Glossika Product Updates

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
an onyme
Yellow Belt
Languages: American (N); le franc,ais (B1-C1); 한구거 (B1); 忠文 (A2), ዓማርኛ (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15312

Re: Glossika Product Updates

Postby an onyme » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:30 pm

IronMike wrote:Lots of discussion on FB about people wanting the option to skip the typing part of Glossika online. All I know is I miss the old Glossika still. ;)

100% of the comments on the Glossika blog too are negative. As far as I can tell, they also released the update without the option to do anything other than Listening/Typing since I can't find the option for it anywhere. I really don't understand the mentality of these companies. Why roll out a big change with 0 warning and no option to use the system as it was before? Especially since you'd think user retention would be important to a subscription-based business.
9 x
Just your friendly neighbourhood onyme

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:00 pm

IronMike wrote:Lots of discussion on FB about people wanting the option to skip the typing part of Glossika online. All I know is I miss the old Glossika still. ;)

I've been using the old Glossika courses for a year or two via my Natibo app ;)

It does seem like they tend to make large changes without notice which generally are not well-tested, but we've received another email saying that the listening-only mode will be back soon or is perhaps already back. As others have mentioned, the typing options seem more cumbersome than anything and I'd use something more interesting like subs2srs with anki or Memrise if I wanted that. I'd like to see more grammar help and language-specific sentences to make new structures and vocab more intuitive.
1 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:37 am

I've been using old glossika for French, Spanish, and Portuguese lately.
I really don't like new glossika, but I understand that some people do.
I really hope that old glossika goes on sale somewhere legally, so people like me can avoid the new glossika.
6 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:32 pm

sfuqua wrote:I really hope that old glossika goes on sale somewhere legally, so people like me can avoid the new glossika.

If you hear of it going on sale, please share!
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:26 am

Interview with Glossika founder Michael Campbell
after minute 20 he talks about changes as of spring 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AecAG7Q7J9I

Sprachheld
1 x

Ramblurr
Languages: English (N), **German (A2)**, Egyptian Arabic (B2), Spanish (B1) Retired: Quechua, Albanian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 68#p147068

Postby Ramblurr » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:15 am

I used the initial web-version of Glossika back when rare languages were free. I quite liked it. The past week I played with the new changes, and the typing doesn't bother me so much, though I do think there needs to be a listening-only version as well. The main reason I won't continue to use Glossika online is the price. 30 EUR a month is just too expensive for me personally, especially considering there is no mobile app or offline mode.

Later I ended up picking up Glossika F1-F3 German books+audio, which I am working through now. The "Glossika Scheduler" app for Android is a great help for keeping track of what I should be listening to. As an MP3 player I'm using WorkAudioBook, which is fantastic.

To be honest even if Glossika online was cheaper, I might still not use it. Between work and other hobbies, I spend a lot of time in front of a screen, so I'm always looking for ways to reduce screen time. Old paper glossika is a nice bit of my routine that I can do merely with earphones, a notebook, and the book.

That said if Glossika had an offline, hands-free feature (like MosaLingua does iirc), then I could definitely see myself using it while commuting, biking, etc.

crush wrote:I've been using the old Glossika courses for a year or two via my Natibo app ;)

You make "Glossika Scheduler" too right? Natibo isn't in the app store, do you have an APK available or any plans to publish it?
3 x

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:00 pm

Ramblurr wrote:
crush wrote:I've been using the old Glossika courses for a year or two via my Natibo app ;)

You make "Glossika Scheduler" too right? Natibo isn't in the app store, do you have an APK available or any plans to publish it?

Yep, and Natibo's on Github:
https://github.com/chickendude/Natibo

And the releases are here, but it's a bit of work to cut up the files and send them to the app, i believe the German course has been done so you'd just have to run it through the scripts, though:
https://github.com/chickendude/Natibo/releases
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:46 pm

crush wrote:

It does seem like they tend to make large changes without notice which generally are not well-tested, but we've received another email saying that the listening-only mode will be back soon or is perhaps already back. As others have mentioned, the typing options seem more cumbersome than anything and I'd use something more interesting like subs2srs with anki or Memrise if I wanted that. I'd like to see more grammar help and language-specific sentences to make new structures and vocab more intuitive.

I would use your Natibo app, but I have no idea how to compile it into an apk file. Can you post instructions or link to them if you've done so already?
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:01 pm

aokoye wrote:
crush wrote:

I would use your Natibo app, but I have no idea how to compile it into an apk file. Can you post instructions or link to them if you've done so already?

To compile you would need to have Studio installed and then download the code.

Instead, you can download the .apk here: https://github.com/chickendude/Natibo/releases
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:34 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
aokoye wrote:
crush wrote:

To compile you would need to have Studio installed and then download the code.

Instead, you can download the .apk here: https://github.com/chickendude/Natibo/releases

Perfect - thanks.

And yeah I knew about Android Studio, but let's not pretend that it was at all easy for me to figure out how to use Android Studio.
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”