Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Re: "Official" PODCAST (in Spanish) Reviews and Recommendations

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:18 am

Hoy Hablamos - Spain
https://hoyhablamos.com/category/podcast/
Podcast for learners (A2-B1) that primarily focuses on Spanish culture, history and news. I think a subscription of 10USD gets you the transcripts.

No Hay Tos - Mexico

Dos hombres disparando la mierda. Very casual podcast, just two friends having fun. Highly recommended if you're B1.2+. A 5USD Patreon subscription get you the transcripts. One of my favourite podcasts at the moment.

Still got a few more I have to post here. Will get to it on the weekend.
4 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:57 pm

For fans of the fiction podcasts from Podium (El Gran Apagón, Bienvenido a la vida peligrosa), this just popped up on my news feed:

Guerra 3
Jimena Torres (Adriana Ugarte) es una experimentada reportera de guerra que, tras años intentándolo, por fin consigue un permiso para entrar en Corea del Norte. La periodista pretende desenmascarar lo que ocurre bajo la superficie del país más opaco del mundo.
3 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:59 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/Spanish/commen ... teresting/

Lot's of quality recommendations in this thread
3 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Que se vayan todos

Postby coldrainwater » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:39 pm

I have listened to quite an embarrassing amount of podcast content in the recent past and have one recommendation that I don't think has been mentioned yet.

QSVT
quesevayantodos.blogspot.com
IVOOX - Que se vayan todos

Info on two of the hosts
Reuben
Briceño

A humorcast that pays homage to human stupidity. Surprisingly, they never run low on material (2008-2015 if I recall correctly). What they relate to the public has such amazing variety, despite a single consistent theme, that I found it makes for great language learning material and broad exposure. I discovered it looking for something to challenge my listening skills and continued listening to it even after it became quite easy to understand. What's more, it appears that in September 2018, they made a successful comeback and have started airing again. Ivoox had something like 100 comments welcoming them back from various areas of the world. I would mark the level as intermediate or higher. They broadcast in various countries and are from Venezuela. The title of the podcast comes from an Argentinian phrase circa 2001. I wouldn't mind finding some others like it. Hope you all enjoy.
4 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:30 pm

NoManches wrote:Entiende Tu Mente
This is one of my all time favorites...can't believe I didn't mention it earlier. If you like psychology, this si the show for you. From Spain, the host is joined by other experts and they talk about different themes such as "el dolor" and "el síndrome del impostor" just to give a few examples.

I have just started listening to this podcast and I love it. As well as being interesting and informative, I find it very relaxing and I love that it's divided into bitesized 20 minute episodes. Definitely recommended! :)
3 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:22 pm

I have a new podcast to add, and I also wanted to mention "Google Podcasts". For the longest time I have been using iVoox to find Spanish podcasts and it has worked pretty well. I like it because you can choose your "país" from Spain, Mexico and a few others. This makes it easy to find the top podcasts from each country. I was also finding and downloading podcasts in the Google Music app. Although there are some podcasts that can be found on both apps, there are some that are only on one or the other....annoying, but not a huge deal. Just today I was on the website for one of my new favorite podcasts and realized that there is a Google Podcasts app. I downloaded it and sure enough, all of my favorite podcasts were available for download. The interface is sleek and very easy to use. I love iVoox and will probably continue to use it (unless I can find ALL of my favorites on the Google Podcasts app). Lately I have been having a problem with iVoox where I will download a podcast and it will work fine. But, at some unannounced random moment when I really need to listen to a downloaded podcast because I'm in an area with no cell reception, I'll get a message saying my podcast didn't download correctly...and then it won't be playable at all :evil:

Anyway, I've been really busy lately with DELE preparations which means I've been listening to different content, so my podcasts reviews probably won't be as frequent as they once were.

My new favorite podcasts is:

La Redada

Here is there description:

Los lunes, miércoles y viernes, seleccionamos en un programa de 5 minutos (quien dice 5 dice 15) los contenidos más entretenidos de la red y los ponemos en tus orejas. Reportajes, entrevistas, lo más inquietante de Youtube, las mejores historias de Verne o las apps que pueden hacer tu vida más cómoda. Y todo con humor porque como dice Winston Churchill: “Haced el favor de dejar de inventaros citas mías en Internet” ¡Enrédate con nosotros!

And a link:

https://www.podiumpodcast.com/la-redada ... l-programa

It's from Podium Podcast which almost always means it's gonna be a good experience. I like this show because it's only between 5-10 minutes on average which means on my busy days I can give it a few quick listens in the morning to jump start my day with some listening practice. I'd say it is a bit advanced becase the speakers tend to speak very fast, but I'm usually understanding everything by the 2nd listen (keep in mind that my ear for Castillian Spanish isn't as developed as my ear for Latin American Spanish...so this might just be me).

Hope you enjoy!
5 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

coldrainwater
Blue Belt

Postby coldrainwater » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:48 am

I found a podcast that I like on the history of Spain called Memorias de un tambor. A few language learning points that I believe fall in its favor: There are 60+ episodes starting in 2014 and many of the episodes are long, on the order of four hours a piece. This gives the presenter time to treat each topic with an appropriate level of depth and us time to see a bit of voice accustomization in realtime. In a few words, José is passionate and really cares about history. According to my perspective, has a very emblamatic Spanish presentation style (clear intent and anima for divulgation). The pace is good, with regular breaks for listeners. Despite the length, I have yet to get bored with a single episode (okay there was one, but it was definitlely the oddcast out). He speaks relatively fast, which is great both for learning and preventing boredom on extended bouts of listening. That said, I chose it specifically by initially playing it by [my] ear and making a snap intuitive judgement. Namely, it was challenging enough that I judged a chunk of 100 hours of it would help my pensinsular ear. I am a fan of his specific accent (generally lone presenter) because, while very clear, it seemed at first like he lightly drops some syllables every now and again and, when excited, does a good job of running some word chunks together (a challenge that I enjoy parsing when it happens). He has his filler moments (digamos, o sea, en fin, es decir, bueno) that can be a bit repetitive, but overall histo-talk tends to require some narrow vocab that is useful for language learners. There are several episodes that I would like to give a relisten purely due to the topic at hand. In terms of support, it has received some awards and each episode has quite the mountain of likes on ivoox. Hope you enjoy as I have.

Wikipedia - Memorias de un tambor
Official web - Memoriasdeuntambor

Bienvenidos a este rincón donde solo hablaremos de Historia de España. Si los audios te parecen interesantes, te proponemos que ayudes a divulgarlos en tu entorno más cercano. El único objetivo es compartir y transmitir nuestro pasado de una forma sencilla y amena.

Edit: Valentine's Day

Today I listened to one of the more interesting episodes of Memorias de un tambor. He talks about the fact that he is willing to approach pretty much any topic without shying away and shares many user messages (of praise primarily) and commentary. One of the questions is what exactly does he do to get so many people to like it and to listen to all his episodes. I think he answered that one quite well overall (including or not other tangents). In one answer, he explains how he consciously slows his speech during the first 30 or 40 seconds of the podcast and that he is quite self-aware of just how fast his talking can get, mentioning also that he works on improving his speech as well. A fair amount of motivations for podcasts, personal introspection as well as some logistics of how the episodes are made are also discussed. He talks about why the episodes are longer than most podcasts and gives quite a bit of other info that I am likely forgetting. The episode below seems to be one of his shorter ones at just over an hour and a half. Hope you enjoy.

Así es memorias de un tambor
Last edited by coldrainwater on Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
5 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt

Postby coldrainwater » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:09 am

Rompiendo la banca

This next podcast covers markets/finance/trading and is presented by an operator from Argentina. The 130+ episodes are sort of a mix between lecturing and podcast. Quite funny at times, not too heavy on slang. Money aside, what I find rich about this podcast is the choice of specific learner vocabulary and overall good diction. Without missing a beat, he will often pick advanced or intermediate vocabulary terms (not necessarily domain specific), and use them at precisely the right moment and in the right context in a way I find memorable and easily repeatable. I find the sentences much easier to parse than Memorias de un tambor mentioned in my last post, probably putting the speed/word parsing at intermediate. I noticed some region specific vocabulary, but as a whole, the vocabulary used would transfer easily. I am nearing the end of the episodes now and have listened to about 70 out of 80 hours so far.
1 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt

Pizzelpodcast

Postby coldrainwater » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:13 am

Science, entertainment, nerdeando, more or less. Two guys chatting and eating pizza. The episode I linked does treat the topic of language and generated some comments in Spanish that I have also liked. I haven't listened to a ton of hours on this one, but I get a decent feeling about the presenter's personalities, enough to drop a link here. Recording is good, very clear speech. I like their mention of 'óptica gorda' when describing levels of abstraction. Pretty relaxed listen overall, decent for most occasions.

Main site - Pizzelpodcast
27 - Un efecto invernadero de la san flauta
Reddit comments, some linguistic
Pedro se pone al hombro el segmento PizzelX y nos pasa la ficha técnica de Venus, el planeta más caliente. Javier se distrae, sólo hace el 50% de la tarea (o menos) y hablan de Neuralink, una nueva y ambiciosa empresa liderada por Elon Musk.
2 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Re: Pizzelpodcast

Postby Jaleel10 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:54 am

coldrainwater wrote:Science, entertainment, nerdeando, more or less. Two guys chatting and eating pizza. The episode I linked does treat the topic of language and generated some comments in Spanish that I have also liked. I haven't listened to a ton of hours on this one, but I get a decent feeling about the presenter's personalities, enough to drop a link here. Recording is good, very clear speech. I like their mention of 'óptica gorda' when describing levels of abstraction. Pretty relaxed listen overall, decent for most occasions.

Main site - Pizzelpodcast
27 - Un efecto invernadero de la san flauta
Reddit comments, some linguistic
Pedro se pone al hombro el segmento PizzelX y nos pasa la ficha técnica de Venus, el planeta más caliente. Javier se distrae, sólo hace el 50% de la tarea (o menos) y hablan de Neuralink, una nueva y ambiciosa empresa liderada por Elon Musk.

Really enjoying this. Bonus points for it being an Argentinian podcast : P. Thank you!
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”