Akkadian - Can anyone recommend books?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Akkadian - Can anyone recommend books?

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:31 am

I'm looking for a book recommendation for learning or on the grammar of Akkadian or Akkadien (in French). This is for my daughter - her preferred L1 is French but at this point - any good recommendation on what the best books out there are would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance. ;)
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Speakeasy

Re: Akkadian - Can anyone recommend books?

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:41 pm

Is it possible that you are referring to "Acadians/Acadiens"?

Acadians - Wikipeda
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadians

Acadiens - Wikipeda
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadiens

Is Quebec French different from Acadian French? - Quora
https://www.quora.com/Is-Quebec-French-different-from-Acadian-French

If I'm completely "à côté de la track", please excuse my question, I wasn't trying to be impertinent.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Speakeasy wrote:Is it possible that you are referring to "Acadians/Acadiens"?

I'm guessing he means the Akkadian language.

There's a pretty nice overview on French Wikipedia, which I'm sure zenmonkey is aware of. This links to a bunch of courses and reference works by Florence Malbran-Labat, but also this beginner course, which has a couple of positive reviews on Amazon.fr.

Ancient language courses in French are a bit of minefield. For Middle Egyptian, I've seen everything from excellent beginner courses, to weirdly popular third-rate courses, to outright crankery (much of which is published by Maison de Vie). I can't imagine that Akkadian resources will be much easier to sort through. Proceed with caution and be prepared to buy several books. :-)

Also, Akkadboy on HTLAL was a French speaker, I believe, with a wealth of resources. I'm not sure how easy it would be to track him down, though.
2 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:09 pm

emk wrote: ...I'm guessing he means the Akkadian language.
Thank you for the clarification. Before responding to Zenmonkey's post, I googled "Akkadian" and, not at all being familiar with the subject, read the Wikipedia article. Fascinating! The reference to French in the post led me to think that there might exist a new spelling of "Acadian" that I was not yet aware of, hence my question. 'Time for my nap!
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Speakeasy wrote:
emk wrote: ...I'm guessing he means the Akkadian language.
Thank you for the clarification. Before responding to Zenmonkey's post, I googled "Akkadian" and, not at all being familiar with the subject, read the Wikipedia article. Fascinating! The reference to French in the post led me to think that there might exist a new spelling of "Acadian" that I was not yet aware of, hence my question. 'Time for my nap!

I'm glad you asked.

Yes, I meant the ancient language Akkadian - my daughter is an anthropologist / archeologist and now working on her Masters. She's interested in this language as a source for her research. It's a dead as a doorknob language but not too far from Assyrian (for which I have some good sources). But she asked me for a grammar for Akkadian and I know some people studied it here... see next post.

It is a bit confusing because I mentioned French. It is just that my daughters' L1 is French and she prefers to study grammar in that language because often the English terminology is confusing for her.
Last edited by zenmonkey on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:35 pm

emk wrote:
Speakeasy wrote:Is it possible that you are referring to "Acadians/Acadiens"?

I'm guessing he means the Akkadian language.

There's a pretty nice overview on French Wikipedia, which I'm sure zenmonkey is aware of. This links to a bunch of courses and reference works by Florence Malbran-Labat, but also this beginner course, which has a couple of positive reviews on Amazon.fr.

Ancient language courses in French are a bit of minefield. For Middle Egyptian, I've seen everything from excellent beginner courses, to weirdly popular third-rate courses, to outright crankery (much of which is published by Maison de Vie). I can't imagine that Akkadian resources will be much easier to sort through. Proceed with caution and be prepared to buy several books. :-)

Also, Akkadboy on HTLAL was a French speaker, I believe, with a wealth of resources. I'm not sure how easy it would be to track him down, though.

Exactly - this is the problem with a lot of the material published which is of mediocre quality or outright reprint of a Wikipedia article or worse. Thanks for those links and for reminding me of Akkaboy - I think I saw his name mentioned before. I'll see what I can find.

I think the Petite Grammaire is out of print - time to go dig over at Abebooks and alibris ...
Maybe the BnF in Paris has a copy and my ex can request it.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”