Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Irish courses with lots of audio

Postby sfuqua » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:21 am

I think that I have seen an answer to this already, but I can't find it by searching.

I know that Assimil doesn't make a "Irish with Ease" book.

It looks like glossika Fluency 123 courses are not happening either.

Does anybody make a good Irish course with a lot of audio?
Last edited by sfuqua on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Re: Assimil Irish

Postby Xmmm » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:58 am

sfuqua wrote:I think that I have seen an answer to this already, but I can't find it by searching.

I know that Assimil doesn't make a "Irish with Ease" book.

It looks like glossika Fluency 123 courses are not happening either.

Does anybody make a good Irish course with a lot of audio?

I vote for Buntús Cainte. I don't know about "a lot of audio" but there's a large number of short dialogues. I don't have the cds ripped so as to measure precisely but I guess across 3 books there must be at least two hours of Irish audio.

If I were going try to learn Irish again, I would start with "Ari's Chinesepod Method" with those dialogues. They are entertaining (better than Assimil Russian, for sure), and the cartoons are a crack-up.
3 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Speakeasy

Re: Assimil Irish

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:30 am

As neither Assimil Irish nor Glossika Irish exist, I wonder if you would consider revising the title of this discussion thread to something that would better evoke your question. Something akin to "Resources for Learning Irish (with lots of audio)?" or some similar formulation might draw more answers. In the meantime, while I have never studied Irish and have no plans of ever doing so, I will mention the following:

ILF - Irish Language Forum
Perhaps a search of this forum will provide some tips. If not, you could post your question there, as well.
http://www.irishlanguageforum.com/viewforum.php?f=28

Language Profile -- Irish - A Language Learners' Forum
In the event that you were not already aware of the proposed Irish Profile, here is the link:
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4946

A list of resources for learning Irish - HTLAL, February, 2011
Although this list is getting progressively longer in the tooth, it still contains a wealth of information and it represents a good point of departure.
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25204

Linguaphone Irish Gaelic (Cursa Gaeilga)
A brief, but interesting, mention of this course can be found in the HTLAL discussion thread above. As far as I understand, this course came with four audio cassettes. While it is out-of-print, copies can still be located on the internet.

Living Language Spoken World Irish
As you are probably aware, the Living Language Spoken World series was modeled after the Living Language Ultimate (Beginners to Intermediate) series. I have several courses in both series and, while they can be a little dry, they get the job done up to the CEFR A2+ level. The basic approach involves the presentation of situational dialogues, accompanied by concise yet clear presentations of grammar, a paragraph as a reading exercises, plus a few additional exercises. The audio recordings are furnished in six (6) CDs. Be careful about placing your order as the course book and the audio CDs are often sold separately.

Learn Irish Gaelic
They promise the world ... put them to the test!
https://www.learnirishgaelic.com/

That's it, I'm done here!
3 x

Seneca
Green Belt
Languages: English (N); 日本語 (beginner)

Re: Irish courses with lots of audio

Postby Seneca » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:08 pm

In my, "acquire interesting courses for languages I have no interest in actually learning" phase, I picked up the Linguaphone Irish course. Just put an alert on ebay. I didn't wait long for mine.

48 Lessons
4 cassettes of audio
It looks to have about 1500 words

Let me know if you have any questions about it! But I think it'd be right up your alley.
0 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:36 pm

Concerning Irish, the question should be: "Are there any good courses out there, and if so do they also have good audio?"

Unfortunately, when it comes to Irish, the approach either seems to be an outdated grammar-translation method (Ó Siadhail's Learning Irish) or a phrasebook-like no-grammar-at-all method (Colloquial Irish, Gaeilge gan Stró), non of which really suits my preferred way of studying.

Also, the audio is either in full-speed native dialect (Learning Irish), has a heavily anglicized accent (Colloquial Irish, Gaeilge gan Stró), or - worst of all - is read from a more or less phonetic transcription by people who obviously don't understand a word of Irish (Living Language) ("deeah gwitch", anyone?).

If you know German, get Britta Schulze-Thulin's Irisch für Anfänger. That's your best choice! Otherwise, Buntús Cainte, Gaeilge gan Stró, or Colloquial Irish will also do the trick, but don't expect to learn a lot of grammar there. After that, you can still go through Learning Irish or the 1960's Teach Yourself course, which is available as a PDF on the Internet. Those two will teach you all the grammar you might ever need...

EDIT: I forgot. The modern Teach Yourself course is quite good as well. It teaches more grammar than Colloquial or the others do, but not as much as Learning Irish. It does come with audio, but not a lot...
2 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:21 pm

Actually I like Gaeilge gan Stró (although it's been a while since I leafed through the books). The audio may be anglicized (but sounds Irish enough to my ears), it's from different parts of the country (especially the Talking Heads section feature speakers from many parts of the country), it's not boringly slow... I think Linguaphone Cúrsa Gaeilge had more of a theatrical narrative style (and supposedly "artifical" pronunciation).
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:52 am

Yeah, well, I didn't mean to say Gaeilge gan Stró was a bad resource. In fact, it might be quite good as a very first introduction to Irish. It just didn't suit my way of studying. Too often, the grammar explanations were along the lines of "Don't worry, you don't have to understand that, it's not important", even for things like the future tense! I rather like lucid grammar explanations, so I can make my own sentences instead of having to copy one-to-one what's being taught in the textbook.

The audio is okay. I just hate Irish with an English /r/, although that's what you hear everywhere in Ireland nowadays.
0 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:54 pm

I'm also a big fan of Buntús Cainte.
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”