Dutch resources

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Re: Dutch resources

Postby David1917 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:16 pm

neumanc wrote:[list][*]"Langenscheidts Praktischer Sprachlehrgang" (1997). This is a different course from the above-mentioned one. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued, but used copies are still available. It consists of a coursebook (256 pages), an answer key and two cassettes or CDs. This course follows the grammar-translation method which has gone out of fashion today. However, this course is the most comprehensive course for studying Dutch from a German base if you put Assimil aside (at least grammar-wise). The pages are tightly printed, the grammar and translation exercises are thorough. The vocabulary list at the end of the book has about 1,700 entries, which is not so much, but the grammar explanations are top-notch.

Is this the same as the "Praktisches Lehrbuch"? I have one of these I picked up in Berlin just for the collection, I can get some details on it when I get home. I was under the impression the Lehrbuch was their most comprehensive coursebook. I got some of the 30 Stunden books as well for Danish and Russian, they seem pretty good and handy, but obviously not comprehensive.

I'm sort of resistant to learn Dutch because I don't "need" it and am not particularly drawn to it or the Netherlands, so to add something else to my endless list that I don't have enough time for would be somewhat foolish. But in the interest of a more complete picture of the Germanic family it might be inevitable to do. This thread is certainly not helping, knowing that the Assimil & Linguaphone courses are especially highly regarded...
0 x

neumanc
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: German (native), English, Dutch
Studies: French (advanced), Spanish (false beginner)
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Latin

Postby neumanc » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:47 pm

David1917 wrote:
neumanc wrote:[list][*]"Langenscheidts Praktischer Sprachlehrgang" (1997). This is a different course from the above-mentioned one. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued, but used copies are still available. It consists of a coursebook (256 pages), an answer key and two cassettes or CDs. This course follows the grammar-translation method which has gone out of fashion today. However, this course is the most comprehensive course for studying Dutch from a German base if you put Assimil aside (at least grammar-wise). The pages are tightly printed, the grammar and translation exercises are thorough. The vocabulary list at the end of the book has about 1,700 entries, which is not so much, but the grammar explanations are top-notch.

Is this the same as the "Praktisches Lehrbuch"? I have one of these I picked up in Berlin just for the collection, I can get some details on it when I get home. I was under the impression the Lehrbuch was their most comprehensive coursebook. I got some of the 30 Stunden books as well for Danish and Russian, they seem pretty good and handy, but obviously not comprehensive.

I'm sort of resistant to learn Dutch because I don't "need" it and am not particularly drawn to it or the Netherlands, so to add something else to my endless list that I don't have enough time for would be somewhat foolish. But in the interest of a more complete picture of the Germanic family it might be inevitable to do. This thread is certainly not helping, knowing that the Assimil & Linguaphone courses are especially highly regarded...
Yes, each of the "Langenscheidts Praktischer Sprachlehrgang"-courses consists of a coursebook called "Langenscheidts Praktisches Lehrbuch", an answer key called "Schlüssel zu den Übungen" and the two (in some cases three) accompanying cassettes or CDs. In the 1980s and 90s, they were published for a wide range of languages (maybe 20?). Before that, only a few languages were covered in different generations. In the 1970s, they were called "Langenscheidts Praktischer Cassetten-Spachlehrgang" (but not their Dutch course of that generation, because there was no audio for it) and in the 1950s "Langenscheidts Praktischer Sprachplatten-Lehrgang". The first of these courses were published in the 1930s (however, no Dutch course). Insterestingly, at that time, these courses, although equally thorough as their subsequent courses from the 1980s and 90s, were the shortest courses Langenscheidt had to offer. Langenscheidt's publishing history began in 1856 with the first of the most thorough and most intensive courses ever developed, the first edition of the French version of their series called "Brieflicher Sprach- und Sprech-Unterricht". Each of these courses had about a thousand (!) pages. There was even such a course for Dutch (published in 1905, if I remember correctly), but the spelling is quite different from today's Dutch spelling. I really should and maybe I will (when I have the time) post a publishing history of these courses, because (you might have guessed it) I have collected nearly all of them.
1 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:59 am

neumanc wrote:
David1917 wrote:

Yes, each of the "Langenscheidts Praktischer Sprachlehrgang"-courses consists of a coursebook called "Langenscheidts Praktisches Lehrbuch", an answer key called "Schlüssel zu den Übungen" and the two (in some cases three) accompanying cassettes or CDs. In the 1980s and 90s, they were published for a wide range of languages (maybe 20?). Before that, only a few languages were covered in different generations. In the 1970s, they were called "Langenscheidts Praktischer Cassetten-Spachlehrgang" (but not their Dutch course of that generation, because there was no audio for it) and in the 1950s "Langenscheidts Praktischer Sprachplatten-Lehrgang". The first of these courses were published in the 1930s (however, no Dutch course). Insterestingly, at that time, these courses, although equally thorough as their subsequent courses from the 1980s and 90s, were the shortest courses Langenscheidt had to offer. Langenscheidt's publishing history began in 1856 with the first of the most thorough and most intensive courses ever developed, the first edition of the French version of their series called "Brieflicher Sprach- und Sprech-Unterricht". Each of these courses had about a thousand (!) pages. There was even such a course for Dutch (published in 1905, if I remember correctly), but the spelling is quite different from today's Dutch spelling. I really should and maybe I will (when I have the time) post a publishing history of these courses, because (you might have guessed it) I have collected nearly all of them.

Excellent information. In fact, my only knowledge of Langenscheidt is from Prof Arguelles' video review. I wonder if he was even aware of the "Sprachlehrgang" as a complete entity, since he only refers to the Lehrbücher and occasional Schlüssel. He collected most of his from used bookstores so finding complete courses was probably impossible.

I would look forward to a post about the history of the courses, especially some collection photos. Those 1,000 pagers sound like some great collector's items. When I'm back in Germany, the hunt is on...
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:13 pm

tommus wrote:Two good Dutch audio books with matching Dutch Kobo e-books. The Day of the Jackal and Sapiens.

If you like reading along with the audio books, here are two that match exactly. There are versions in other languages but I have not tried them. Here is where I bought these two audio books and the two e-books.

MP3 Audio books

https://www.luisterrijk.nl/luisterboek/5773/de-dag-van-de-jakhals

https://www.luisterrijk.nl/luisterboek/5731/sapiens?ac=20190223

Kobo e-books

https://www.kobo.com/ca/nl/ebook/de-dag-van-de-jakhals

https://www.kobo.com/ca/nl/ebook/sapiens-1

All four have previews.

tommus wrote:Understanding Dutch-language cartoons can be challenging if you are not native Dutch. But Sigmund cartoons seem to be relatively easy to understand.

http://www.sigmund.nl/

You can find a lot more by Googling sigmund cartoons archief.

The current edition (Saturday, 2 March) is about a Dutch language student. The message seems to be quite accurate about the state of studying the Dutch language, not just in the Netherlands, but here on the Forum, or even here in this thread.

tommus wrote:Dutch reading training website

This website is targeted at school children but it has lots of very good basic word lists including articles (de, het). And it has a very good section with thematic wordlists with easy explanations (check out the 5 sections under "Staal". Other parts of the website have lots of exercises if you like that sort of thing.

Dutch reading training website

Look at the various sections in this part of the website

woordpakketten van veel gebruikte methodes - word packages of often used methods

tommus wrote:
Elsa Maria wrote:ETA: Here is a link to the list of Dutch poets.

There is an excellent source of Dutch literature and poetry at:

Neerlandistiek - Online tijdschrift voor taal- en letterkundig onderzoek

This site offers a wide variety of new and historic literature and poetry, as well as lots of current items of interest about the Dutch language. I am not much into poetry, and I find historic Dutch literature to be interesting but somewhat counterproductive because of the rather different spelling. My favourite contributor on the site is Marc van Oostendorp. He has a great sense of humour and has lots of video/audio etc. on YouTube and documentaries.

You can get a comprehensive daily newsletter via email from Neerlandistiek which invariably includes poetry and a good variety of items and links. You can get this free newsletter here:

Neerlandistiek Dagoverzicht newsletter

tommus wrote:The European Union and European news in Dutch

A very important aspect of learning Dutch is to look at things through the eyes of Dutch-language speakers. The Netherlands and Belgium are in Europe and are EU members, so everything European is important to them. Here are two excellent resources to read and learn more from this perspective.

Dutch-language website of the European Union

Officiële website van de Europese Unie (Official website of the European Union)

There is a wealth of interesting information here in Dutch: About the EU, Live, work and travel in the EU, EU law, agriculture, business, culture, health, taxes, documents, publications, Kids Corner, learning material, etc. All the member countries of the EU are listed (in Dutch spelling) with a nice summary of each of these countries (all in Dutch). And much, much more. And of course all this information is also on the EU site in all the official languages of the EU. So you can do parallel reading, etc. in the language of your choice. A great resource.

Current news about Europe in Dutch

Europa Nu - onafhankelijk en actueel (Europe Now - independent & up-to-date)

This is a very extensive current news site, with much more. Headings are: Hot Issues, Europe in the world, Netherlands in Europe, Policy and the future, Who does what, Practical Europe, etc. Tons of great reading in Dutch on a very attractive web site.

tommus wrote:The interesting municipality of Jurgensland

Here is a Dutch-language web site that has a lot of easy and intriguing reading for the language learner. I stumbled across this site through a link provided by zenmonkey although he probably didn't know it lead to Jurgensland.

It took me a while to figure out what this web site is all about. Many mysteries remain. It is an intriguing concept.

https://www.jurgensland.nl/

They even have a section on funny little stories in the Coffee Corner.

https://www.jurgensland.nl/koffiecorner.php

What can you discover about Jurgensland?
2 x

Legolas
Languages: English, complicated

Postby Legolas » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:03 pm

Hi, friends!

Can someone please help me with Answer Key for Intensive Dutch Course? I didn't manage to find it anywhere and it is totally impossible for us to learn it without. There isn't one in the book, even though we expected it. At Routledge website it is Answer Key is mentioned in Table Of Contents.
0 x

Gomaith
Languages: English N

Postby Gomaith » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:47 am

Jaleel10 wrote:What would be a good way to approach learning Dutch if you were me? Just start reading and listening from Day 1? Are there any Dutch courses/ workbooks entirely in Dutch?

Ijsbreker.

Code Nederlands.

Levend Nederlands.
0 x

ashipinthenight
Languages: Dutch A1

Postby ashipinthenight » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:01 am

Good morning,

Did anyone manage to obtain the audio recordings to compliment the following courses?

Levend Nederlands
Spoken Dutch - Holt

I have the books but cannot find the audio online anywhere.....

Best Regards,

ASITN
0 x

Gomaith
Languages: English N

Postby Gomaith » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:48 pm

David27 wrote:Danke für die Liste. Es wird mir helfen, wenn ich Nierderländisch in ernst studiere. Jemand hier lernt Nierderländisch durch Deutsch? Haben sie guten Niederländischkurse/ Bücher auf Deutsch zu empfehlen?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PONS-Power-Spr ... 514&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PONS-Power-Spr ... 700&sr=8-4
0 x

rowanexer
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (N2), French (B1), Portuguese (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19019

Postby rowanexer » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:03 am

Been looking for pronunciation resources and found some good free ones.

https://uitsprekend.webleren.be/themes
VDAP Uitsprekend
This is a website and app that teaches Flemish pronunciation. It has units for sounds, word stress, sentence stress and the alphabet. Exercises include minimal pairs, counting syllables, reading out loud etc. There are videos showing how to move your lips/mouth to make the sounds. It's all in Dutch but seems like a good resource. I do wish there were tongue diagrams though.

https://www.rug.nl/language-centre/abou ... ion-videos
This is by the same university that does the Introduction to Dutch MOOC. It's a series of explanatory videos with a teacher. She explains and teaches how to say individual sounds, and then there are many minimal pair exercises and examples of words containing those sounds. Everything is in Dutch only.

I'm also very welcome to any paid resources people know about! Lagerwy's Speak Dutch course looked like it had some good pronunciation drills but unfortunately I can't find the audio anywhere.
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:16 pm

Lagerwey is quite old. In some ways it reminds me of Levend Nederlands (which I did and it is good in many ways), but the pronunciation has changed a bit in modern Dutch. Especially with ij, ei, ee in a quite a lot of words. Not that I'm against 'correct' pronunciation.

Also I fear with the style of dialogue drills, even in a lot of modern self-study courses, they are so far away from how people actually talk they are close to useless.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”