Are there any resources you’d like developed and/or hosted for free?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Are there any resources you’d like developed and/or hosted for free?

Postby Cainntear » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:45 am

My thoughts on what's been said so far.

1) Has LWT been cleaned up? Several sites got enthusiastic about it initially, but then it turned out it was really inefficiently coded and would just chew through server resources like nobody's business. In particular, I seem to recall it didn't work well with on-demand services, as needed to either keep the server up to keep the DB active, or reinitialise the DB when the service came up.

2) The YouTube suggestion wasn't about hosting video, as far as I can see. I think the point was to create an index/catalogue linking to suitable YouTube videos. If the videos have embedding switched on, you'd even be able to incorporate them into the site seamlessly without hosting more than a 100-odd byte database entry of name, language, tags and link.

3) Sites live and die by their community, and the community often gets burned when their work dies with the site. I'm very cynical about working to populate content on a site that might disappear without notice, and I hate the fact that many free sites lock up their content within their framework. What I want is a network of content that can be taken away from the site and tools in question and used by people who are working on technical innovations but lack the content to actually make a product.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:06 am

Sticking to the LWT subject. Great input both of you.

rdearman wrote:The problem with hosting LWT isn't technical so much as legal. Invariably someone will upload a copyrighted text and as the administrator/moderator/owner of the site you are then liable for the distribution of copyrighted materials. In other words pirating. This means you'll have to do a LOT of administration of the LWT texts which people are uploading, or have some kind of plagiarism checker built in which will scan uploads and reject copyrighted materials. Given the hassle it really isn't worth hosting, especially since it is easy enough for people to install themselves. I even made a docker instance of it so you didn't need to do anything other than install docker and then run the module. (I don't remember where it is located now but could probably find it if anyone really wants it)

I thought that the LWT hosting per user did not allow sharing documents. What you post is only available in your own space. So no issue with copyright sharing since it is in a private space. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

the docker instance is a great idea. Should help people if you can find it. See comment below.

Edit: found a docker file here:
https://github.com/jcul/lwt-docker
and here
https://github.com/spect88/lwt-docker

Cainntear wrote:My thoughts on what's been said so far.

1) Has LWT been cleaned up? Several sites got enthusiastic about it initially, but then it turned out it was really inefficiently coded and would just chew through server resources like nobody's business. In particular, I seem to recall it didn't work well with on-demand services, as needed to either keep the server up to keep the DB active, or reinitialise the DB when the service came up.

LWT has been updated recently - I don't know how 'cleaned up' the new code is. Given this might be a major issue, I'll look through update log and see if this has been addressed. A docker module would need to be updated with the new code.
Last edited by zenmonkey on Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:53 am

So, a quick review of the update log shows that LWT database calls have been update in 2016 but no major work to address resources issues is listed. This may or may not have occurred.

The author has decided to move the code off of github to sourceforge in June of this year. But in so doing, he has not set up a git repository. Any work on the source files would need to be set-up as a new repository in github or sourceforge and will likely be divergent from the author's.

Personally, as much as I love a challenge, I don't have the headspace to take this on alone. So at this point, after this brief investigation ... I'm not seeing this happening here (but never say never :) ). I'd suggest that if people want LWT they install the latest version on their own machines as stand alone services (using the standard install or the docker that @rdearman mentioned).

For the people that posted a desire to use this in this thread, if you have difficulty installing and want help - send me a pm.

Personally, I'm going to upgrade my own install today.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:01 pm

I only stressed that it must have an easy way to export to anki because this is my chief reason for not using the LingQ reading tool.

I personally started using a program called Foreign Language Text Reader (FLTR). This is a much easier install than LWT, but it does have some downsides. I've only been able to get 1 monolingual Japanese dictionary website to work with it, it's only on my PC, so I can't decide to do some reading at work on my lunch, and it's a Java application which I don't know enough about computers to know why that's a bad thing only that it is bad :lol: But it's been working for me, and I just review the anki cards it generates on my lunch instead of reading :lol:
1 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:54 pm

leosmith wrote:
tommus wrote:Our own Wikipedia with audio!

This is a great idea, tommus. I actually didn't know it was legal to use wikipedia material like that. This might be a bit different from what you were thinking, but what if I were to give you a branch of our library, and you could populate it with articles and audio as you see fit? I could also give moderation authority to a team of your making. Access to the library would be free, of course.

Thanks for that offer. I am considering it but as you say, it "might be a bit different from what you were thinking". I have had a very good look at your site and read the terms of reference. I was going to register but I see that your site uses full names rather than "user" names like here on LLorg. Many people prefer a bit of anonymity in such a public forum. Also, you have talked a lot about things being free, but I found the terms of service for payment to be very complex, and not so obvious as to what would be free, including applications, etc. You suggest "moderation authority to a team of your making". What I had in mind with my suggestion was something that wouldn't require moderation or a team, but instead would be contributions by all members (with normal site moderation). I just posted in another thread my ongoing request here to get a button link in the header of the LLorg Forum to our Wikia. I would prefer we had some arrangement that would be similar to part of our Wikia hosting Wikipedia plain text articles with member-provided audio.

So I don't know just how my suggestion would work on your website. I liked zenmonkey's suggestion of "Why not work on improving this place? " If we get some working links in our Forum header, we can make a number of the suggested improvements. But we also need a lot of support from our current members to support the proposed improvements.
1 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:05 pm

tommus wrote:I was going to register but I see that your site uses full names rather than "user" names like here on LLorg.

That's a bug that will be fixed shortly. You register with your name, then you get a pop-up for your screen name; s/b all on the same registration screen.

you have talked a lot about things being free, but I found the terms of service for payment to be very complex, and not so obvious as to what would be free, including applications, etc.

Everything (chat, essay, forum) is free except lessons with teachers. The reading tool will be free when it launches, but will become pay at some later (a month or two?) point in time. So anything about payment in our terms and conditions is regarding teacher lessons.

You suggest "moderation authority to a team of your making".

I thought you were proposing something that I would do on my site, and I got the impression that you wanted to be sure of who manages it. Please forgive my misunderstanding and disregard.
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

leosmith
Brown Belt
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:33 am

leosmith wrote:
tommus wrote:I was going to register but I see that your site uses full names rather than "user" names like here on LLorg.

That's a bug that will be fixed shortly. You register with your name, then you get a pop-up for your screen name; s/b all on the same registration screen.

fyi - fixed
0 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:37 am

leosmith wrote:fyi - fixed

OK. Great. That is a nice registration form. Suggestion: In the drop-down menu for Source, suggest you add LLorg, and maybe the option for Other with a manual entry.
1 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:18 pm

I could use freely downloadable Persian dictionary database, a big one covering literary words and modern slang.

Or perhaps you could add pitch accent information to JDIC.
1 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:38 pm

tommus wrote:Suggestion: In the drop-down menu for Source, suggest you add LLorg, and maybe the option for Other with a manual entry.

good suggestion - ticket written
白田龍 wrote:add pitch accent information to JDIC.

I don't think I could do the Persian dictionary, but the pitch accent idea may be feasible. Thanks!
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”