Natibo - Android app for Glossika (and more!)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Re: Natibo - Android app for Glossika (and more!)

Postby crush » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:07 am

rstewartnyc wrote:Thanks for the help with all of this. I've been using the app for a bit and now it looks like I'll have to change phones, what is the best way to pick up where I left off? I tried backing up the app but it's not listed (I'm guessing since it wasn't from the app store). If I put in my "starting sentence number", will it pretty much pick up where I left off, or is there a better, more complete way to go about this? I'm going from a Samsung note 5 to a Samsung Galaxy 9 if that matters at all since the operating systems will be slightly different, though both android. Any added insight is greatly appreciated.

Ahh, that's something that i've meant to address for a while. At the moment, your best bet is as you say to set the starting number to where you left off, though unfortunately that'll skip your last few days of reviews (and you'll have to reload the language packs). And yeah, the app's still in a bit of an unfinished state so hasn't been uploaded to the Play Store. I can look into backing up the data, i'm not sure if i'd have it ready by the time you'd need it though.

Edit: if you're not afraid of going a bit deeper, something like this may work:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/130 ... oid-device

I'm not sure how familiar you are with computers, but here's a quick overview of the steps you'll want to follow (i just tested it on my phone and it appears to work for me):

1. Download "adb". This is a set of tools used for working with/debugging Android applications and the system in general. You can download it for your operating system here.
2. Unzip the platform-tools folder somewhere, say right in your Downloads folder.
3. Assuming you're on Windows, open up the command prompt (type "cmd" into the search bar) and change to the platform-tools directory (if you open up the platform-tools folder in Windows Explorer and press ctrl+L, you can copy the path into the command prompt. Just put "cd PATH_NAME").
4. Run "adb devices" to see if your phone shows up. If it says "unauthorized", enable developer options for your phone. Then go to the new Developer Options section and make sure USB debugging is enabled. Your phone should ask you to confirm that you want to allow your computer to connect to your phone.
5. Run the command "adb backup -apk ch.ralena.natibo". This may take some time (a few minutes) depending on how many language files you have. You'll need to confirm on your phone that you want to make the backup. When it's done, the command will finish in the command prompt and the full backup screen will close on your phone.
6. Enable developer options/usb debugging on your new phone and disconnect your old phone and connect new phone to the computer.
7. Run "adb restore backup.ab". Again, you'll need to confirm that you want to restore the data.
0 x

rstewartnyc
Languages: English (N), French (A2/B1)

Postby rstewartnyc » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:09 pm

crush wrote:
rstewartnyc wrote:Thanks for the help with all of this. I've been using the app for a bit and now it looks like I'll have to change phones, what is the best way to pick up where I left off? I tried backing up the app but it's not listed (I'm guessing since it wasn't from the app store). If I put in my "starting sentence number", will it pretty much pick up where I left off, or is there a better, more complete way to go about this? I'm going from a Samsung note 5 to a Samsung Galaxy 9 if that matters at all since the operating systems will be slightly different, though both android. Any added insight is greatly appreciated.

Ahh, that's something that i've meant to address for a while. At the moment, your best bet is as you say to set the starting number to where you left off, though unfortunately that'll skip your last few days of reviews (and you'll have to reload the language packs). And yeah, the app's still in a bit of an unfinished state so hasn't been uploaded to the Play Store. I can look into backing up the data, i'm not sure if i'd have it ready by the time you'd need it though.

Edit: if you're not afraid of going a bit deeper, something like this may work:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/130 ... oid-device

I'm not sure how familiar you are with computers, but here's a quick overview of the steps you'll want to follow (i just tested it on my phone and it appears to work for me):

1. Download "adb". This is a set of tools used for working with/debugging Android applications and the system in general. You can download it for your operating system here.
2. Unzip the platform-tools folder somewhere, say right in your Downloads folder.
3. Assuming you're on Windows, open up the command prompt (type "cmd" into the search bar) and change to the platform-tools directory (if you open up the platform-tools folder in Windows Explorer and press ctrl+L, you can copy the path into the command prompt. Just put "cd PATH_NAME").
4. Run "adb devices" to see if your phone shows up. If it says "unauthorized", enable developer options for your phone. Then go to the new Developer Options section and make sure USB debugging is enabled. Your phone should ask you to confirm that you want to allow your computer to connect to your phone.
5. Run the command "adb backup -apk ch.ralena.natibo". This may take some time (a few minutes) depending on how many language files you have. You'll need to confirm on your phone that you want to make the backup. When it's done, the command will finish in the command prompt and the full backup screen will close on your phone.
6. Enable developer options/usb debugging on your new phone and disconnect your old phone and connect new phone to the computer.
7. Run "adb restore backup.ab". Again, you'll need to confirm that you want to restore the data.

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like my phone decided to come back to life so I may be keeping it for the time being. This is still a good bit of information to have here though. Thanks also for all the work you've put into this app.
1 x

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:37 pm

No problem! I'm glad you've found it useful!
0 x

kathlinn
Languages: Azerbaijani
Georgian

Postby kathlinn » Wed May 13, 2020 1:33 pm

Would it be possible to have two languages added?

Georgian
Azerbaijani

Thanks!
0 x

Arnav
White Belt
Languages: EN (Native)

Postby Arnav » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:04 pm

@Crush

Have you removed the scripts from your site (as mentioned in the first post)? All I see are two game options. One of which (rogue) runs very slowly for some reason on my toaster of a laptop.
0 x
Philippine Languages group chat: https://discord.gg/dfCEkZB

Mostly using LWT and lazy Anki...

Arnav
White Belt

Postby Arnav » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:00 pm

I've found your scheduler which may work just as well... I'm wondering if I should hit you up on github instead of here for a response.
0 x

Arnav
White Belt

Postby Arnav » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:11 am

https://www.memrise.com/user/chickendud ... /teaching/

Nice! I was looking for premade anki FSI decks and no dice, but I see you are the creator of several memrise courses! I hope once you return to these forums we can chat, would love to pick your brain @Crush.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”