Digitalizing cassettes...

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Pal
Languages: Cantonese (N), Mandarin (ILR 5), English (C2)

Digitalizing cassettes...

Postby Pal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:01 am

Since I couldn't locate any relevant information of it (probably due to a certain extent of tech-illiteracy), I am opening a thread on: Which methods or brands of devices are particularly recommended for digitalizing language course recordings?

I have recently persuaded the local public library to lend the recordings of the Made Simple series (French, German, Spanish, and Italian), in the format of cassettes. Please enlighten me. Thank you.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Digitalizing cassettes...

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:31 am

Pal wrote:Since I couldn't locate any relevant information of it (probably due to a certain extent of tech-illiteracy), I am opening a thread on: Which methods or brands of devices are particularly recommended for digitalizing language course recordings?

I have recently persuaded the local public library to lend the recordings of the Made Simple series (French, German, Spanish, and Italian), in the format of cassettes. Please enlighten me. Thank you.

The easiest way is to simply get a cable with two male ends and plug the output of a cassette player into the input of a computer and record it with audacity. Here are instructions.

https://lifehacker.com/222394/alpha-geek-how-to-digitize-cassette-tapes
5 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Tutescrew
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner), French (beginner), Esperanto (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16736

Postby Tutescrew » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:13 pm

I purchased a USB cassette recorder on a well known e-commerce site for about $20 US, and use Audacity (free)...it plugs into a USB port. I've used Audacity on Windows and Linux, both with good results, to convert cassettes to MP3 files. Audacity has a good manual online, which discusses this process. I have also purchased a phono amp for recording some old Linguaphone 78's with my 80's vintage turntable, using the "change speed" feature (record at 45 rpm, change to 78 rpm). I purchased a dedicated 78 rpm stylus/cartridge for that, but I am getting off topic :) The output of the phono amp goes into the USB cassette unit using a pair of RCA cables. I still have not experimented with noise reduction, blank space reduction, etc., but I plan to do that.

EDIT: The USB cassette recorder/player is a separate component used only when I record cassettes. After actually looking at my *vinyl* recording setup last night, I realized that I use a phono amp and a *separate* USB sound card in that configuration.

Tutescrew
Last edited by Tutescrew on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Tutescrew's French Progress
: 30 / 30 Pimsleur French I
: 16 / 30 Pimsleur French II
: 3 / 10 FSI French Phonology

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:39 pm

rdearman wrote:The easiest way is to simply get a cable with two male ends and plug the output of a cassette player into the input of a computer and record it with audacity. Here are instructions.

Nice in theory, but I haven't seen a line-in socket on a PC in well over a decade. Most only have a microphone socket, which expects a much weaker signal and is mono only. Even PCs aimed at audio production often don't have them, as audio pros tend to use external sound devices these days.

You can get a USB audio adaptor with line-in, or you can get a USB tape-deck.
1 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:28 am

I don't have any experience with digitising audio cassettes (or records) but I have been thinking of buying a device like this one for the same purpose. Anyone has had any experience with it or other similar devices?
@ Pal. Good job, persuading the library to lend you the cassettes. Good luck with the digitising!
Last edited by aravinda on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

hedgehog.chess
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (~B2ish), German (~B2ish)
Language Log: https://tinyurl.com/yaofno9u

Postby hedgehog.chess » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:02 am

Cainntear wrote:
rdearman wrote:The easiest way is to simply get a cable with two male ends and plug the output of a cassette player into the input of a computer and record it with audacity. Here are instructions.

Nice in theory, but I haven't seen a line-in socket on a PC in well over a decade. Most only have a microphone socket, which expects a much weaker signal and is mono only. Even PCs aimed at audio production often don't have them, as audio pros tend to use external sound devices these days.

I used the method mentioned by rdearman about half a year ago and it worked like a charm. In fact better than expected, so it's not just a theory.
1 x

Tutescrew
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner), French (beginner), Esperanto (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16736

Postby Tutescrew » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:42 pm

Aravinda,

That looks like exactly the unit that I have, minus the nameplate. I believe that it came with a version of Audacity, but I downloaded the most recent version. If the player is plugged into your PC, Audacity will recognize it as a source (at least it did so in my setup).

Tutescrew
1 x
Tutescrew's French Progress
: 30 / 30 Pimsleur French I
: 16 / 30 Pimsleur French II
: 3 / 10 FSI French Phonology

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:17 pm

hedgehog.chess wrote:
Cainntear wrote:

I used the method mentioned by rdearman about half a year ago and it worked like a charm. In fact better than expected, so it's not just a theory.

I did it too and I am a total tech idiot. If I can do it anyone can. Audacity and google should be all you need.
0 x

peterbeischmidt
Yellow Belt

Postby peterbeischmidt » Sun May 06, 2018 2:10 pm

Some years ago I digitized a lot of cassettes and vinyl records and after a fair amount of research I bought an inexpensive used Yamaha tape deck on Ebay and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface. I think the Focusrite is a great choice for this kind of application because it's easy to use, works right away on all major operating systems including Linux and makes high-quality recordings. On the software-side I also used Audacity.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:58 pm

I'm now in the need of converting some old "Modern Tibetan Language" cassettes and find myself looking into how to cheaply do this. Aside from the mic/headphone jack on my Mac, I do have a Tascam Recorder (DR-05) with an external in-line (3.5 mm), in stereo. So I'll probably use that.

I just need to source a cassette player, probably going to go with the ebay or the local pawn shop. Then it's just a simple cable - I need to rummage in my boxes of old cables!

Since this isn't a set-up some has described before, I'll post it up once I have it running. But since, I'm doing this on the cheap, and not in a rush, it might take a little while (and a flea market or two...).
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”