido ocultarlo a la población. Se dice que hay pruebas de ello. Ahora un hombre va a intentar demostrarlo.

Bienvenido a la vida peligrosa

This is another amazing program. It's like an action movie for your ears. I was surprised to hear the voice of Rafael Amaya in this one (he played Aurelio Casillas in El señor de los cielos). The introduction to the first episode is pretty violent (along with other parts of the show). Some parts are not suitable for children.

La universidad de Ciudad Jiménez invita al profesor Uribe, catedrático español de filosofía, para dar una conferencia sobre su materia. La noticia se publica en la prensa local y llega a oídos de don Candelario Quintana, el más poderoso y respetado narcotraficante de la zona. Tras el éxito de su charla, Uribe recibe una misteriosa visita en el hotel donde se aloja, uno de los hombres de don Candelario viene a buscarle: el narco tiene que hablar con él.

Un coche recoge al profesor en su hotel y lo lleva a un teatro vacío donde un grupo norteño toca narcocorridos en el escenario. El único público son un hombre y una mujer, sentados en el centro del patio de butacas. Son Candelario Quintana y su mujer, Silvina. Es el cumpleaños de ella y el narco ha alquilado la sala completa con banda incluida como regalo.

Cuando acaba la música, el narco se lleva aparte al profesor. “Necesito su ayuda”, dice. Desconcertado al principio, el profesor acaba enterándose de que Candelario Quintana tiene un hijo adolescente, un desastre de hijo mimado por su madre. El chico se examina en el instituto al día siguiente de la asignatura de Filosofía. Candelario Quintana, gracias a sus medios e influencia, ha logrado averiguar que el examen será sobre Heráclito. Y quiere que el profesor prepare al chico para el examen.

Así comienza una historia de amor, huida, enredos, asesinatos y narcotráfico que cambiará para siempre la aburrida y tranquila existencia de un profesor español que, sin saberlo, acaba de entrar en la vida peligrosa.

Bienvenido a la vida peligrosa es una serie de Podium Podcast escrita por Arturo Pérez-Reverte y dirigida por Guillermo Arriaga. Se trata de la primera narcoserie sonora, una tragicomedia que supone un particular e insólito acercamiento a la figura del narcotraficante. La serie propone una inmersión sonora en un mundo que fascina y aterra al mismo tiempo. Con ciertos toques de ironía, alejándose de los dramas más severos, pero intentando desentrañar el motivo de la fascinación por este mundo. El clima y la realidad social del norte de México podrán escucharse en este podcast compuesto por 10 episodios, protagonizado por los actores más relevantes del panorama mexicano y español.

El club del terror

I've only listened to a few episodes but the ones I've listened to have been great. I recommend listening to "El Pozo".

¿Quieres sentir miedo de verdad? Apaga las luces y cierra los ojos con fuerza, que no entre ni un rayo de luz. Ponte los cascos, sube el volumen y sigue a los personajes de El club del terror. Siente cómo te vas sumergiendo poco a poco en la historia, cómo te contagias de sus dudas y temores hasta que acabas por convertirte en el protagonista del relato. No podrás escapar, querrás escuchar mucho más.

Leyendas Urbanas

This is an interesting one. I'm sure some of you will like it

'Leyendas Urbanas' es una historia que se mueve entre la ficción y el documental. Cualquier semejanza con la realidad, quizás sea una simple coincidencia.

OLAFO

Not going to lie, I've tried to listen to this a few times and always stop after the second epsidoe. It is really good, and very interesting...which is a problem for me. When it comes to stuff like this I want to comprehend 100% of the show, so I find myself doing a lot of rewinding and thinking about information and statistics and dates and whatnot.

Este es el relato de aquel accidente aéreo que tuvo lugar en Mejorada del Campo en 1983. Pero esta historia es más que un accidente aéreo. Lo que importa no son los números ni las fechas, sino los nombres, las historias que hay tras esta tragedia. Muchos de ellos eran conocidos y admirados en España y Latinoamérica. Otros eran ciudadanos anónimos, pero su trágico final influyó en muchas más vidas de las que en principio era de esperar. En este desastre no sólo se truncaron vidas. De una forma u otra, muchas personas en todo el mundo se vieron afectadas.

Okay I'm going to stop there for Podium Podcast. These are a few of the shows I've liked so far. They have a TON of programs and I haven't even had a chance to check most of them out. Here is a link if you want more:

https://www.podiumpodcast.com/

Historias Perdidas
Okay here is a really cool show I just found last night. It is by Leon Krauze (who I recommended previously for his podcast and book La Mesa, con Leon Krauze). Available in iVoox (and on YouTube). Here is a youtube link to the program I listened to last night. After listening, I bought the two books he wrote (first is paperback only, second is available on kindle). I found that listening to his other podcast and reading the book based on the podcast to be a very useful activity.

I listened to the episode "el paso de Dyatlov" this morning because it is a topic I find very interesting. I thought it was really good. I highly recommend this podcast.

Narradas por León Krauze, y basadas en sus libros y relatos radiofónicos, Historias perdidas es un recorrido por los grandes enigmas del mundo.

********************************************************************************

I'll add more later. I've found podcasts to be more useful than TV shows as long as I try to make my listening more active than passive. I've also found it useful to pick out a few shows you really like, and to listen to them all. I used to pick out dozens of programs I liked, and would listen to random episodes here and there. If improving your comprehension is your goal, then try to pick a few shows you really like and listen to all of the episodes before moving on to other materials.
3 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies

Spanish Books

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:15 am

Historias de medianoche

Horror/Suspense/Thriller podcast. A great listen during the evenings. The cast of voice actors is fantastic and the Spanish isn't that hard except for when the stories take place in different countries and you'll get a Spaniard's best attempt at a Bulgarian-Spanish accent. (The same way that Brits and Americans immitate European accents, Spaniards do it too :lol: )

Valle De Cielo Gris

El Valle De Cielo Gris es un podcast con una narrativa de horror cósmico, nihilismo y mucho humor negro. Ven y conoce más sobre este lugar entre lugares, donde nada es lo que debería de ser. Los antiguos podrán morar en la obscuridad, pero Joaquín y la gente de Cielo Gris te esperan en el valle.

Highly recommend this one for my fellow lower intermediates/advanced beginners.
3 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:41 am

Hablemos español podcast
https://anchor.fm/learn-spanish-podcast

A podcast for learners centrered around Mexico and Mexican culture. They speak at native speed but they don't use a lot of slang.
3 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”