The Nature Method Institute's Language Courses

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
indeclinable
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), German (C1), Latin (C1), French (B2), Ancient Greek (B1), Italian (A2).

Want to study: Japanese & Russian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8803

Re: The Nature Method Institute's Language Courses

Postby indeclinable » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:38 am

I'm not familiar with all of the methods used by the Humboldt Insitute, but the ones I've superficially seen (with the exception of the Russian one) are not the ones made by Jensen. They do have an emphasis on dialogue and communication but they're not the "monolingual graded novels" typical of the "Jensenian school".
1 x
Omnis lingua usu potius discitur quam praeceptis, id est audiendo, legendo, relegendo, imitationem manu et lingua temptando quam creberrime. – Iohannes Amos Comenius

FernandoTercio
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (native), English (advanced), French (beginner), Mandarin (total beginner)

Postby FernandoTercio » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:03 pm

I have the Latin one "Familia Romana" I think it was called. I did a semester of Latin back in college (damn it hurts to say back in college :lol: ) and used it to dive a little deeper. Unfortunately being the dilettante that I am I completely forgot about it up to this present moment. I would recommend it in an eye-bat to anyone wanting to learn Latin.

I also looked it up the French course from the Nature Method Institute and, apparently, it's the same process, so I guess it will be good too. The problem is, of course, that this couldn't work for very separated languages ala spanish-mandarin.
3 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:10 am

indeclinable wrote:The Spanish one was never finished, as far as I’m aware they only made 10 chapters or so. But I have never seen it.

The German one is supposedly complete, if anyone can locate it I’d be eternally grateful.

Is there any reason why these books here (Studien und Plaudereien 1&2) would not be an acceptable substitute? They seem to be trying to do the same thing ...
1 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:36 am

Xmmm wrote:Is there any reason why these books here (Studien und Plaudereien 1&2) would not be an acceptable substitute? They seem to be trying to do the same thing ...
Unfortunately, these books are hopelessly outdated. If it has to be a direct method textbook for German, I'd recommend the following modern book instead:
Deutsche Sprachlehre für Ausländer by Dora Schulz and Heinz Griesbach (Amazon.de link with book preview; Google Books).
0 x

mystic
Languages: English (N)

Postby mystic » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:08 pm

For those of you interested in the Italian course, L'Italiano secondo il metodo natura:

0 x

LanguageProf
Languages: English, Spanish

Postby LanguageProf » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:01 am

Does anyone know who holds the copyrights to these magnificent books? From what I've read Arthur Jensen passed the copyrights to the publishing company that later went under. So does this mean that no one holds the copyrights currently? is this what's called orphaned works, and thus can be treated as public domain?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:39 am

LanguageProf wrote:Does anyone know who holds the copyrights to these magnificent books? From what I've read Arthur Jensen passed the copyrights to the publishing company that later went under. So does this mean that no one holds the copyrights currently? is this what's called orphaned works, and thus can be treated as public domain?

No because they are not the creation of a company but a person. So the copyright passes to the authors heirs.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

LanguageProf
Languages: English, Spanish

Postby LanguageProf » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:48 pm

Does anyone know where the late Arthur M. Jensen passed away? It would be a good start in looking for a will and finding out who his heirs are.
0 x

Feophan
Languages: Russian (N), English (C1), French (B2), German (B1), Dutch (A2)

Postby Feophan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:25 pm

Regarding the Russian course, I stumbled upon this book in some French online shop: "The russian alphabet by the nature method", by Oleg Koefoed-Obiedoff, published in Moscow in 1993.

The description lists 'Centre De Langue Et Culture Russe' as a publisher.
0 x

Daristani
Orange Belt

Postby Daristani » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:51 pm

For those interested in acquiring physical copies of the Nature Method books, it seems that the French and Italian versions, divided into three volumes each, are now available:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=francais+met ... nb_sb_noss

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=l%27+italian ... _ss_i_1_22

As to whether these are authorized or unauthorized reprints, I have no idea.
3 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”