Complete Spanish Step-by-Step

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:23 am

McGraw-Hill 2016 first edition by Barbara Bregstein

Chapter 13. The Present Subjunctive
Chapter 20. The Present Subjunctive

I had a quick look at this book at the bookshop and noticed 2 chapters having the same title and very similar content. Chapter 20 did not seem to be an extension of chapter 13, but then I was just skimming. For those who have used the book - what's up with the double airtime? Built-in spaced repetition??
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Re: Complete Spanish Step-by-Step

Postby Jaleel10 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:48 am

That is a flaw in the way the book was put together. Originally there was an Easy Spanish SbS and an Advanced Spanish SbS. Basically they combined the two books together, without any form of editing whatsoever, and the result is Complete Spanish SbS. Both books contain chapters of the subjunctive so I assumed the original intention was to include it in both books (for extra reinforcement I guess). But they neglected to revise it when constructing the complete edition. I own all three books and noticed it early on :lol:
2 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks. So that's why! By the way, it was your no sabía que tuvieras una hermana that made me look up the subjunctive while at the bookshop :P
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:10 am

Jaleel10 wrote:That is a flaw in the way the book was put together. Originally there was an Easy Spanish SbS and an Advanced Spanish SbS. Basically they combined the two books together, without any form of editing whatsoever, and the result is Complete Spanish SbS. Both books contain chapters of the subjunctive so I assumed the original intention was to include it in both books (for extra reinforcement I guess). But they neglected to revise it when constructing the complete edition. I own all three books and noticed it early on :lol:

I used to edit training materials for an organisation and saw this and similar variations happen too frequently. I’m surprised to see it from a big publishing house.
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”