New Paul Noble languages courses coming out soon (Chinese, advanced French, Spanish, etc)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Neilkenlang
Languages: Speaks: English, Spanish, French, Gernan, Scottish Gaelic.
Learning: Welsh, Italian, Polish

New Paul Noble languages courses coming out soon (Chinese, advanced French, Spanish, etc)

Postby Neilkenlang » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:09 pm

For anyone who is a fan of the Paul Noble method of learning, I've just seen that he's bringing out a Mandarin Chinese course, which will be available next month:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Learn-Mandarin ... 0008287171

I've always liked his simple approach, and although a lot of people say he is heavily inspired by Michel Thomas Method, I don't think it matters because Noble has put his own twist on it and makes everything pretty effortless to learn. I've gone through his complete Spanish, French, German and Italian courses and am looking forward to his Chinese course soon.

I also noticed that in January 2019, Noble will be releasing courses for intermediate level French and Spanish learners (and presumable Italian, German and Chinese too) called 'Next Steps in French/Spanish' etc. I think these will be really cool too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Next-Steps-Fre ... A22FDRVEEX

Has anyone else here had success with Paul Noble's courses?
5 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Re: New Paul Noble languages courses coming out soon (Chinese, advanced French, Spanish, etc)

Postby Arnaud » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:50 am

I listened to PN spanish and french and found them very good, especially because the MT spanish is not terrific, imho.
Same for MT chinese which is probably the worse MT course I ever listened to. If there is a PN chinese, I would be curious to hear how they present the language, the tones, etc.
1 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Re: New Paul Noble languages courses coming out soon (Chinese, advanced French, Spanish, etc)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:55 am

I finished Paul Noble Spanish 5 months ago. I'll just paste my review here:

Pros:
- 13 hour course
- Uses 2 native speakers one from Spain and another from Mexico
- Teaches you a lot of fundamentals that MT and LT doesn't teach like the alphabet and numbers.
- Teaches a lot touristy Spanish. How to order food, how to book rooms, how to respond to a doctor and some basic conversational phrases through several grammar points.

Cons:
- Only teaches touristy and basic phrases. The course is probably great if you're planning a short visit to a Spanish speaking country.
- Doesn't teach all the tenses. Only the present, simple future, simple past and past perfect. No command and no subjunctive.

Thoughts. Overall good intro course for Spanish, to be fair. The natives help with your pronunciation and there is sufficient time for responses when Paul asks a question. It's very slow but I guess that can be a good thing. I'd recommend Michel Thomas and Language Transfer for any one who is self-studying but if you need a quick intro or plan a short trip to a Spanish country, the course will be of greater value to you.

Overall: 7.5/10

I am actually looking forward to it. I am a huge fan of the use of native speakers and hopefully this time around he will handle the more difficult tenses and help with longer and more complex sentence structures.
4 x

Neilkenlang
Languages: Speaks: English, Spanish, French, Gernan, Scottish Gaelic.
Learning: Welsh, Italian, Polish

Postby Neilkenlang » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:50 am

Well it's true that Paul Noble courses don't cover all tenses, so hopefully his new intermediate/advanced courses will cover more tenses. I find his material very easy to follow and understand, although the Michel Thomas Method goes into more detail about a language. Still, Noble's courses are a fantastic starting point, and I can't wait to try his Chinese course soon :-)
0 x

clive bennett
Languages: Italian

Postby clive bennett » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:50 pm

Hi
I have completed the 12 CD paul noble complete course in Italian. I have recently found a paul noble APP which seems to be a different version. Does anyone know if there is an advanced course and if so is the App the one?
I have emailed the paul noble institute several times...no reply and also messaged the app developer having listened to the free 1st track. it would be good to get confirmation before i part with more money on the app/

Thanks

Clive
0 x

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:01 pm

There is a 'Next Steps' Paul Noble Italian course - I have it on Audible but have never used it. I have finished the French and German versions of the 'Next Steps' - they covered the past tenses and the future tenses, as well as the dative and genitive cases in German. Not really 'advanced', but they were good for practice.
2 x

Versus
White Belt
Languages: Serbian, English

Postby Versus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:14 pm

Good to know that there is APP as well. I will try for sure.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”