Basic Russian and Simplified Russian Grammar by Mischa H Fayer

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Basic Russian and Simplified Russian Grammar by Mischa H Fayer

Postby aravinda » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:09 am

I have recently come across a Russian course from the 1950s named Basic Russsian by Mischa H Fayer. It consists of two student's books and the Book Two seems to be still in print. The later editions/printings are from McGraw-Hill but previously it had been published by Pitman Publishing Corporation and NTC/Contemporary Publishing Company. Apparently, the course had other components, including audio recordings, at least one workbook and one Teacher's Book and/or a "Manual for Basic Russian". It seems that there was a "Simplified Russian Grammar" by the same authour but I am not sure whether it was part of the course. In some product descriptions, the course was identified as an audio-lingual method.
I was intrigued by the course though at present I have no intention of using it for my own studies. However, I was not able to find many details about the course or locate all the components of it. The reviews on Amazon are generally positive.
If anyone has used it, I would like to hear about their experience with the course. Also, does anybody know what are/were the components of the course?
Edited to add Simplified Russian Grammar to the post title.
Last edited by aravinda on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Speakeasy

Re: Basic Russian by Mischa H Fayer

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:04 pm

I became aware of Mischa H. Fayer’s series of Russian courses in a rather round-about way. A few months ago, while searching eBay for vintage language courses having LP vinyl records, I came across the LP record album sets for “Basic Russian” and “Russian Grammar Simplified” and, through additional searches, located the corresponding textbooks on the usual online sellers’ websites. After humming-and-hawing for a couple of months, I finally placed my order. I suspect that, while the grammar textbook was conceived to provide additional support to the basic materials, it was likely offered as part of a separate, ancillary course.

I, too, was impressed by the positive reviews of these materials on Amazon. I initially hesitated before ordering the LP vinyl records and textbooks. Having accumulated so many vintage language-learning materials, I had fallen under the temporary illusion of having reached a point of saturation. Fortunately, the feeling was of short duration and I forged ahead.

Although I have not yet received the materials, I would estimate that the two x 33-1/3 rpm LP vinyl record sets would contain approximately 1-1/2 hours of recordings each, representing the duration of typical Student Practice Record Sets for the period. That is, they will be extracts of the total set of audio recordings that would have been prepared for use by the course instructor in the classroom or by the students in the language laboratories of their educational institutions.

Upon receipt of the materials, I will comment further on the course descriptions. I will be digitizing my set of the audio recordings.
1 x

aravinda
Green Belt

Postby aravinda » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 am

Thank you, Speakeasy. Do you know what were the other components? I have seen a Teacher's Guide for Book Two (but none for Book One), a Workbook for Book One and a "Manual for Basic Russian" (No idea what it was). Anything else?
Looking forward to your update.
EDIT:
Finally, I found all the components:
http://www.lmp.ucla.edu/Search.aspx?MatID=0&LangID=45
They are given at the end of the abstracts.
EDIT2: For some reason, all my links lead to the same Russian resources page, not to the specific pages for the titles. Therefore I have kept only one link. Please go to the specific title by clicking on View or the Title name for details.
Last edited by aravinda on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:51 pm

aravinda wrote: ... Finally, I found all the components ... They are given at the end of the abstracts.
Merci, beaucoup! This is much more complete than the list that I was slowly compiling, manually, by searching the websites of the large online booksellers.
1 x

aravinda
Green Belt

Re: Basic Russian and Simplified Russian Grammar by Mischa H Fayer

Postby aravinda » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:08 am

Here’s an update on these methods I have been planning to do for some time. As far as I can tell, both Basic Russian (Book One & Book Two) and Simplified Russian Grammar had been used in various educational institutes in the US as fully-fledged language courses that included a number of components. As I noted above, thanks to the website of the UCLA Language Materials Project, I was able to find what were these components. Apparently, the website provides ISBNs of the latest editions of the components as published by NTC Publishing. It seems several previous editions did not have ISBNs and the subsequent take over of NTC Publishing by Tribune Co., Chicago, and merging it with Contemporary Publishing or later take over of NTC/Contemporary by NTC/Contemporary by McGraw-Hill Publications had not changed these components (in any way?). I am not sure about the current status of MCGRAW-HILL Education (MHE). According to MHE website, Basic Russian Book Two is still in print though it is mentioned as going out print.
IMG_2765.jpg

Following details are from the UCLA Language Materials Project.(ISBN-13 and Notes are added by me)

Basic Russian: Book One (1994)
0844242004, 9780844242002
Part one of an introductory Russian course. Begins with some foreword material. Presents instruction in twenty-eight units grouped into five sections, each of which concludes with a review unit. Begins each unit with readings accompanied by glossaries. Follows these with discussions of various grammar phenomena and a variety of exercises. The appendix includes everyday expressions, reading selections, proverbs, riddles, songs, pronunciation charts, grammar tables, vocabulary and abbreviation lists, and an index. The Workbook contains a variety of additional exercises including grammar exercises, communicative exercises and translation exercises. Audiotapes provide recordings of dialogues and readings from the textbook. Separately available instructor materials include a Teacher's Guide consisting of an introduction, translations of unit texts, and answers to textbook exercises, and a test packet. ISBN numbers for supplemental materials are:
Workbook 0-8442-4201-2, 9780844242019
Audio Tapes 0-8442-4204-7, 9780844242040
Teacher's Guide 0-8442-4203-9, 9780844242033
Tests 0-8442-4202-0, 9780844242026
Notes: According to the Preface “Basic Russian combines the audiolingual approach with a traditional approach…” I only own the textbook. I am not very keen on obtaining the Workbook or the Tests. The Workbook seems to available from online sellers but the textbook itself has enough exercises. On the other hand, I would like to have the Audio Tapes and the Teacher’s Guide (See Notes to Book Two below). The textbook is a nicely produced hardback of 332 pages and 28 units. The edition I have is a reprint of 1994 but it seems a second edition was printed in the same year which was coauthored with Spencer Roberts. It has the words “Including audio-lingual materials” on the title page which is absent from my copy. I am not sure the recordings that were available on eBay covered both volumes or not.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FAYER-PRESS ... 1438.l2649
s-l1600-2.jpg

The updates to Basic Russian:Book Two & Simplified Russian Grammar will follow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by aravinda on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

aravinda
Green Belt

Postby aravinda » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:17 am

Basic Russian: Book Two (1992)
0844242144, 9780844242149
Part two of an introductory Russian course. Begins with some foreword material. Presents instruction in thirty units grouped into five sections, each of which concludes with a review unit. Begins each unit with readings accompanied by glossaries. Follows these with discussions of various grammar phenomena and a variety of exercises. Appendix includes pronunciation charts, grammar tables, vocabulary and abbreviation lists, and an index. Audio tapes provide recordings of dialogues and readings from the textbook. Separately available Teacher's Guide consists of translations of unit texts and answers to textbook exercises. ISBN numbers for supplemental materials are:
Audio Tapes 0-8442-4218-7, 9780844242187
Teacher's Guide 0-8442-4217-9, 9780844242170
IMG_2763.jpg

Notes: I am still looking for a copy of this textbook at a reasonable price. As I said this is still in print. Also, I was lucky to get hold of a copy of the Teacher’s Guide. This Teacher’s Guide is actually a 50-page booklet containing the answers for all the exercises and translations of all the Russian reading selections. Pretty useful to have. Assuming the Teacher’s Guide for Book One is similar, I have been trying to locate a copy without success. However, if anyone is interested in having the Teacher’s Guide to Book Two, it is (was) available from the following site.
http://insegna.com/product/basic-russia ... a-h-fayer/
I don’t know whether they ship to overseas but they charged me 15$(AU) for postage when the actual cost was about 2$(AU)! Otherwise, they are okay.
IMG_2764.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by aravinda on Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

aravinda
Green Belt

Postby aravinda » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:21 am

Simplified Russian Grammar (1985)
0844242314, 9780844242316
An introductory grammar-oriented course in Russian. Begins with foreword material including a list of abbreviations. Begins instruction with an introductory lesson in the Russian alphabet, both printed and written. Continues with forty one lessons, grouped into six sections. Ends each section with a review lesson. Structures lessons in various ways, typically starting with a reading and vocabulary list with lexical notes and following this with sections on various grammar phenomena encountered in the text. Follows these with a variety of exercises. Concludes with supplementary material including readings in popular science, songs, pronunciation charts, grammar tables, two-way vocabulary lists, and an index. Audiotapes contain recordings of dialogs and texts in the textbook. Workbook contains exercises focusing on vocabulary recall, translation, and grammar completion. Instructor materials available separately including an answer key containing answers to textbook exercises and a set of tests. ISBN numbers for supplemental materials are:
Workbook 0-8442-4323-2 *(incorrect?)
0844242322 /9780844242323
Audio Cassettes 0-8442-4235-7, 9780844242354
Answer Key 0-8442-4234-9, 9780844242347
Tests 0-8442-4236-5, 9780844242361

Notes: This is 483 page hardback with 41 units, is not a grammar in the modern sense but a textbook with exercises etc. Nicely done. I only own the textbook. according to the Preface “[a]bout 1000 basic words have been selected for use…” and “in creating this book the author has adopted the principle that all rules relating to a topic be presented together.”

I will appreciate any help in locating the Teacher's Guide to Basic Russian: Book One[/i] and the Answer Key to Simplified Russian Grammar.
s-l1600.jpg

Edit: Added the image of audio records.
Last edited by aravinda on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:51 am

LP Recordings: Basic Russian / Simplified Russian Grammar
Aravinda, once again, thank you very much for your informative posts. You might recall from our private conversations that I purchased the double LP vinyl record sets that were produced by Monitor Records to supplement the above-named course books.

Both LP record sets include an 8-1/2 inch x 11 inch bilingual pamphlet (Russian-English) of the recorded materials. The “Basic Russian” LP recordings cover materials drawn from Units 1 through 27 of the corresponding textbook. The “Simplified Russian Grammar” LP recordings from Lessons 1 through 40. Please refer to the appended images.

Total duration of the recordings would be approximately 1-1/2 hours per record set. Although the audio-lingual method is mentioned in these series, these particular recordings are not at all the customary sentence-pattern drills associated with the method and, in any event, at only 1-1/2 hours per record set, they would represent only a small fraction of the habitual 50+ hours of recordings that one would expect. The recorded materials are, in the initial stages, pronunciation exercises and, subsequently, brief extracts taken from the corresponding textbooks (readings or model sentences).

Voices on the recordings are of one female and one or two males. The initial tracks are spoken slowly, with pauses. About half-way through the recordings, the pace increases and, near the end, depending on the type of exercise, approaches the speed of ordinary narration or conversation. Instructions for use include the suggestion that students record their own voices with a tape recorder compare the results to the voices on the records.

At some point in the future, hopefully next year, I will digitize these materials and, at that time, I will communicate privately with you.

All My Trials ...
Whilst trying to find a copy of the textbooks matching the LP records and their accompanying pamphlets, I encountered the same problem that I did during my searches for the Nina Potapova’s LP records/textbooks. That is, I found that the listings on the online booksellers’ websites are not completely reliable. The two books that I received did not match the booksellers’ descriptions and, of course, they refused to recognize their responsibilities in the matter.

Library Expansion Project
I have discovered a simple means of expanding the space in my basement library. I punched a hole through the outer basement wall, started digging, shoring up the roof and walls, laying tiles, et cetera, and then turned 90 degrees to the right. Having filed a claim for the mineral rights beforehand, I am presently digging under my neighbour’s patio. Eventually, I will have to leave my current residence and, at the time, I will offer to sell the patio portion of my library to my neighbour as a wine cellar.

EDITED:
Re-paragraphing.
Images.

Extracts from the pamphlets accompanying the LP vinyl record sets.
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:04 pm

Basic Russian, Book One, Teacher’s Guide, by Mischa H. Fayer

Earlier today, whilst attending to other matters, I had the opportunity of visiting Montréal’s only bookstore specializing in language-learning materials and, by sheer coincidence, I came across a copy of “Basic Russian, Book One, Teacher’s Guide” by Mischa H. Fayer. It was almost hidden amongst the other materials, I recognized the title, and bought it without hesitation.

This copy of the teacher’s guide was published by NTC, National Textbook Company, for which the NTC series number was 4203-9. The inside cover of this 37-page booklet has the following inscription: 1989 Printing, Copyright 1985, 1977 by the National Textbook Company. The guide offers suggestions on the teaching of Russian and it includes an Answer Key to the readings, exercises, and translations presented in "Basic Russian, Book One" (the edition is not specified).

Basic Russian, Book One, Teacher’s Guide, by Mischa H. Fayer
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”