CaptionPop | Watch Youtube videos with subtitles in both L1 and L2 (Free)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

CaptionPop | Watch Youtube videos with subtitles in both L1 and L2 (Free)

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:26 am

(I was browsing Reddit this morning and saw it posted there)

https://www.captionpop.com/

There isn't really much to say lol. Probably better just to see pictures. It's similar to paid services like Yabla and Lingo without the added learning features. And also similar to Lingo Player, which I've been using for this.

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_7.jpg

Screenshot_5.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
9 x

dicentra8
Orange Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), Japanese (JLPT N3), Finnish (beginner), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9114

Re: CaptionPop | Watch Youtube videos with subtitles in both L1 and L2 (Free)

Postby dicentra8 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Old thread but I just came across this resource and had to reply how happy I am to find it! I was also browsing through Reddit when I saw someone mention it. :lol:

One problem that I've had for a while with the Youtube search is that I can only search for videos that have subtitles added... and for a while I wished that I could specify the language of the subtitles! Often the results I get is mostly subtitles in English when what I was looking for was: Japanese audio w/ Japanese subtitles; Finnish audio w/ Finnish subtitles. :x Luckily this resource solves (kind of) that problem which is great!

The only downside that I noticed (but understandable) is that the subtitles used are the ones that were added with the video. This isn't always a huge problem, honestly at this point I'm more like "better to have something to work with than nothing!", but often with my TL there's always some omissions. With videos in japanese you can hear the person murmuring something and that doesn't appear in the subtitles. Basically they aren't 100% word-for-word version of what you're hearing. But sometimes it can get close to it.

Overall I'm really glad that now I can search for Youtube videos and specify the language of the subtitles! :D
3 x
"I have to watch the time I spend playing Tetris very carefully."

jbaudanza
Languages: English, Korean

Postby jbaudanza » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:43 pm

Hello! I'm the creator of CaptionPop and I just saw this thread! Thank you for posting about it! If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, feel free to e-mail me anytime. jon@captionpop.com.

@dicentra8 I agree that finding videos with good quality subtitles isn't as straightforward as it should be. I've thought about maybe adding a way for language learners to rate videos based on the quality of the subs, and then maybe do recommendations based on that. I'd be open to any other ideas if you have them.

Thanks!
6 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:19 pm

dicentra8 wrote:Old thread but I just came across this resource and had to reply how happy I am to find it! I was also browsing through Reddit when I saw someone mention it. :lol:

Thanks for resurrecting this post, which I had never seen. This is a very useful resource, for sure.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

joecleland
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (A1/A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p147718

Postby joecleland » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:35 am

I feel like I am the last guy in :lol: however, I will say the same thing. Thank you for resurrecting this post. I'm already excited and trying to use this!!!
1 x
    Complete
  • Pimsleur French 1
  • Fluent Forever 625 Word List
  • Assimil NFWE - 77/113 Lessons (68%)
  • iTalki Conversations - 26 Hours

Currently Using
    Lingoda Level A1 - 100 hours
  • A1.1 - 45/50 Hours Complete (90%)
  • A1.2 - 7/50 Hours Complete (14%)

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”