Language Transfer is being sued?!

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Language Transfer is being sued?!

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:55 pm

Cainntear wrote:Not a surprise... particularly given that he uses the MT name on his site and produces courses primarily in languages that directly compete with MT. And then to compound it all, he responds to the lawyer's letter by saying that his course is better than MT. Not clever.

That's likely a very real issue. The sites FAQ needs a rewrite...

Cainntear wrote:The main thing with the patent is the use of the pause button, and however daft that sounds, well, no course did it before them, so they can argue that it's "non-obvious". My understanding is that in the US, it's no defense to say that the patent's valueless and the patent will be applied regardless -- if you want to get the patent struck down, you have to start your own action to have the patent declared invalid, and that's a costly process.

Not quite true, you can start this as defendant in a patent infringement claim. Likely in parallel to a patent office review request.

My personal opinion is that this will never go to court because it isn't in the interest of either party.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:21 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
Cainntear wrote:The main thing with the patent is the use of the pause button, and however daft that sounds, well, no course did it before them, so they can argue that it's "non-obvious". My understanding is that in the US, it's no defense to say that the patent's valueless and the patent will be applied regardless -- if you want to get the patent struck down, you have to start your own action to have the patent declared invalid, and that's a costly process.

Not quite true, you can start this as defendant in a patent infringement claim. Likely in parallel to a patent office review request.

Yeah, I see that now. The EFF letter is pretty clear on how things stand. It's great he's got them behind him, as this is well and truly a bullshit patent and it would be great for the community to see that established.

My personal opinion is that this will never go to court because it isn't in the interest of either party.

Yup, which is the sad part. I would love to see it struck down as an invalid patent.
2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 pm

Cainntear wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:

Yeah, I see that now. The EFF letter is pretty clear on how things stand. It's great he's got them behind him, as this is well and truly a bullshit patent and it would be great for the community to see that established.

Yup, which is the sad part. I would love to see it struck down as an invalid patent.

Yeah, having EFF is sort of like bringing a destroyer class battleship to a knife fight.
5 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:15 pm

My sympathies are completely with Language Transfer, and I hope they prevail.

However, I actually did the original LT course in tandem with MT's German. They weren't just similar ... they were almost identical, right down to the specific vocabulary and the order it was introduced. Even the sentences were the same a majority of the time. LT has since redone the German course, and I think Eleftheriou's style is a massive improvement over Michel Thomas's, but I can see how LT got in trouble.
8 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:50 pm

Ars Technica article on the subject.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... -eff-says/
2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:19 pm

1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”