Glossika Product Updates

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Speakeasy

Glossika Product Updates

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:52 pm

It is only rarely that I publish what is, for all practical purposes, a promotional communication that has been emitted by a commercial organisation. Nevertheless, for those of you who are interested in the Glossika line of products, but who are not on their mailing list, I felt that posting the recent Email that I received would be something of a public service. The usual disclaimers apply here; that is, I have no connection whatsoever with this publisher and I will receive no benefit from posting this announcement other than the personal satisfaction of having provided a small service the members of this forum. Here it is:

Dated: 2017-08-09
Subject: Glossika Product Updates: A Message from the CEO (1 of 4)

Over the next couple weeks, I'll be sending you several emails as we near the end of our biggest product update ever. This update affects all of our languages.

So in each of these emails, I'll announce several important updates -- because there is a lot -- and the last email will point you to where you can access these updates.

First, I'd like to personally thank you for your support in Glossika during our early stage. We've been listening to all the feedback over the last couple years and it's all coming together now.

More Languages
Glossika will always launch more languages. The biggest change here: more content at no extra cost to you. Starting late 2017, Glossika will be able to launch more languages, much faster, and errors will disappear the first time anybody sees them.

Scheduling
Last year, we released a new scheduling system as a free PDF download from within your Glossika account. In the new update, the schedule is automated and makes last year's schedule obsolete. In fact, the schedule is machine learning "smart" and adapts to your personal learning style.

Unique Sort in Each Language
In the new update, sentences appear in the best order specifically for that language. This means your learning and progress is easier and more effective.

A similar algorithm was used to create the Alphabet games on the current Glossika website. You can give them a test-run if you haven't yet.

Like I said, this is a major update and you will achieve so much more in your language learning!

Are you ready for the new update?

Click here* to get early access!
*PERSONAL LINK DELETED*

Michael Campbell
Glossika CEO

EDITED:
After posting the above Email, I noticed that the LINK* contained in Glossika's Email above, included my own Email address! With a view to protecting my personal information, I have DELETED said LINK. Although I have not taken the time to verify the matter, I would imagine that the relevant information concerning the Glossika Product Updates is freely available via the publisher's website.

Title to be revised, successively, to indicate "Message x of 4", as I receive the Email announcements from Glossika.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
7 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Glossika Product Updates

Postby IronMike » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:45 pm

I can't wait till the Celtic languages come out, I want all of them.

What does 100% translation mean? What comes after that?
3 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Speakeasy wrote:I felt that posting the recent Email that I received would be something of a public service. Here it is:

Dated: 2017-08-09
Subject: Glossika Product Updates: A Message from the CEO (1 of 4)

Glossika looks like an interesting product. Looking forward to seeing what comes out in messages 2 - 4. Hope you pass them along to us.
2 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:50 pm

luke wrote: ... Looking forward to seeing what comes out in messages 2 - 4. Hope you pass them along to us.
Yes, I intend posting the subsequent announcements as I receive them. I will revise title to indicate "Message x of 4", successively, as I receive the Emails from Glossika.
1 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Re: Glossika Product Updates: Message 1 of 4

Postby sfuqua » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:12 pm

I hope they don't mess up what they have already.
I think there is still a place for mp3's and pdf's.
I would hate for glossika to turn into another SRS, website based course.
6 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:24 pm

Speakeasy wrote:errors will disappear the first time anybody sees them

What does this mean - everything online and editable?
1 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:31 pm

I remember seeing posts from Michael about this, but i can't seem to find them now, maybe they've deleted them? I remember reading something about a crowd-sourcing system and being able to put out more languages more cheaply and in less time. But i am really excited about what is in the e-mail, i just hope the basic format (some variation of audio + text) is still around.
1 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Here are two recent posts from Michael in the Glossika Discussion group on Facebook.
These seem to discuss the coming "upgrade"
25 June
Weekly update:
1) Last week we received important updates on the Celtic languages. All languages' status have been updated on the homepage.
2) Release of a lot of languages is on hold (with the exception of what has been announced) until we have launched some of the things in development that I discussed in last week's post. This is in order to keep costs from escalating out of control. But we'll continue releasing what the production team has already been working on this year. Four advantages from this: a) language learners will get much better optimized experiences, b) errors should drop to our goal of the Six-Sigma standard (my design theoretically makes errors non-existent), c) we can release new languages more often, and d) maintain much better compatibility between languages.
3) We released a Korean fluency module last week.
4) Alphabet games: these are sourced and created by me. I've had a deluge of meetings for the last 2 weeks as many different projects need to be integrated. I'm resuming work on alphabet games again this week, specifically Thai and Chinese.
May 25
This week's update:
1. Alphabets: released Japanese, Korean, Chinese alphabet games. Currently Zhuyin>Pinyin for Chinese with Gwoyeu, GUP, Yale, Cyrillic in planning stages. (All of these transcriptions will be integrated into Glossika products in the future). Korean offers not just a tool for learning the alphabet, but also pronunciation rules -- which usually leave learners confused for a while. And there's a Yale version which is much quicker and easier.
2. Hanzi/kanji/hanja/chu nom: still in planning stages.
3. Production Team: released Slovene Fluency last weekend. Should have another Fluency course coming up in the next week or two.
4. Production Team: Fluency modules in several languages were recorded recently, and we finally got the post-production and editing on a Thai module recently done.
5. Corrections and recordings made over the last couple months to Spanish, German, Russian, Serbian, Turkish, to name a few including new English recordings. All of these will get pushed out in a major update coming this summer (massive integration across lots of products).
6. Developer team has integrated a new schedule+GSR algorithm I developed earlier this year. We're now working on integrating yet another algorithm, and we'll release some testing on this in the near future.
7. Developers have been working on developing new methods for acquiring better translations and recordings.
8. Linguists have been busy tagging syntactic and semantic data for new datasets.
9. Check out our team page on the website here and don't forget to check out careers and partnering up from the menu at the bottom of the site.
3 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:47 pm

Goddess, I hope they aren't abandoning fluency course format to make everything into versions of the "alphabet game". They're fine for new alphabets, but I would not do a whole course that way.
0 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

Speakeasy

Re: Glossika Product Updates: Messages 2 of 4

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:30 am

Dated: 2017-08-17
Subject: Glossika Product Updates: A Message from the CEO (2 of 4)

In the last email I discussed:
• More languages and more content at no extra cost
• Automated scheduling system that adapts to your learning
• New sorting for each language, eliminating redundancies
The new upgrade is only a few days away. We'll give you the access to it in the 4th email.

Here's a question from last week's email:

Q: Should I keep using the current schedule or wait for your new schedule?
A: Keep using your current schedule. The schedule on the new update is completely automated for you (there are too many variables at play). Once you start using it, you'll need 3-4 days of transition for the new update to figure out your level and learning speed.

Here are this week's update announcements:

Combined Modules
Fluency / Travel / Business / Daily Life have all been combined together. We have an additional 20 topics that you can choose from. Whatever you choose will be sorted by difficulty and fed into your next training session.

For example, in the new update you can learn how to order at a restaurant in just a matter of minutes.

By the way, "GSR" is getting replaced by new and improved algorithms, so I won't mention "GSR" anymore.

Remove Any Sentence
We've received a lot of feedback about: problematic sentences, sentences you don't like, etc.

If you don't like a sentence, just remove it and it won't appear in your training sessions. If anyone using Glossika red-flags an error, you won't see it either, and it will get queued for processing immediately. All of our sentences have an additional layer of granular detail that assist in translation correctly. This is our way of putting you in control of everything you encounter on Glossika, ensuring it's of the highest quality.

And we've already removed sentences of a different difficulty to make your learning smoother.

More Sentences
Even though we're adding more sentences and sentence patterns, that doesn't mean you have to go through all of them which will slow down your progress to the next level.

If our algorithm discovers you're a fast learner, you'll move ahead. Likewise if you need more practice, it will accommodate to you. You'll waste no time on things you already know, and continually get challenged on new things.

Progress Report
A progress report is built in. You'll be able to see your level and share with friends!

The new update is coming in a few days. Click here to get early access!

Michael Campbell
Glossika CEO
Last edited by Speakeasy on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”