Using KhanAcademy to practice your L2 while also learning something else

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Using KhanAcademy to practice your L2 while also learning something else

Postby kulaputra » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:27 am

Hey guys,

It recently came to my attention that KhanAcademy, a free resource for learning various academic subjects at the primary/secondary school and university levels, is available in a wide variety of languages: Czech, Danish, German, English, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian (Bokmal), Polish, Portuguese, Turkish, Bulgarian, Mongolian, Serbian, Armenian, Hebrew, Hindi, Bengali, Gujarati, Tamil, Georgian, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese. (See edit below).

I thought I'd bring it to your attention in case anyone wanted to avail themselves of these resources to knock out two birds with one stone by practicing their TL and learning some other subject which might interest them. I imagine this will be particularly useful for people still in school, although adult learners who want to refresh their memories or learn a new subject from scratch might also enjoy this site. I imagine the depth and breadth of the material will vary dramatically based on the language, but I can't say for sure; I've only looked at the English and Spanish language sites.

You'll find the option to switch languages at the bottom left of the page, in a drop down menu box.

EDIT: It seems there are other languages not available in the dropdown menu, you have to search for them on Google, e.g. "Khan Academy Russian" to see if they have it. But the unlisted languages are mostly/entirely subtitled, not recorded, in the given language. Here is a (possibly non comprehensive list) of languages on Khan Academy, some of which aren't in the dropdown.
Last edited by kulaputra on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
4 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

Andy E
Yellow Belt
Languages: *
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8001

Re: Using KhanAcademy to practice your L2 while also learning something else

Postby Andy E » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:07 am

Great catch!

I can't believe I hadn't thought of this before. I shall take a look.

Edit: Unfortunately, World History isn't available (hobby) but Computer Science (job) is.
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:16 am

I was also really impressed with the range of languages on the website. (The app doesn't seem to let you change - mine is only offering me French.) That said, I don't know how much there actually is available in these languages. Based on my experience with the app, there were only maths and science, and often when you actually got through to some of the subsections, they were in English.
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Postby kulaputra » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:06 pm

There seems to be a decent amount in Spanish, and not just for math. YMMV I suppose. Hopefully they'll keep adding content.

I believe your account (on mobile at least) is assigned to the language you signed up with, but all their videos are on YouTube anyways so...
1 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”