Wikispaces shutting down. Will these resources be lost?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
tolgylop
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (可), Spanish (bastante), German (fair), Japanese (learning), Italian (learning), French (dabbling), Taiwanese (dabbling)

Wikispaces shutting down. Will these resources be lost?

Postby tolgylop » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:57 am

These cultural interviews in various languages are a great resource. But, Wikispaces is shutting down after July 31. Does anyone know if other hosting arrangements have been made? The videos are on youtube, but the transcripts are not included. It would be a pity for these to be lost.
http://culturalinterviews.wikispaces.com/

Download these now if you plan to use them in the future.

I think some of the other resources from UT Austin are also hosted on Wikispaces. I hope there is a plan to keep them available.
1 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Re: Wikispaces shutting down. Will these resources be lost?

Postby Querneus » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:35 am

tolgylop wrote:These cultural interviews in various languages are a great resource. But, Wikispaces is shutting down after July 31. Does anyone know if other hosting arrangements have been made? The videos are on youtube, but the transcripts are not included. It would be a pity for these to be lost.
http://culturalinterviews.wikispaces.com/

Download these now if you plan to use them in the future.

I think some of the other resources from UT Austin are also hosted on Wikispaces. I hope there is a plan to keep them available.

I doubt there is any plan to keep them available. Fortunately, the transcripts have been published under a CC-BY-NC license, which means it's legal to post them elsewhere, as long as the authorship metadata is kept and displayed and the poster doesn't make money off them.

I'm going to bed right now, but I'll grab all this data and put it up on a website tomorrow morning. I'll also make it easy for you to get your own copy.
8 x

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:13 am

Ser, that would be amazing! I've just found out about these and I'd hate for them to disappear before I got to use them.
0 x

Querneus
Blue Belt

Postby Querneus » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 am

Hi, just reporting back. I ended up going out this weekend, so I only started to work on it this Sunday afternoon. There ended up being more work to do with the pages than I thought. In particular, the data is in 2400 pages (about 1150 transcripts, the rest are authorship pages) and as I'm downloading one page per 15 seconds (so not to overwhelm the server and get banned for it), just getting the data is going to take 10 hours. I'm already 4/5 of the way downloading it as I'm typing this. Then I'll parse the files to get the transcripts and authors.

I'll have the website done by Wednesday evening at the latest. But maybe it'll get done tomorrow.
7 x

Querneus
Blue Belt

Postby Querneus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:10 am

Okay, so now is Wednesday evening, and after spending a bunch of hours, as well as writing about 3400 lines of Python code to handle the various problems I encountered with both the (mis)naming of files and the Wikispaces.com dialect of the MediaWiki format, I am still not done with this thing. However, it is already in a largely usable state, so I've uploaded what I have.

Ecce vinculum:
https://ser-be-etre-shi.neocities.org/cultural-interviews/
Note: this is a preview of my currently unfinished work.

I'm a bit too tired to continue with this today, but here's the things for me to do in the next couple days:
  • Fix the 50 interviews-per-topic pages.
  • Fix the images pulled from outside that neocities.org apparently doesn't like.
  • Improve the navigation on the site, adding a nav bar for the languages and the per-topic main page, also a link to the index from the page header (which I forgot to do). Right now a user has to press back to navigate the site.
  • Examine the roughly 35 orphan pages (pages that no other page links to), and determine whether they should be orphans. Some orphans have working YouTube videos and transcriptions, others don't.

Note that you can download the old MediaWiki article data and my HTML from this Gitlab repository. Click on the icon of a cloud with an arrow on the top right of the files, and click on "Download zip". Have in mind that you must include all the asset files in the same directory as the HTML files in order to view the HTML correctly.
7 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”