Assimil 1983 vs New (French with spanish base)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
lingoboy99
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C1), French (beginner).

Assimil 1983 vs New (French with spanish base)

Postby lingoboy99 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Hello!

I decided to learn french some time ago, for this I have two options: "El nuevo francés sin esfuerzo" from 1983, or "El Francés" which is the latest edition of the course. The first one comes free since it's available in my local library, while I would have to buy the newest one.

Considering this, and for those who have seen/completed both or any of the versions mentioned, which one is better? I know that the latest one has like 13 lessons more, is this a big deal? And, if the new one if better, is it worth the money considering I have the older one for free?

Thank you!
0 x

Speakeasy

Re: Assimil 1983 vs New (French with spanish base)

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:37 pm

Welcome to the Forum!
Welcome to the forum, lingoboy99! I look forward to reading your posts on this subject and others.

Generations of Assimil Courses
For many of the languages in the Assimil catalogue, there are up to three different "generations"; that is, editions having different dialogues. These different generations are genuine updates and, while they reflect small changes in the target language, generally speaking, one could learn the basics of the language from any one of them. While exceptions do exist in the case of an individual Assimil course, most people would agree that the publisher takes great care in the conception of each new course. Some members, myself included, have noticed that the dialogues of each successively new generation present the target language in a somewhat simpler fashion than those in the previous one. Nevertheless, this is not necessarily a reason in itself to choose any particular generation, they're all quite good.

Your Specific Question: Your're In Luck!
You're in luck! Your question, or a version of it, has been discussed in the past. Here is the LINK to the discussion thread:

CORRECTION: Oops, Wrong Link!!!
Assimil Without Toil vs. Spanish With Ease

CORRECTED LINK:
Difference between two Assimil French editions?
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5849

EDITED:
Correction. Par ma faute, par ma faute, par ma très grande faute!
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”