Philips AAC Language Learning System / Language Through Pictures

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
butterfly
Languages: French study

Re: Philips AAC Language Learning System / Language Through Pictures

Postby butterfly » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:50 pm

I borrowed these from my local library, and I stated that if they were ever put in the book sale to let me know as they are the only language course that has worked for me. It was so simple to understand. However I found out that the library just threw them out without selling them off. I was so disappointed. I am a vintage retro fan and loved these am searching to find them for sale just now and came across this website.
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:17 am

Welcome!
Hello, butterfly, welcome to the forum! Although your initial interest seems to be limited to acquiring a copy of the Philips AAC Language Learning System courses, I encourage you to read through a number of the discussion threads, follow anything that grabs your attention, ask for advice concerning your own language-learning goals, and contribute to the conversations on any topic of your choosing.

French
As your profile indicates that you are studying French, the following two threads might be of some interest to you:

Le groupe français 2016 – 2019 Les Voyageurs
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1575

French Resources
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2914/

Philips AAC Language Learning French I, II, III
I still have the Philips AAC Language Learning French I, II, III courses (books and cassettes) sitting in my basement. If I do not pass them on to a fellow language-learner, my past experiences in donating language-learning materials to local charitable organisations indicate that they will drop them into a recycling bin. So then, I would be quite pleased to send these courses to you should you be willing to reimburse the shipping costs which, without knowing your destination, I would guestimate at around 70 $US, although they could be higher. We can discuss the details in the Private Message section of the forum (see below).

Sending Private Messages
My understanding of the security controls on the Private Message function is that newly-registered members must submit a total of three (3) posts, duly approved by the Moderators, before they can send private messages. Therefore, should you wish to communicate with me concerning the transfer of the Philips AAC Language Learning French I, II, III courses, you need only post two additional posts. They can be under any topic you choose (please do not clutter up this thread with additional posts just so as to hit your quota :D ). Once you have accumulated three (3) approved posts, you will be able to respond to the Private Message that I will have already sent you.

Discussing Your French Project
Should you wish to explore your current project to learn French, I would greatly appreciate that you open a separate thread under the “Practical Questions and Advice” sub-form; otherwise, such a discussion in this thread would be an unnecessary digression from the main topic. ;) Merci d’avance!

UPDATE: 17 April 2019
@butterfly, it has been one month since I sent you a Private Message offering to send you my copy of the Philips AAC French I, II, III courses free-of-charge as to the materials all-the-while mentioning that I would welcome some assistance with the postal costs. As the Private Message remained unopened under today’s date, I deleted it. Should you return to this discussion thread and reconfirm your interest in these materials, we might be able to work something out. However, should someone else offer to take these courses off my hands in-the-meantime, I’ll cut a deal with them.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Re: Philips AAC Language Learning System

Postby Elsa Maria » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:57 pm

Zegpoddle wrote:Hmmm, that little old man looks like he could be the brother of the little old man on the page below from Action English Pictures, an old TPR (Total Physical Response) resource known to most teachers of English as a Second Language of a certain age in the U.S.

As for a course that teaches language entirely through dialogues about Punch and Judy shows and "dogs, children, teeter totters, toy rifles, and dad being cross"...SIGN ME UP! I'm sick to death of courses full of purely utilitarian lessons about buying train tickets and checking into hotels. Even though I need to know how to accomplish those functions, the lack of imagination just kills my inner child. I still shudder at the memory of a page in Lese- und Übungsbuch der deutschen Grammatik that included an entire reading and exercise on the topic of...wait for it...smokestacks. "Someone kill me right now, please."

And charming, outdated illustrations that feature the Monopoly man are just catnip to my vintage-loving sensibility. Bring it on!

I'm glad to know that I am not the only one! I was thinking about this the other day. My Dutch coursework is all about the practical matters, but the part that I actually enjoy is when I am watching nijntje and reading fairy tales.

Hooray for teeter totters, zoo animals, giants, princesses, and talking animals!
2 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Behappier
Languages: French, English, some Dutch, some Spanish

Postby Behappier » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:01 pm

Interestingly, I used this to learn English and my son, who speaks only English, wants to learn French (he is 12) which is my first language. I was looking for supporting books or tools and found this thread. The Philips AAC was great for me and I was wondering if anything equivalent exists these days. With technology as it is, it should not be hard to replicate. Any advice happily received!
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”