Best Hungarian learning materials

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian, Ukrainian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Best Hungarian learning materials

Postby Chung » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:36 am

materials to learn Hungarian.
2 x

Speakeasy

Re: Best Hungarian learning materials?

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:52 am

I have not studied Hungarian and have no intention of ever doing so. Nevertheless, I can recommend that you refer to the "Hungarian Language Profile" that forum member Chung, and others, put a great deal of time into developing.

Hungarian Language Profile
http://www.language-learners.org/language-descriptions/hungarian-language-profile/

FSI and DLI Language Courses
Althought the FSI and DLI courses that are presently available on the Yojik.eu website were published in the 1960's and 1970's are somewhat dated, they do provide a solid introduction to the basics as well as an opportunity to practice sentence-pattern drills. Here is the LINK to website: https://fsi-languages.yojik.eu/

Assimil Hungarian
The Assimil line of home-study courses is highly-regarded and, you're in luck, they have a course in Hungarian from an English base!
http://fr.assimil.com/methodes?base_language=1&learn_language=22&level=

Good luck with your studies!

EDITED:
Typos.
Typos!
Last edited by Speakeasy on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 x

mcthulhu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native); strong reading skills - Russian, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Serbo-Croatian, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Slovene, Farsi; fair reading skills - Polish, Czech, Dutch, Esperanto, Portuguese; beginner/rusty - Swedish, Norwegian, Danish

Postby mcthulhu » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:37 am

I liked Teach Yourself Hungarian, which you can find on Amazon. Goodreads also has some reviews of it at https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/434 ... ete_Course. It's one of the textbooks listed in the language profile that Speakeasy cited.
0 x

mcthulhu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native); strong reading skills - Russian, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Serbo-Croatian, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Slovene, Farsi; fair reading skills - Polish, Czech, Dutch, Esperanto, Portuguese; beginner/rusty - Swedish, Norwegian, Danish

Postby mcthulhu » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:47 am

I was also going to suggest the very nice Hungarian parallel texts at www.farkastranslations.com, but the site seems to be down. I don't know how long this has been the case. Has anyone else noticed this?
2 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Assimil Hungarian
Please forgive my insistance on the Assimil Hungarian course. Member Daristani has just advised us that Schoenhof's is presently offering much of its language-learning materials at a discount of 60%. I took a quick look at their website and they are offering Assimil Hungarian (book + 4 CDs) for the remarkably low price of 32.78 $US. If I were at all interested in learning Hungarian, I would snap up a copy of this course while supplies last! I would add that (not surprisingly) the Amazon.fr customer reviews of "Assimil Le Hongrois" are very positive.

Assimil Hungarian (book + 4 CDs) - Schoenhof's
http://www.schoenhofs.com/Hungarian-with-Ease-with-Audio-CDs_p_40629.html

PS: Merci à Daristani!
2 x

baskerville
White Belt
Languages: Tagalog (Native), English (C2), Hungarian (B1), Japanese (N2), French (A1), German (A1), Spanish (A1)

Postby baskerville » Thu May 31, 2018 3:52 pm

I just checked this site -- awesome! Thank you for sharing! I attempted Alice in Wonderland; unfortunately, it was a bit high for my level.
mcthulhu wrote:I was also going to suggest the very nice Hungarian parallel texts at http://www.farkastranslations.com, but the site seems to be down. I don't know how long this has been the case. Has anyone else noticed this?

I don't go to a Hungarian school, but I used to have a Skype tutor who also used this book. I have all the books from A1 to B1, although admittedly, I am not using them now because the progress is a little slower for me.

I now use Gyakorló Magyar Nyelvtan, which fries my brain a bit at the start. The first 100 or so pages are all about verbs: different tenses, conditional forms, imperative forms, etc. But I like this book because before this, my Hungarian language study has been quite haphazard. I knew how to express things about "me" but not talk about "we" or "you" (third person). My knowledge of verb forms was severely limited. Now, I think it is getting better. :)
0 x
Hungarian Tracker
Glossika Fluency 3: 9 / 104
Gyakorló Magyar Nyelvtan : 23 / 110
Duolingo: 51 / 78
Assimil: 7 / 85

German Tracker
Babbel Beginner 1: 11 / 23

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:27 am

I only learned super-basic tourist-level Hungarian for a 1-week vacation in Budapest, but I'm an incorrigible bibliophile, so of course I picked up some Hungarian learning materials while I was there. I have a post on my log that lists the Hungarian materials I liked. (Major caveat: I haven't done more than a cursory glance through them.)
1 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

BigWayne19
Languages: fluent: french, spanish, english
advanced beginner studying: hungarian

Postby BigWayne19 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:04 pm

------- i can't imagine that nobody is recommending DuoLingo ! it's free and gives you a little test to assign you to your approximate level, and away you go. Level 25 is the highest but there are many, many exercises as sophisticated as you might want: writing translation from hung and into hung , reading hung answers to english questions and vice versa, speaking and dictations etc, etc ! you pay for the free version (which is the same as the pay version ) by accepting ads. if that's bothersome, you can opt out of the ads for $60 (you can take advantage of a teeny-tiny bit of tech support ) but the real support is done by fellow students . . .

ps: it's base is, theoretically, american english but brit and aussie and NZ variations are accepted if you add them . . .
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”