Language exchange website: polyglotclub.com

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Language exchange website: polyglotclub.com

Postby DaveBee » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:07 pm

I was listening to a french radio station podcast on language learning the other day. The 'expert' guest was from the 'polyglot club' website.
Whatever your language level or your nationality, our language exchange social network will allow you to practice different languages, online or offline, while you make new friends and discover new cultures.
3 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Re: Language exchange website: polyglotclub.com

Postby Spoonary » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:43 pm

Wow, I remember I used to use Polyglotclub. I have just logged back in and everything looks different now :shock:
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:03 pm

Spoonary wrote:Wow, I remember I used to use Polyglotclub. I have just logged back in and everything looks different now :shock:
What did/do you think of it?
0 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:05 pm

I used it back in the day (maybe 4 or so years ago). The interface wasn't great, and it didn't seem to have a very big user base compared to competitors like Conversation Exchange and iTalki, which is what makes or breaks a language exchange site. I did meet one French person from it once, but otherwise didn't find any contacts. The current site isn't loading for me right now so I can't compare it to the old design.
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:10 pm

DaveBee wrote:What did/do you think of it?

To be honest with you, I don't remember it that well. I only really used to use the chat room, which was multi-language and as such, both dominated by English and quite difficult to follow. I popped my head in there today and it was a ghosttown. :|

They also used to have a virtual classroom where you could join a table and use voice chat and an interactive whiteboard type thing to chat with a group of people. That was fun but I think it was shut down after a while.

From what I saw when I logged on earlier (I can't seem to load the page up again now), everything seems much more money-oriented than I remember, so that's sad.
1 x

wheresmycookie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Adv), Mandarin (HSK2)

Postby wheresmycookie » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:23 pm

DaveBee wrote:I was listening to a french radio station podcast on language learning the other day. The 'expert' guest was from the 'polyglot club' website.
Whatever your language level or your nationality, our language exchange social network will allow you to practice different languages, online or offline, while you make new friends and discover new cultures.

Just checked them out for the first time. Website seems a bit oldschool but it also seems like it has a decent community. Still trying to figure out how it differs in reality from this website. Community also seems maybe a bit less active than here?
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”