Facebook Language groups

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Facebook Language groups

Postby CarlyD » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:55 pm

Has anyone gotten involved with language groups on Facebook?

I'd signed up on Facebook with several "places" before (Memrise, Duolingo, etc.) that would post helpful tips or little verb charts or something. Interesting, but generally would get swallowed up in all the stuff being churned out every second on there.

Recently I joined some actual learning groups that seem to have been started by regular people. There's been some interesting conversation, lots of back-and-forth questions. I think they could be really helpful--at least I hope they could. A bonus is people hooking up level-wise--in a thread everyone posted what their current level was based on an online test and people are starting to message others at the same level for support and sharing.

Another group seems really helpful, but people keep posting pictures of themselves and I fear it's really a hook-up site.

Anyone else tried any of the groups there? Have any German ones you belong to and like?
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Facebook Language groups

Postby Cainntear » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:23 pm

I find Facebook language groups pretty boring -- because messages don't hang around, you end up with the same questions being asked again and again and again and again and again....
5 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:08 am

Have you heard of Discord ? It's a bit more "community oriented" for Language Learning than Facebook, imo. There is always conversation going (in peak hours), resources, being shared, advice being given, etc.

I am in a Spanish one. We are probably 30 regular online members excluding the 5 - 8 Natives. Below is a view of how it is structured.

The group is mostly Americans. So it is very dead right now (which sucks for my timezone lol) but you get the idea:
Screenshot_8.png

Here is the German. A bit more chaotic and much more natives !

Screenshot_10.png

Here is the link to the German one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
8 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:44 am

Instant chat may be handy for practice, but I still prefer a good old bulletin board/forum if I want help in understanding points of language, because there's a handy archive of questions previously asked, so it doesn't become a daily trudge of discussing the same old questions day in, day out. I've seen plenty of Facebook groups crowded out by beginners' questions (and tattoo requests) and I can picture the same thing happening with dischord chats.
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:50 am

I find Telegram to be quite good for language chats. Some groups can feel a bit cliquey at times, but there are some good people there!
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”