Langfocus Youtube channel

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Langfocus Youtube channel

Postby Ogrim » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:53 pm

I haven't seen this mentioned in the forum before, so I tought I would share it. The last few days I have been watching quite a few videos on a Youtube channel called Langfocus. It's run by a guy called Paul Jorgensen, a Canadian linguist who lives in Japan. In one of his videos he indicates having studied Hebrew, Aramaic, Old English, Arabic, Japanese, Indonesian, French, Tagalog, Esperanto and Italian, and dabbled in quite a few others.

Many of his videos are about specific languages, he explains their origin and history, gives examples of specific grammar and vocabulary features etc. It's not deep stuff or overly academic, but I find they give a nice introduction into the various languages. In other videos he compares languages to each other, e.g. Portuguese and Spanish or Hindi and Urdu. In a few videos he also gives reviews of language learning tools like Memrise, FSI and Duolingo.

I like the guy because he is clearly a language enthusiast who does this for fun and out of interest. He does not try to sell a particular product or learning method as far as I can tell.
11 x
Ich grolle nicht

stelingo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (C1), Portuguese (C1), Italian (B2), German (High B1), Russian (B1), Czech (B1), Dutch (passive B1), Catalan (passive B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A2), Japanese (A2), Modern Standard Arabic (A1), Egyptian Arabic (A1), Turkish (Beginner) Thai (beginner). Korean (Beginner) Dabbled in Swedish, Norwegian, Slovak, Ukrainian, Romanian, Vietnamese

Re: Langfocus Youtube channel

Postby stelingo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:31 pm

I also watch his videos and find them interesting. He is good at picking out the notable features of a particular language.
1 x
Kolik jazyků znáš, tolikrát jsi člověkem.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Langfocus Youtube channel

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:51 pm

I've followed that channel for quite some time now, and the videos are often entertaining and informative. However, the original video about Scandinavian languages wasn't that good (really bad example of Swedish), the updated one at least had a native speaker (but with exaggerated pronunciation). I also think that the original Norwegian wasn't spoken by a native.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”