Postby FluffyGreenBunnies » Wed May 16, 2018 3:19 am

1 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Re: New Assimil

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:47 am

FluffyGreenBunnies wrote:Anyone know how this differs from the 2014/2004 Assimil? http://fr.assimil.com/methodes/5224-a-d ... io-cle-usb (https://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Superpac ... 2700581067)

I think the books have only recently been translated into English. They were published by Assimil on 2017/09/14. So there won't be a lot of people who had gone through it yet, sadly :cry: and even so, I don't think the book is being sold outside of Europe yet. And the Perfection series has not been translated to English yet

I am currently using the 2004 version (The English version was released in 2014) and I am loving it. If you have any questions about that, I'd be glad to answer :D
1 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Wed May 16, 2018 9:25 am

I assume it's the 2014 version but with USB instead of MP3 disc?
0 x

FluffyGreenBunnies
White Belt
Languages: English, Spanish (learning)

Postby FluffyGreenBunnies » Thu May 17, 2018 5:41 am

Jaleel10 wrote:And the Perfection series has not been translated to English yet
What's this?

Jaleel10 wrote:I am currently using the 2004 version (The English version was released in 2014) and I am loving it. If you have any questions about that, I'd be glad to answer :D
Thanks for the info, and the offer! Do you like it better than the 1987 version? What are the biggest differences?
0 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:42 am

FluffyGreenBunnies wrote:
Jaleel10 wrote:And the Perfection series has not been translated to English yet
What's this?

The B2 to C1 book. The correct English title is "Using Spanish". I have the 1996 English Version of it.

Your next question

Mmm. Tricky question. Both are equally good imo, I have only used the 1987 up untill Lesson 23. But I kinda lost motivation for Spanish in general so I dropped it, only starting up again after several months. I pirated the 87 version, but decided to buy the 2014 version (English) and I have been loving it. The only REAL difference is the vocab and grammar being more from that time. They use LE more, talk more in the usted, etc. The 2014 talks about more modern tech, uses a more informal speech, etc. Both will teach you Spanish using the same structures (The 87 does have more lessons).

Enjoy and please join me if you can :D
1 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:56 pm

I felt this topic probably didn't need a new post but have you guys seen the huge price spike with Assimil Spanish on Amazon :shock:

I bought it last year for around 60 USD and the price has doubled :!:

It seems I was lucky....
0 x

jonm
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Postby jonm » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Yeah, that's ridiculous. Another option is to order directly from Assimil. I've done that a few times and been impressed with their shipping. I'm in the northeast US, and my orders arrived from France in just two or three days, and they were easy to track online. The shipping does bump up the total cost, but it stays the same if you order more than one item, and it's somewhat offset by not having to pay VAT. (It came out cheaper than ordering from Assimil Canada, even though that's closer to me geographically.) Anyway, a good option to know about for Assimil offerings that are unavailable on Amazon or only available through a reseller who overcharges.
0 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:49 am

trippingly wrote:Yeah, that's ridiculous. Another option is to order directly from Assimil. I've done that a few times and been impressed with their shipping. I'm in the northeast US, and my orders arrived from France in just two or three days, and they were easy to track online. The shipping does bump up the total cost, but it stays the same if you order more than one item, and it's somewhat offset by not having to pay VAT. (It came out cheaper than ordering from Assimil Canada, even though that's closer to me geographically.) Anyway, a good option to know about for Assimil offerings that are unavailable on Amazon or only available through a reseller who overcharges.

Thanks, I am studying German next year and will definitely consider going that route.

Hashimi wrote:I bought the book of the 2014 English version 9 months ago for $29.5.

:shock: Damn, the cd's as well? Well tbf the audio files can be found online if you are resourceful but 29.5 is a great price.
1 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:02 am

Usually buying directly from the publisher is going to be more expensive (with rare exceptions). I am not in the US but when it comes to Assimil methods the best prices to Australia are usually from the Amazon UK* (slightly better than Amazon FR* most of the time) and Decitre.
I just did a total price comparison using BookFinder.com, and it seems Amazon CA and Amazon Uk are the cheapest options to the US for the new L'espagnol sans peine (book/super pack).

* Overseas Amazon sites no longer ship to Australia, so nowadays I use Decitre for almost all French books (if they are not available from The Book Depository (directly or through AbeBooks) or Australian sites such as Wordery.

By the way, I am not affiliated with any of the sites mentioned.
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:13 am

aravinda wrote:Usually buying directly from the publisher is going to be more expensive (with rare exceptions). I am not in the US but when it comes to Assimil methods the best prices to Australia are usually from the Amazon UK* (slightly better than Amazon FR* most of the time) and Decitre.
I just did a total price comparison using BookFinder.com, and it seems Amazon CA and Amazon Uk are the cheapest options to the US for the new L'espagnol sans peine (book/super pack).

* Overseas Amazon sites no longer ship to Australia, so nowadays I use Decitre for almost all French books (if they are not available from The Book Depository (directly or through AbeBooks) or Australian sites such as Wordery.

By the way, I am not affiliated with any of the sites mentioned.
In the UK, Blackwells often have competitive prices on language courses.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”