Audio for The New Penguin Russian Course

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Speakeasy

Re: Audio for The New Penguin Russian Course

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:02 am

Ah, the Holy Grail of audio recordings for Russian courses! The publishers themselves did not provide audio recordings to accompany this course book. Nevertheless, if I recall correctly, about a decade ago, a native Russian speaker purportedly prepared a set of recordings based on this course and offered to the sell them for something in the neighborhood of 80 $US. I came across this offer a couple of years ago and would have eagerly purchased a set but, unfortunately, the links and other contact information were no longer valid. Should you, or anyone else ever come across a copy of these recordings or any others for this course book, I would be most interested in acquiring a set!
1 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:56 am

Deleted.
Last edited by aravinda on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:21 am

I'm interested too, thanks.
0 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:35 pm

$80? wow. I bet you could hire someone on upwork to do it for that price, and then you'd be the lord of the penguin.
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm

leosmith wrote:$80? wow. I bet you could hire someone on upwork to do it for that price, and then you'd be the lord of the penguin.
While this might seem to be a steep price in today's terms, we should bear in mind that this offer was made at a time when many of the tools that are now available for recording and distributing audio were not readily accessible. In addition, the market for a set of (bootleg) audio recordings which had been prepared by a non-professional to accompany an old Russian course, would have been rather limited. By way of comparison, if I recall correctly, Audio-Forum, Multilingual, and others once sold their editions of the FSI courses (printed manuals and CDs) for prices in the range of 1,200 US$. From this perspective, I would say that the price of 80 $US would have been reasonable at the time. Furthermore, I would suspect that, once a few dozen sales had been effected, the market would have disappeared because (a) there would not be very many people willing to pay such a price and (b) the "informal exchange" of the purchased sets of recordings, once in circulation, would have displaced the original offer. That is, the person who made these recordings would have been minimally compensated for his efforts. Having said all of that, I would bet a dollar-to-a-dime that there is still a small market for these recordings at a lower price.
2 x

BOLIO
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish Advanced
Mandarin- Beginner

Postby BOLIO » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:35 pm

Strange. I came here today to ask this very question. I remember reading Mapk’s thread back in the day but had no interest in learning Russian at the time. Oh how I wish I would have had a little foresight.
0 x
Reminder to myself: Perfection is useless and harmful. Just keep moving forward.

n_j_f
Orange Belt

Studying:
French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Postby n_j_f » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:03 am

If the audio ever turns up, please please please let me know as well! The Penguin Russian Course is great, but for me I need to hear the language as well.

Keep in mind that Hugo Russian in Three Months, which is a precursor of sorts to the Penguin Russian Course, comes with audio. I believe the male speaker is the same as one of the presenters of the BBC's Russian Language and People and the narrator of До свидания лето (Goodbye Summer).
3 x

Seneca
Green Belt
Languages: English (N); 日本語 (beginner)

Postby Seneca » Sat May 05, 2018 3:02 pm

I have all three of the files linked in the opening post. Keep in mind they only total about 3 minutes and 14 seconds. But I have zipped them and am happy to share via Sprend with anyone who sends me the email address to use.
1 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:13 pm

Hashimi wrote:
Seneca wrote:I have all three of the files linked in the opening post. Keep in mind they only total about 3 minutes and 14 seconds. But I have zipped them and am happy to share via Sprend with anyone who sends me the email address to use.

Yes, I was disappointed to know that the total length of the audio is about 3 minutes only.

If one or more of you is willing to get the appropriate email address to get permission from Penguin, and write the email, I'll send it to them, and if they approve, have this developed and host it on https://languagetools.io/ for free forever.
2 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”