Babbel

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Babbel

Postby Ogrim » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:32 pm

I don't see Babbel mentioned very often on the forum when e-learning methods are being discussed, although I've noticed there are a few members who use it. I am curious to hear about people's experience with it. Google and company certainly know that I am interested in language learning, because wherever I turn I get bombarded with ads from Babbel (on as diverse sites as the Guardian, my Yahoo mail account and El País to name just a few), much more than from any other language learning company, so they must clearly spend a decent amount of money on advertising. Some of the questions I have are:

How far does it take you?
    How does it compare to Duolingo, Memrise, LanguagePod 101 etc?
    What is particular about Babbel as a method compared to other courses?
    Do you feel you get value for money?
5 x
Ich grolle nicht

Speakeasy

Re: Babbel

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:44 pm

Ogrim, thank you for opening a file on this resource. As you noted, there has been no overall review of Babbel on the LLORG. There are a few discussion threads on the HTLAL which, given that Babbel continues to evolve, would be of ever-decreasing relevance. Nevertheless, for those who are interested, here are the links to the most prominent discussion threads:

Babbel vs GermanPod101 – HTLAL – January 2015
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39946&PN=6

Why so little love for Babbel.com? – HTLAL – January 2013
http://www.how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35054&PN=6

Is babbel.com good? – HTLAL – March 2011
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25467&PN=1

Reviews on Babbel? – HTLAL – September 2011
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29495&PN=5

There’s not much point in going any further back in time.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:19 pm

I have the same experience as Ogrim - the ads show up everywhere. Occasionally I watch one of their videos, mostly those where a bunch of people "learn a language" in just one hour/one day/one week. Many videos and articles feature the Youlden twins (Matthew and Michael), but I wonder if the app is a major tool for them. A lot of the languages they speak (and learn) aren't available.

From what I can see, these are the ones you can learn:
German, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Swedish, Turkish, Dutch, Polish, Indonesian, Russian, Danish and Norwegian.

How many here have used the app? How far does it take you?
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:26 pm

I tried it at some point and gave up. I think it is much more of a toy than a real learning tool.
2 x

baskerville
White Belt
Languages: Tagalog (Native), English (C2), Hungarian (B1), Japanese (N2), French (A1), German (A1), Spanish (A1)

Postby baskerville » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:59 am

In a Turkish challenge I saw on Youtube, the Youlden twins used Babbel and some grammar books to learn Turkish in a week.

In my opinion, Babbel is good if you are a complete beginner in a language. I just got myself a 3-month Babbel subscription for German to supplement my once-a-week German classes. Before Babbel, I used Duolingo but it was a bit boring and I didn’t like the robotic German voice in the app :) Now I do 2-3 lessons in Babbel daily and I think it is helping me. I also like the grammar explanations in English. My German class is taught in Hungarian 95% of the time so it takes me a while to process some tricky explanations like the dative. I did the dative lesson on Babbel and finally got it. :D :geek:
1 x
Hungarian Tracker
Glossika Fluency 3: 9 / 104
Gyakorló Magyar Nyelvtan : 23 / 110
Duolingo: 51 / 78
Assimil: 7 / 85

German Tracker
Babbel Beginner 1: 11 / 23

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:35 pm

Just passing through to cross-reference two discussion threads on Babbel …

Babbel each lesson has a well made dialogue. - LLORG - October 2019
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11257
1 x

fbitterlich
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Dutch, Spanish (B1)

Postby fbitterlich » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:38 am

This thread is somewhat "oldish", but I'll drop in my opinion anyway...

I'm using Babbel for several years now, first for Spanish, and later added Dutch. For me, this is so far the most successful way of learning languages. I also attended a Spanish course at a folk high school, and one in a language school. I found that the "offline" courses success wore off very quickly, especially if you don't have the chance to actually use the learned language much.

The problem with Babbel is that the forum they had at one point does not exist any more, so it is hard to get answers if you have a question. But their method is very effective.
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”