The Nature Method Institute's Language Courses

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Daantjerrr
Languages: Dutch (N); English, German (advanced); French, Arabic (intermediate); Spanish, Norwegian (beginner)

Re: The Nature Method Institute's Language Courses

Postby Daantjerrr » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:56 am

Yes, there are Dutchies here! It would be interesting to make a trip to The Hague to go look up those materials. However, I don't think I'll be able to anytime soon, thanks to the increased COVID19 infections here.
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:55 pm

I just want to revive this thread to see if anyone has looked further into anything here? I'm still on the hunt for the Russian course, and noticed the MSU one has been returned to their library. If it's open to the public next year, might be worth taking a trip in that direction...
3 x

mokibao
Orange Belt
Languages: Studying: way too many

Postby mokibao » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:32 pm

This is awesome news! Do you know if there were other volumes? It's hard to say with MSU's virtual interface
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:04 pm

So I did some trawling through various library websites last night, and not only was I able to find copies of the Italian, French and English books in various languages (Swedish, Danish and German), but I was able to actually find what appears to be a new nature method course, published by the same Naturmetodens Sproginstitut. It seems to unfortunately only be in Denmark, but it's still worth a shot to go look at when the libraries reopen (sadly I think it'll be much harder to get a scan and I can't read Danish, so don't know if it'd be available to check-out from the library to be able to scan it).

I was unable to find anything about the Russian one, though, and it really seems like there's only vol 3 at MSU. Quite disappointing. I still might contact the Humbolt institute again, just in case someone else there might see it and know about the old courses. It'd be interesting to see their other ones too, even if lower quality (I believe they had Spanish, German, Turkish and maybe some others besides the Russian?)

Edit: Actually, I might have just found a link to a Spanish one?

https://www.worldcat.org/title/amt-natu ... ef_results

It seems that they have English and French as well, with audio cassettes. I don't know if it's the same ones that eventually found their way to Humboldt, or the quality, or if it's even the same series but if there's someone in that area of Germany it might be worth looking at.

I've also found what appears to be a 'continuation course' for their English one. Whether it's a part 2 or just already part of the earlier one that's available online, I don't know.
3 x

mokibao
Orange Belt
Languages: Studying: way too many

Postby mokibao » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:32 pm

It's not clear whether the Spanish one was one of the original ones (and presumably of higher quality) or a "new" Assimil-like course by the Humboldt Institute rebranded as "Nature method". Ditto for German and Turkish. The only ones we know for sure were originally published are French, English, Italian, Latin and Russian. So this Spanish course is very curious indeed.

Also relevant to this thread, Seumas Mcdonald (from the Patrologist) is writing a "Nature method" course for ancient Greek (mostly Koine with sprinkles of Attic as far as I understand) that roughly follows the trail of LLPSI: https://seumasjeltzz.github.io/LinguaeG ... llustrata/

To give you an idea, the opening paragraphs go like this:

Ἡ Ἑλλάς ἐστιν ἐν τῇ Εὐρώπῃ. ἡ Ῑ̓ταλίᾱ ἐν τῇ Εὐρώπῃ ἐστίν. ἡ Ἑλλὰς καὶ ἡ Ῑ̓ταλίᾱ εἰσὶν ἐν τῇ Εὐρώπῃ. καὶ ἡ Ἱσπᾱνίᾱ ἐστὶν ἐν τῇ Εὐρώπῃ. καὶ ἡ Ἱσπᾱνίᾱ καὶ ἡ Ῑ̓ταλίᾱ καὶ ἡ Ἑλλάς εἰσιν ἐν τῇ Εὐρώπῃ.

ἡ Αἴγυπτος ἐν τῇ Εὐρώπῃ οὐκ ἔστιν, ἡ Αἴγυπτος ἐν τῇ Ᾱ̓φρικῇ ἐστιν. ἡ Γαλλία οὐκ ἔστιν ἐν τῇ Ᾱ̓φρικῇ, ἡ Γαλλίᾱ ἐστὶν ἐν τῇ Εὐρώπῃ. ἡ δὲ Συρίᾱ οὐκ ἔστιν ἐν τῇ Εὐρώπῃ, ἀλλὰ ἐν τῇ Ἀσίᾳ. καὶ ἡ Ἀραβίᾱ ἐν τῇ Ἀσίᾳ ἐστίν. ἡ Συρίᾱ καὶ ἡ Ἀραβίᾱ ἐν τῇ Ἀσίᾳ εἰσίν. ἡ δὲ Γερμανίᾱ οὐκ ἔστιν ἐν τῇ Ἀσίᾳ, ἀλλὰ ἐν τῇ Εὐρώπῃ ἐστίν. καὶ ἡ Βρεττανίᾱ ἐν τῇ Εὐρώπῃ ἐστίν. ἡ Γερμανίᾱ καὶ ἡ Βρεττανίᾱ εἰσὶν ἐν τῇ Εὐρώπῃ.

It is, by his own admission, incomplete and unsuitable for learning Ancient Greek by itself (notably because it lacks illustrations, sidenotes, etc.), but still, it looks very cool and interesting to see. If by any chance someone is an ancient Greek expert and wants to contribute the project is hosted at https://github.com/seumasjeltzz/Linguae ... Illustrata
1 x

aspartamo
Languages: Spanish(N), English(B2)

Postby aspartamo » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:16 pm

Hi!

If anyone is in possession of Spanish by the Nature Method, Русский язык по методу Натура or Dansk efter Naturmetoden, let me know: naturmethode@email.com

3 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:28 pm

Tell me more about the German course in the picture!
6 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

kabiman
Languages: English (N), Latin (Beginner)

Postby kabiman » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:05 pm

Ok, this thread is very, very, very old... but I just came across this in the comment section of a recording of Lingua Latina per se Illustrata, and it could be another clue. Interesting?
https://imgur.com/a/eOd8s14
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:35 pm

It was not approved because of this rule:

Copyright violations: We hate receiving angry letters from lawyers almost as much as the ones from Her Majesty's Government. More importantly, many good language courses are made by small publishers and family companies like Assimil. We want to encourage these people to create more resources. Please do not share illegally copied materials, or link to sites which are primarily used for that purpose. Some external sites like YouTube have their own mechanisms for taking down content, and it's usually safe to link to short excerpts on these sites—but not complete movies or TV shows.

The administrators of this website will not tolerate the illegal distribution or links to the illegal distribution of copyrighted material. Encouraging the use of illegal copyrighted material is also prohibited. This forum operations under the UK copyright system and the courts in the UK routinely issue injunctions in order to regulate and legislate to reduce copyright infringement. More information can be found on the UK Government Website. You can find more information about "Fair Use" and exceptions under UK copyright on that website if you're unsure about sharing a small portion of copyrighted material for criticism, review or quotation.

Unless you can prove what you have is in the public domain, or otherwise free of copyright violations, there isn't any way to share it here. If you have proof that the copyright has expired (in the UK) or the work was placed in the public domain by the publisher or author, then that is a different thing. For example, the FSI courses are public domain because they were created by the government. Work created by the US federal government is in the public domain.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:51 pm

I have re-read this thread again, and I cannot see anywhere other than the USA where these books are out of copyright. Copyright in most countries is lifetime of the author + 70 years. Copyright is governed in most countries principally the Berne Convention.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”