crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Re: Glossika Product Updates

Postby crush » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:32 pm

Random Review wrote:Hmmm.... Glossika, ChinesePod or being able to buy 3 or 4 new books to read per month for my Kindle over the period?

Heh, not to mention in China for $30 a month you can get way more than 3/4 books a month. I like the idea behind it, i think it's missing something in the implementation, a bit more crafting to tailor to the grammar and vocabulary of individual languages, but i also appreciate Mike's attraction to smaller languages. For now, i'll just sit on the sidelines and wait.
1 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Postby mentecuerpo » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:08 pm

Heh, not to mention in China for $30 a month you can get way more than 3/4 books a month.

Nobody needs Glossika to learn a language; it is just another tool. There is a lot of free content that is very useful. If you pay an internet connection in China, you will probably open a whole world of language content. I would probably spend $30 to get an internet connection in China than an online subscription to a language method. However, I see Chinese tourists everywhere I go, and those guys could probably easily afford an online language subscription. It is all relative.

When I was living and working in El Salvador, sometimes I did not have enough money to buy food.
There was no way I would have money to purchase language books or online language subscriptions.
I think it is relative; you do what you can with the resources you have.

Is it overpriced? How much would you use it if you decide to pay for the subscription?

Fortunately for me, I can now afford to pay a Glossika subscription, but it would be nice to have it bought it with a discount on a black Friday deal.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:36 pm

mentecuerpo wrote:
Heh, not to mention in China for $30 a month you can get way more than 3/4 books a month.

Nobody needs Glossika to learn a language; it is just another tool. There is a lot of free content that is very useful. If you pay an internet connection in China, you will probably open a whole world of language content. I would probably spend $30 to get an internet connection in China than an online subscription to a language method. However, I see Chinese tourists everywhere I go, and those guys could probably easily afford an online language subscription. It is all relative.

When I was living and working in El Salvador, sometimes I did not have enough money to buy food.
There was no way I would have money to purchase language books or online language subscriptions.

Is it overpriced? How much would you use it if you decide to pay for the subscription?

Fortunately for me, I can now afford to pay a Glossika subscription, but it would be nice to have it bought it with a discount on a black Friday deal.

They have a 47% off Black Friday deal now and until December 2. Use the code HAPPYFRIDAY19. If you already have a subscription, it just gets applied to whenever you subscription renews. You don’t get charged now.
2 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt

Postby mentecuerpo » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:02 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:They have a 47% off Black Friday deal now and until December 2. Use the code HAPPYFRIDAY19. If you already have a subscription, it just gets applied to whenever you subscription renews. You don’t get charged now.

I got it! Thanks for pointing it out.
"A 47% discount has been applied to your next billing date: 2020/06/22"
0 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:17 am

Hmmn...
My strange hatred of "new glossika" continues. I think that the old mp3's and pdf's model was useful. I guess it was too vulnerable to piracy.

I have discovered something which is quite similar to old glossika. Buy one of the new Assimil texts with the CDs with the vast number of one sentence mp3 files which are divided into lessons in directories. You still have to uses the book to learn the meanings of the sentences, but once you know know the meanings you can drill for fluency by putting the sets of files into playlists and hit shuffle. This leads you to drill the sentences in scrambled order, avoiding the old patterns that limit the effectiveness of shadowing, and which give you the multiple repetitions that make many of the more effective high beginner/low intermediate methods work.

Assimil, bought legally, is expensive too, but compared to the new glossika price model, it's inexpensive. Once you buy it you own it.
I guess new glossika is useful for some people, but I can't stand the whole superior, guru/nanny attitude of the founder. I like to roll my own. Sometimes it falls apart, but rolling it is half the fun :D

I hope they make the old courses available somewhere sometime.
7 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Postby Random Review » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:59 pm

mentecuerpo wrote:

I get what you are saying. FWIW even in the UK there have also been periods of my life (thankfully all pre-2006, when I was young) where I have had to go several days without eating due to lack of money and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. It would be laughable of me to make out that fewer people being able to acces Glossika was some terrible tragedy or that Mike Campbell has some kind of social obligation.

I just think it's a pity. For obvious reasons I see wider access to quality educational resources as a good thing and it's sad to see a good method become somewhat less accessible.

I know there were plenty who couldn't afford it before and enough who can still afford it now to make it a viable model for him. I also know he was within his rights.
0 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt

Postby mentecuerpo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:36 pm

sfuqua wrote:I have discovered something which is quite similar to old glossika. Buy one of the new Assimil texts with the CDs with the vast number of one sentence mp3 files which are divided into lessons in directories. You still have to uses the book to learn the meanings of the sentences, but once you know know the meanings you can drill for fluency by putting the sets of files into playlists and hit shuffle. This leads you to drill the sentences in scrambled order, avoiding the old patterns that limit the effectiveness of shadowing, and which give you the multiple repetitions that make many of the more effective high beginner/low intermediate methods work.

I agree, there are many alternatives, that can be used for the same purpose.
I have this one for German language as an example.

Langenscheidt Grundwortschatz Deutsch als Fremdsprache, Niveau A1-A2

It has eight hours of audio with 116 MP3 files. It has 4000 words, phrases and sample sentences arranged by topic. You can shuffle the MP3s with your player. The short phrases with the English first and German second. The speech of the audio is at normal natural speech rate. The quality of the recording is excellent. The book is handy and easy to follow, nice colors of text, German blue, English black fonts.
The book costs $15.6 at Amazon USA, and it has the audio download link on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Langenscheidt-Gr ... 178&sr=8-1
1 x

willcouchman
White Belt
Languages: Korean (Beginner), French (B1), Hindi (Beginner), Arabic (A1).

Postby willcouchman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:15 pm

sfuqua wrote:Hmmn...
My strange hatred of "new glossika" continues. I think that the old mp3's and pdf's model was useful. I guess it was too vulnerable to piracy.

I have discovered something which is quite similar to old glossika. Buy one of the new Assimil texts with the CDs with the vast number of one sentence mp3 files which are divided into lessons in directories. You still have to uses the book to learn the meanings of the sentences, but once you know know the meanings you can drill for fluency by putting the sets of files into playlists and hit shuffle. This leads you to drill the sentences in scrambled order, avoiding the old patterns that limit the effectiveness of shadowing, and which give you the multiple repetitions that make many of the more effective high beginner/low intermediate methods work.

Assimil, bought legally, is expensive too, but compared to the new glossika price model, it's inexpensive. Once you buy it you own it.
I guess new glossika is useful for some people, but I can't stand the whole superior, guru/nanny attitude of the founder. I like to roll my own. Sometimes it falls apart, but rolling it is half the fun :D

Fantastic idea re: Assimil! I just bought the mp3 downloads for their most recent Korean (Coreen) course - 1,200+ mp3 sentence files that have the Korean meaning in the mp3 file data itself so it shows up in iTunes when you play the file. Of course it doesn't have the translation (I will get the french base book for Christmas) but if one shows up I don't understand, I'll just type the Korean text into Never to get the translation! That way even without the course book itself this is already a potentially very valuable Glossika like tool. For 54 Euros, I'm very glad Assimil now offers their audio as mp3 downloads for some courses. Thanks for this!
3 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:02 pm

sfuqua wrote:Hmmn...

I'm still with you on this. Old mp3s and pdfs are still the best. But Glossika wants subscribers, not loyal customers.
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:29 pm

In an Email on 2020-02-26, Glossika wrote: Doing review is inevitable in learning a language, and we've made it easy and more flexible for you.

Why we built “algorithm-supported” review options for you?

Your algorithm-supported, personalized review list is calculated by several factors including time, memory decay rate, your performance when doing typing and dictation practice, sentence difficulty, etc., and is updated on a daily basis.

You can outsource your time and efforts to Glossika, and focus on actively training without worrying about what and when to do review. Simply put, you can completely rely on Glossika to fulfill all the planning logistics for learning a language. You can switch to any of these review options anytime by accessing review settings.

More Flexible Ways to Do Review
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”