The Nature Method Institute's Language Courses

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Re: The Nature Method Institute's Language Courses

Postby Querneus » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:08 pm

ロータス wrote:Wish there was images of the pages. If someone here buys one, can you post some sample pages please.

Andreasmi posted a link from which you can download PDF versions of both the French book and the Italian book. I notice that, unlike Daristani, his post got zero likes until I just gave it one a minute ago. Did his post literally go completely unnoticed?
0 x

MrPenguin
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (advanced)

Postby MrPenguin » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:16 pm

Ser wrote:Andreasmi posted a link from which you can download PDF versions of both the French book and the Italian book. I notice that, unlike Daristani, his post got zero likes until I just gave it one a minute ago. Did his post literally go completely unnoticed?

I believe ロータス was referring to images of the pages of the actual physical books mentioned as being for sale in the post he was replying to. ;)
2 x

tokyohermit
Languages: English (N) Japanese (C1), French (B2), Icelandic (A1), Russian (A1) and others I have studied but... Mandarin, Swedish, Spanish, Swahili...

Postby tokyohermit » Mon May 11, 2020 7:00 am

Very interesting. Ive used Orberg and was so impressed I have got the French and the Italian books, which are just wonderful.

I would make a recommendation though these books will not take you as far the 'nature' method books will, however they are an excellent introductory series which will give you a very good grounding in the grammar and a vocab of about 1,500 words.

These are the Berlitz Self-teacher series. They are available for French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German and Russian (as far as I know).

They do use English, but overall they are pretty good if you cant get hold of a Nature method text.
0 x

Icepick23
Languages: Native: English
Learning: Attic Greek (Beginner), Italian (Beginner)
Future: Latin, French, German

Postby Icepick23 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:35 pm

Does anyone know the copyright status of these books, and how they ended up as pdfs? I'm confused because at first they appeared to be pirated, but they were posted on Vivarium Novum.
0 x

Sahmilat
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Sahmilat » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:45 pm

Icepick23 wrote:Does anyone know the copyright status of these books, and how they ended up as pdfs? I'm confused because at first they appeared to be pirated, but they were posted on Vivarium Novum.

In the US, the French and Italian books were published early enough that they are out of copyright. They were not renewed. Latin was renewed, of course, and the Russian book was published just after the copyright rules changed so it is still protected.
1 x

Icepick23
Languages: Native: English
Learning: Attic Greek (Beginner), Italian (Beginner)
Future: Latin, French, German

Postby Icepick23 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:23 am

Sahmilat wrote:
Icepick23 wrote:Does anyone know the copyright status of these books, and how they ended up as pdfs? I'm confused because at first they appeared to be pirated, but they were posted on Vivarium Novum.

In the US, the French and Italian books were published early enough that they are out of copyright. They were not renewed. Latin was renewed, of course, and the Russian book was published just after the copyright rules changed so it is still protected.

Thank you! This eases my conscience!
0 x

Hsh
Languages: English(N)
Russian (Beginner)

Postby Hsh » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:37 pm

Of possible interest:
I found Humboldt's 2005 web archive, which has a little information about each Nature Method course, as well as product numbers (perhaps useful in the search for the "lost" materials):
https://web.archive.org/web/20050209051035/http://www.humboldt.at/

Another thing to note: Humboldt has several languages listed as being Nature Method material which haven't been mentioned here: Slovak, Turkish, and some others. Perhaps these were the newer products that someone mentioned were poorer quality?

Curiously, Humboldt sold Linguaphone products alongside Nature Method products, and in similar packages: CD's with audio, and also textbooks. Given that Linguaphone is still an active company (https://linguaphone.co.uk/) while The Nature Method Institute has seemingly disappeared, and given the similarity between the methods/materials, I wonder if Humboldt was attempting to combine the two. Edit: linguaphone was an active company even while Humboldt sold their products
Last edited by Hsh on Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:54 pm

Sahmilat wrote:

Where were they first published?
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:52 pm

I got sent this website by another friend of the search today. Seems like they even have stumbled upon our website here a time or two (and make notice of the MSU possession of a volume of the Russian Course, which I posted on Reddit, so they're likely active there too)

https://caligula.org/Nature_Method_Institute.html

Hopefully it leads to more.

Also, if the author is reading again: I have actually seen several pages from the MSU work. It is the same work as the rest of them, in the same format. I had a friend request it via ILL in 2016, though he was unable to scan it before it had to be returned due to family issues. He sent me pictures, though I've since cleared out the Telegram chat it was on. I'll see if he still has them, and reupload them. I believe it was just of a few pages of it.
6 x

Proclus
Languages: Turkish
Latin
Persian
English

Postby Proclus » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:06 pm

So if these books are actually available in public libraries that means they are not entirely lost. Isn't there anyone here from Denmark and Netherlands?

https://www.worldcat.org/title/2000-fre ... 1002106586

EDIT:
For those interested in English voice-recordings. They are fresh ;)
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”