Finaly! I found it.

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
MiaLaGagoo
Languages: English (B2), French (N)

Finaly! I found it.

Postby MiaLaGagoo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:56 pm

I tested tonnes of sites, Apps, ... I usually find the start a discussion button. Here, I was a bit lost and tuned around. Why not put a large colored button to help create new topics.

I would like to have you opinion. Do you think we can really get better in English with Apps.

Here are the selected Apps I tested:
1 ) Speaky.com >> site + App --> It like the concept because I can directly speak with people but I'm a bit shy, so I don't use it to much. I often hesitate to contact someone. FYI, I also get harassed by males looking for dates.

2 ) Hello Talk >> App only -> The concept is a bit similar to the previous one. I think it is more adapted to asiatic languages. I miss a web version to practice at work.

3 ) Talkalang.com >> site + App --> very different, people gather with public discussion. I also like the concept because here feel more confident. I'm glad their upgrated their App with notifications. The bad point is that it's quite new and only English, French and Spanish are proposed.

Do you have other good sites or Apps to share to only practice ? No tutor, nor teacher sites. Only FREE sites
3 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Finaly! I found it.

Postby iguanamon » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:41 pm

MiaLaGagoo wrote:...I would like to have you opinion. Do you think we can really get better in English with Apps.

First, welcome to the forum! As to your question, yes you can get better at English (or any language) with conversation apps. Many people here use them. I am lucky that I have native-speaker friends available for my conversation practice.
Sadly, as a young woman, you are bound to receive unwanted attention and that's not good. There are ways around this, create a profile without a photo; lie about your age to make yourself in your 50's; only speak to other women; etc. I wouldn't want to have to do that, though. For me, I find it better to make friends first, either online or in-person, with a native-speaker. Then, the conversation isn't awkward or clumsy, it's two friends talking.

Here on the forum, there are plenty of people who are serious about learning French and would welcome a conversation exchange with a native French-speaker. I suggest that you visit the French Study Group here on the forum and you will find many native English-speakers learning your language. A good conversation partner, combined with grammar studies is a good way to improve any language. Here on the forum, we don't have a thread for people seeking language-exchanges. Most people here are serious about language-learning which is why I recommend that you look at French learners here who may be interested in conversation practice. Of course, that means you will have to help them with their French. Just ask... you may find someone to speak/email with right here.
11 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:04 pm

I agree with iguanamon that you'll find a lot of people here who'd be very happy to do language exchanges with you (me being one of them). However, when searching for people to speak to when I was learning Italian I found the best way was not an "app" but rather websites where people are looking for penpals. So there are a number of these:

http://www.penpalworld.com/
https://www.globalpenfriends.com/
https://www.mylanguageexchange.com/Penpals.asp
https://www.language-exchanges.org/

Some of these charge membership fees, some are free. But I found at least 4 people I could write to on a regular basis via email and we also arranged Skype calls, etc. One of the people I met has become a great friend and I have visited her in Rome and her and her family visited me in the UK. So finding having some place which allows you to make a friend is a better method. I have to say that my experience with Apps such as HelloTalk has been very poor and I haven't managed any extended conversations with anyone. In fact I don't think I have had any conversation last more than a few days using these apps.

Women also get a hard time with these apps, whereas some of the penal sites don't show gender, which means you really do pick people based on their language or location.
6 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

siwars
Languages: Spanish(N) English (Beginner)

Postby siwars » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:41 pm

in my experience I think one must have intermediate level as a minimum.

I use google hangout groups

free4talk.com

and a messaging program

paltalk.com
0 x

MiaLaGagoo

Postby MiaLaGagoo » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:23 am

I tested penpalwolrd but don't any people interested in languages. I also tested other penpal_something and found that all these site try to switch to dating. I closed all of my penpal accounts. I also test mylanguageexchange but I had a bad feeling. I was not enthusiastic at following with it.
A other point, I'm quite young, I don't like old stylish sites. I prefer a modern App or a very stylish site.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:27 am

Tandem is an app for language exchange. You can limit who can see your profile to only female if you have trouble with men wanting dates.
3 x

MiaLaGagoo

Postby MiaLaGagoo » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:37 am

Right, there is tandem. I don't remember why I stopped with this one.
I was not aware that only women can decide if people can see or not. I know English speaking friends who have been harassed by members because they don't reply or because they don't correct them.
I don't like private exchange. I prefer to have public exchange to let every members see what other members write. Members automatically moderate their writing. That what I found great with Talkalang. Here I think it is the same, everything is public, right? I will never receive any private messages.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:45 am

MiaLaGagoo wrote:Right, there is tandem. I don't remember why I stopped with this one.
I was not aware that only women can decide if people can see or not. I know English speaking friends who have been harassed by members because they don't reply or because they don't correct them.
I don't like private exchange. I prefer to have public exchange to let every members see what other members write. Members automatically moderate their writing. That what I found great with Talkalang. Here I think it is the same, everything is public, right? I will never receive any private messages.

You can receive private message here. But if someone is harassing you, report it to a moderator or admin. So although it could happen we haven't to my knowledge ever had a report of it. And that behaviour would get someone banned.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:06 am

On iTalki you can post public notebooks seen by everyone.
1 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

MiaLaGagoo

Postby MiaLaGagoo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:06 am

Well, Italki has totally changed. It was good until they wanted to only make money. Now it's more a market place. I totally left their platform and stop to speak about them. I believe they will remove the community features one day. I turn that page. Also, even in the past I was receiving fake exchanges from teachers and tutors in order to convince me to take courses.
3 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”