Try out interlinear material

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Keys
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C2), German (C1), French (B2), Swedish (B2), Spanish (B2), Italian (B2), Russian (B2), Hungarian (B1), Polish (B1), Urdu (A2); reading literature and listening to audiobooks in Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish and Spanish. Studying Urdu, Polish atm.

Try out interlinear material

Postby Keys » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi folks, with Crush I've been working on creating interlinear material for more than two years and by now have more than 500,000 words of foreign language stories and literature translated to English, word for word, adding extra idiom where necessary. For those who haven't read any of my earlier posts, about ten years ago I got frustrated by how difficult it was to go from doing a language course to reading a book in that foreign language and started to create word for word translated material, first in pop-up format, currently also available in interlinear and interlinear on-demand (allows pressing a button to see the interlinear for a word or for the whole text, as per request by Mercutio, thanks).

Thanks everyone for supporting the HypLern project :) Just to be clear, you can get all the material for free through the site, or just pm me here! I included the link to the full versions here, in case someone is interested in a paperback (can't give those away for free). For those who want to try the interlinear format in the language they are studying, here is a list of free samples:

Basque: Try out interlinear Basque to English, click here for the free pdf sample. Or support the HypLern project and get the Basque Kindle versions or paperbacks here. More books coming up for Basque, for one, short stories by Pernando Amezketarra.

Danish: Try out interlinear Danish to English, click here for the free pdf sample. Or support the HypLern project and get the Danish Kindle versions or paperbacks here. Five interlinear books available for Danish. Audio can be found on lydbok.com for example.

Dutch: Try out interlinear Dutch to English, click here for the free pdf sample. Or support the HypLern project and get the Dutch Kindle versions or paperbacks here. Five interlinear books available, of which two have audio.

French: Try out interlinear French to English, click here for the free pdf sample. Or support the HypLern project and get the French Kindle versions or paperbacks here. Five interlinear books available, of which two have audio. Others are probably on Librivox.

Galician: Try out interlinear Galician to English, click here for the free pdf sample. Or support the HypLern project and get the Galician Kindle version or paperback here.

Georgian: Try out interlinear Georgian to English, click here for the free pdf sample. Or support the HypLern project and get the Georgian Kindle version or paperback here. Thanks to Expug for starting this! Another book for Georgian is also in the making.

German: Try out interlinear German to English, click here for the free pdf sample. Or support the HypLern project and get the German Kindle versions or paperbacks here. Five interlinear books available. Audio available for two of the books.

Hungarian: Try out interlinear Hungarian to English, click here for the free pdf sample. Or support the HypLern project and get the Hungarian Kindle versions or paperbacks here. Another beginner stories for Hungarian is coming up based off Grimm stories. Audio available for both existing books.

Indonesian: Try out interlinear Indonesian to English, click here for the free pdf sample. Or support the HypLern project and get the Indonesian Kindle version or paperback here. An Indonesian short stories is in the making.

Italian: Try out interlinear Italian to English, click here for the free pdf sample. Or support the HypLern project and get the Italian Kindle version or paperback here. Three books available with audio for one of them. Two more Italian books are planned for this year.

Latin: Try out interlinear Latin to English, click here for the free pdf sample. Or support the HypLern project and get the Latin Kindle version or paperback here. Four Latin books available

Norwegian: Try out interlinear Norwegian to English, click here for the free pdf sample. Or support the HypLern project and get the Norwegian Kindle version or paperback here. One book done. Two more Norwegian books are coming up.

Polish: Try out interlinear Polish to English, click here for the free pdf sample. Or support the HypLern project and get the Polish Kindle versions or paperbacks here. Three books available with audio for two. Two more Polish books underway..

Portuguese: Try out interlinear Portuguese to English, click here for the free pdf sample. Or support the HypLern project and get the Portuguese Kindle versions or paperbacks here. Two books available both with audio (European Portuguese).

Russian: Try out interlinear Russian to English, click here for the free pdf sample. Or support the HypLern project and get the Russian Kindle versions or paperbacks here. We already have seven Russian books published including one from Serafima Gettys from Russian for Dummies and a book from Masha Fergus with contemporary Russian modern fables.

Spanish: Try out interlinear Spanish to English, click here for the free pdf sample. Or support the HypLern project and get the Spanish Kindle versions or paperbacks here. Five Spanish books available of which two have audio.

Swedish: Try out interlinear Swedish to English, click here for the free pdf sample. Or support the HypLern project and get the Swedish Kindle versions or paperbacks here. Currently five Swedish books available, beginner stories and literature, of which two have audio.

You can use interlinear material just by reading it. If you discipline yourself to read and re-read and only look at meanings when you need to, you will learn the high frequency vocabulary of a foreign language in no time. Learning low frequency words is more difficult, especially if they have unfamiliar or unique roots. Using audio with it also helps, and it's a very easy listening tool that way as you can listen and immediately look up any unfamiliar words.

For one, the association of the story will help you memorize even difficult words, but using regular practice for those words is a good way to internalize them fast, and by marking them in your pdf or book and re-reading those paragraphs with the marked difficult words it will be relatively easy and fun compared to not-so-good old cramming word lists.

Thanks for reading up to here and again let me know if you'd like any pdf(s) for free :)
Last edited by Keys on Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 14 times in total.
18 x

Lysander
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18668

Re: Try out interlinear material

Postby Lysander » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:19 am

Maybe it is just some setting on my computer, but the links to go to the physical books on Amazon all seem to redirect to a generic search page.
2 x
: 17 / 30 Fluenz: Latin American Spanish Vol 1
: 17 / 150 Fluenz: Latin American Spanish - Overall

Andy E
Yellow Belt
Languages: *
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8001

Postby Andy E » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:40 am

Same for me but I just searched for "hyplern" + language and found them.
0 x

Keys
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C2), German (C1), French (B2), Swedish (B2), Spanish (B2), Italian (B2), Russian (B2), Hungarian (B1), Polish (B1), Urdu (A2); reading literature and listening to audiobooks in Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish and Spanish. Studying Urdu, Polish atm.

Postby Keys » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:15 pm

Lysander wrote:Maybe it is just some setting on my computer, but the links to go to the physical books on Amazon all seem to redirect to a generic search page.

Thanks for the heads up! Oops just created those links like a week ago and they worked in html, might be the forum has a different way of dealing with them.

Anyway redid them all and they work now! :D
0 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Thanks. Is the Portuguese European Portuguese?
0 x

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 pm

This is really awesome. Interlinear material is extremely useful and there is not much of it out there. Thanks for doing this.
3 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:23 am

Why is only one print book available for Spanish in Canada? :( Only the first book with "beginner stories" is there, and not the second one with "short stories". I wanted to buy both and give them together as a gift.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:02 pm

I'm impressed by the sheer number of bilinguals you have presented here, but I'm not quite convinced that doing interlinear translations with word-to-word matches is worth the added time expenditure. And even though the word-to-word matches look quite well in the Danish example I already found the Portuguese slightly more confusing, mainly due to problems with the word order. There will be cases where trying to match words while sticking to the original word order must be very difficult. I do however agree that you should know the content of the constituent words even in idiomatic expressions where the real meaning isn't obvious and a totally different kind of expression would be substituted in a normal 'literary' translation. In such cases I also prefer a literal translation plus a footnote containing the 'real' meaning.

When I first started out doing bilingual texts myself for study purposes I also first made interlinear translations, although I didn't try to match each word in the original with a word (or two) in the translation. I gave that up when I realized that I could work just as efficiently with side-by-side versions. I did however continue making bilinguals with a hyperliteral translation (in the footsteps of Assimil and Kauderwelsh), where you don't need to make the translation as a chain of genuine and correct sentences, because they could help me to get accostumed to weird word order and other grammatical patterns in my target languages - like the use of verbal particles instead of inversion in Irish questions.

Nowadays I almost exclusively do side-by-side texts, and even in my weakest languages I can generally match corresponding words and expressions so I don't feel that I need to spend time lining them up. And I only do hyperliteral word-for-word translations of those passages that show very unexpected patterns in a target language.
1 x

Φιλόσοφος
Yellow Belt
Languages: Native: Spanish
Speaks: English
Reads: French, German, Italian
Studies: a couple dozen more

Postby Φιλόσοφος » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:10 pm

These materials look amazing. Will be giving the printed book versions a try, especially for languages with less abundant materials such as Hungarian, Polish and Georgian. Congratulations!
2 x

Keys
Yellow Belt

Postby Keys » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:19 pm

Serafín wrote:Why is only one print book available for Spanish in Canada? :( Only the first book with "beginner stories" is there, and not the second one with "short stories". I wanted to buy both and give them together as a gift.

Thanks for the heads up! :) I actually didn't know paperbacks were available in Canada at all nowadays, before I had to order them via the US. Only Kindle was available. Same for the Netherlands, only Kindle version available.

Apparently Amazon is adding Canada for print on-demand as well? The Spanish Beginner Stories is actually shipped through Amazon.ca. But on the other hand, most of the HypLern books I see are like 30 or 40 dollars, and only sold through other companies. Not sure how that works, they probably buy them from Amazon US and then ship them with a huge margin on top.

I hope more countries will be added to sell Amazon paperbacks though, it's only six for now officially: US, UK, Germany, France, Spain, Italy and Japan.

The weird thing is we didn't even set the price for paperbacks in Canada, it's not even an option in the publishing dashboard, so not sure how Amazon has the right to sell it in Canada as paperback (even though I want them to).

[Edit:] looks like the more recent books are available in Canada as paperback, so I tried "re-publishing" Spanish Short Stories by lowering the price from 8.99 USD to 7.99 USD and will see if that makes it available here as well :)
Last edited by Keys on Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”