What works would you like audio for?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
kristiw

What works would you like audio for?

Postby kristiw » Tue May 22, 2018 2:27 am

This is probably just an idle idea I'll never do anything with, but I'm wondering whether it would be possible to use Mechanical Turk or other crowd-sourced services to get reasonably affordable audio recordings of public-domain works.

I know about librivox and I think it's great, but volunteers only have so much time, and there are a lot of works they won't get to anytime soon.

So I thought I'd make a list of works that are in the public domain in more than one language. For example, "The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin" is in the public domain, and the French translation is also in the public domain; I have also found public domain translations of "Origin of Species" and "Voyage of the Beagle" in both French and Spanish.

I'm sure there are LOTS of other works available in the public domain in multiple languages. Can you help me make a list?

What works can you think of that exist in at least two languages in the public domain, that you would like to have native-speaker audio for?

If I did this, I would want to put the recordings in the public domain or Creative Commons license if at all possible. The point is to create more freely sharable audio, not to make money.

If this sounds like an interesting idea to you, please suggest works you'd like to hear. I think it would be good to have a variety of reading levels and lengths, everything from Beatrix Potter stories to more accessible Public Library of Science articles. Some government-produced content exists in multiple languages and is in the public domain.

So if you think this sounds like an interesting idea - even if nothing ever comes of it - please suggest some public domain or creative commons works you'd like to hear. If you've got links to the text in two or more languages, please include that.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”