Free MOOCs/SPOCs for Learning Seven Languages on FUN

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
I_likes_languages
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: German (N), English (C2)
Studying: French (C1), Mandarin (A1)
Atrophying: Italian (B1-2), Japanese (B1), Czech (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8281

Re: Free MOOCs/SPOCs for Learning Seven Languages on FUN

Postby I_likes_languages » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:08 pm

Is there any way to access the content of archived courses on FUN? Or is my best option to hope and wait for the next session? All the MOOCs mentioned above are now closed and archived.

If anyone is interested, there are currently 4 French classes open for enrollment (not by INALCO): A1, A2, B1 and an orthography class aimed at natives (probably C1 ish at least?)
0 x
~ Mühsam nährt sich das Eichhhörnchen ~
French: Half SC 20/21 Movies: 0 / 50 Books: 0 / 50
Spanish: Full SC 20/21 Movies: 0 / 100 Books: 0 / 100

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:37 am

I_likes_languages wrote:Is there any way to access the content of archived courses on FUN? Or is my best option to hope and wait for the next session? All the MOOCs mentioned above are now closed and archived...

This won't probably help you but just to clarify the situation as far as I understand it...
I had enrolled in a few MOOCs on FUN in the past but I later unenrolled from them all except for one on tuberculosis (because I forgot about that one). I can still access the contents of that MOOC on tuberculosis under My Courses from the main drop-down menu but not any of the other MOOCs. So, it seems you can only access the archived MOOCs if you had enrolled in them previously and did not unenroll subsequently. Thanks to your post, I realised my mistake in unenrolling from the other MOOCs. Hereafter, I will enrol in every MOOC on FUN I have the slightest interest in and continue the enrollment.
I don't see an option for getting a notification when a new MOOC starts, so you might want to subscribe to their newsletter.
0 x

mokibao
Orange Belt
Languages: Studying: way too many

Postby mokibao » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:06 am

In case people are interested, the new sessions have begun, so if you want to enroll now is the time. Currently Arabic, Chinese and Czech are ongoing but you can still jump in. Arabic includes both MSA and a Levantine dialect. Courses take you to A1. Link to the courses: https://www.fun-mooc.fr/cours/#filter/s ... e=1&rpp=50

I would scrape the course materials and publish them in a more amenable and accessible format but it seems the institute has a stringent copyright policy and I'm not sure I'm allowed to do that. In any case the entire thing is completely free and doesn't require any commitment on your part so if you have the slightest interest there's no practical downside to registering.

Also worth mentioning is that the platform offers valid, credentialed certificates officially endorsed by INALCO for 60€. You will then have to take a remote exam using their monitoring software, just like the Duolingo English test. If you choose not to pay for the certificate, you will instead get an 'attestation' when you complete the course, which has no credential value but still indicates (to you) that you made it to A1, assuming you didn't cheat or something.

Anyway, if INALCO considers Czech as une langue orientale, who am I to say otherwise? :lol:

It's kind of a misnomer, the institute's whole shtick is to teach languages that are otherwise less commonly taught and for which few resources exist, alongside the big, actual 'Oriental' ones. So, like, if you've taken a liking to Ainu or Quechua and have no idea where to start, this is the place you can register at and you will find actual professors in it. There are few places like it.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”