Assimil "New Words" list

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
RF3
Languages: English (N)

Assimil "New Words" list

Postby RF3 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:06 pm

I have noticed in some newer versions of Assimil Courses (l'arabe, l'egyptien, le grec ancien) that there is a list of new words in every lesson after the dialogue and before the exercises. Has Assimil started doing this with all of their newly released versions like the new Allemand, Chinois, Italien, etc.?
0 x

neumanc
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: German (native), English, Dutch
Studies: French (advanced), Spanish (false beginner)
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Latin

Re: Assimil "New Words" list

Postby neumanc » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:39 am

Hello RF3 and welcome to the forum! I have seen such a list of new vocab in the reissued Assimil "Le Latin" course from Dessard (2015). I haven't done the course (yet), but looking through it, I had the impression that only the vocabulary that hasn't been introduced in the lesson(s) before the translation exercise is included in the vocabulary lists. One should expect that the exercises only contain already known vocabulary, so that you can test yourself and use what you have learned before. However, this is not always the case with Assimil. I believe that this was the reason Assimil decided to have these vocabulary lists. In the new old Latin course, these lists are relatively long, especially in the later lessons. I myself don't consider this especially necessary or useful. If the exercises contain so many new vocabulary items, they aren't really "exercises", at least not good ones. What they essentially are (at least in many of the older courses as the Latin course, which originally dates back to 1966) is just another part of the lesson itself. In the older Assimil courses, the "exercises" are often dialogs or stories as are the lessons. This holds true for the Latin course, but also for the 1st generation French course from 1940 (French without toil), for example. I don't mind this, to the contrary. I think this enriches the courses much more than the more or less useless exercises of most of the 3rd generation courses (from 2000 onwards), whose exercises consist of some unrelated sentences which are nearly, and sometimes exactly, the same as those used in the lesson text. Because of this, I would be surprised if Assimil would include such lists in all of their new editions. What they should do, at least in my view, is including such a list at the end of each lesson listing all the new vocabulary used in the lesson. This would facilitate vocabulary acquisition.
4 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:40 am

RF3 wrote:I have noticed in some newer versions of Assimil Courses (l'arabe, l'egyptien, le grec ancien) that there is a list of new words in every lesson after the dialogue and before the exercises. Has Assimil started doing this with all of their newly released versions like the new Allemand, Chinois, Italien, etc.?

I checked the new versions of Français, Allemand and Russe, they don't have such lists. There are Notes some of which actually explain the new vocabulary but they are not new word lists per se.
1 x

ilmari
Orange Belt
Languages: Fluent - French (N), English, Hebrew, Japanese.
Intermediate - Korean, Finnish, Spanish, Russian.
Studying (now) - Russian, Spanish
Dabbling - Italian, Polish, Yiddish, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Urdu, Indonesian, Māori, Latin, Esperanto, Swahili
Would love to study - Norwegian, Swedish, Ancient Greek, and so many more.

Postby ilmari » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:02 am

A "mots nouveaux" (new words) section is a standard feature of their e-methods, but not of all the books.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

RF3
Languages: English (N)

Postby RF3 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:26 pm

Thanks to all for the replies!
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”