Glossika Product Updates

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Glossika Product Updates: Messages 4 of 4

Postby IronMike » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:16 pm

No thank you. I generally don't like subscription models because before long, I stop using it but forget to cancel.

I was really looking forward to buying all the Celtic languages. I was willing to buy them all in the old format. I use Glossika off and on. The Russian I bought I use for a couple months every year or so. Other languages (Serbian, Croatian), I use when I go on vacation to those areas, so for a few months prior, that's it. The Celtic languages I just love, and I'd probably immerse myself for a month or two annually.

So...what's to keep me from subscribing for two months every 12 months?

I miss the old format. I bought the Latvian/Lithuania combo when it came out not because I was studying those languages at the time, but because someday I might. This thought was the same for the impending (so I thought) Celtic release. Someday I might want to study them (again, for some). But $30/month for the few months I'd use Glossika? Nein, danke.
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Postby Henkkles » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:35 pm

IronMike wrote:No thank you. I generally don't like subscription models because before long, I stop using it but forget to cancel.

I was really looking forward to buying all the Celtic languages. I was willing to buy them all in the old format. I use Glossika off and on. The Russian I bought I use for a couple months every year or so. Other languages (Serbian, Croatian), I use when I go on vacation to those areas, so for a few months prior, that's it. The Celtic languages I just love, and I'd probably immerse myself for a month or two annually.

So...what's to keep me from subscribing for two months every 12 months?

I miss the old format. I bought the Latvian/Lithuania combo when it came out not because I was studying those languages at the time, but because someday I might. This thought was the same for the impending (so I thought) Celtic release. Someday I might want to study them (again, for some). But $30/month for the few months I'd use Glossika? Nein, danke.

Mike said in the Facebook group that their platform supports putting subscriptions on hold, and that they were investigating on implementing it. If it's implemented that should be much more convenient than outright cancelling.
2 x

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:38 pm

He also mentioned that they plan to continue making the old courses, but they might be put on hold for a couple months while they iron everything out.
3 x

Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Postby Henkkles » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:55 pm

crush wrote:He also mentioned that they plan to continue making the old courses, but they might be put on hold for a couple months while they iron everything out.

That's what I understood as well.
0 x

geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Postby geoffw » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:20 am

hedgehog.chess wrote:I think they just rushed with the new Glossika and didn't check the content. I'm through 2 German "GSR" files and I found out for example that "It is" is "Sie ist" is German... and I stumbled upon a question constructed like this " Von wo kommt sie?"... In 20 basic A1 sentences I found 4 mistakes. That's beyond disappointing...

I assume you're trying to give examples of the errors here? I don't see what's wrong. If you mean that "It is" should be "das ist" and not "sie ist," then you need to slow down and realize that German will often use gendered pronouns for inanimate objects according to grammatical gender. And I don't see what's wrong with "Von wo kommt sie?" either.

That said, some of the old Glossika materials did indeed have plenty of mistakes (in particularly bad cases, the courses were silently pulled from production for wholesale revision lasting months or years). The new program they're rolling out is meant to help fix that, however, because now mistakes can be more quickly and easily flagged and fixed.
5 x

hedgehog.chess
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (~B2ish), German (~B2ish)
Language Log: https://tinyurl.com/yaofno9u

Postby hedgehog.chess » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:44 am

I assume you're trying to give examples of the errors here? I don't see what's wrong. If you mean that "It is" should be "das ist" and not "sie ist," then you need to slow down and realize that German will often use gendered pronouns for inanimate objects according to grammatical gender.

Well they got "He is./ Er ist." right in the given sentences.

And I don't see what's wrong with "Von wo kommt sie?" either.

I don't want to get into a grammatical discussion here but I don't think that "Von" is a right way to start that question in German. A W-word (woher) would be better and simpler. But I'm just a beginner.

I'm using the "(not-so-)old" Glossika right now and I can really see how it helps me to improve. All in all I think their new system will be good. But after couple of months of fixing errors.
Last edited by hedgehog.chess on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

MacGyver
Yellow Belt
Languages: .

Postby MacGyver » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:45 am

Access to all languages? I am only interested in Korean. $30 a month is excessive, I would be willing to pay $10 for access to just a single language. I don't quite understand why Glossika would think most people would want to access so many languages.
2 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:34 am

The new system is exactly what I expected it to be.
It's going to be good for some folks, if they get the bugs worked out.

I really hope they will continue to produce their old courses and keep them available.

No subscription for me, at least until you enthusiastic folks show how superior the new system is :D

All languages for $30 a month? Can you imagine the massive dysfunctional wanderlust this could cause?

GSR forever!!! :D
6 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:45 am

When they get an offline version (or an app) out i'll likely spend the couple hundred bucks over a few months to test it out, there is much more material than before and being able to see the sentence you're studying is great (but would be nice to see the last couple sentences as well in case you weren't quick enough to see the sentence before it advanced). But i think for me the old Glossika material is enough. And assuming the mistakes getting flagged in the subscription site make it to the published courses, that would be great. I'll wait to see how it looks once it is more stable and closer to it's"final" form. I was a bit disappointed, but i think it still has a lot of potential. Also, at least being able to test it out for 1,000 reps is really nice, that is a pretty fair amount to get a feel for a course. And if they add Basque, i'll support them indefinitely ;)
1 x

Finolia
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (B2), Spanish (A2), Vietnamese (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7587

Postby Finolia » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:57 am

And I don't see what's wrong with "Von wo kommt sie?" either.

I don't want to get into a grammatical discussion here but I don't think that "Von" is a right way to start that question in German. A W-word (woher) would be better and simpler. But I'm just a beginner.

I know this discussion isn't about each mistake but I just have to add something ^^ You may be right that "Woher kommt sie?" sounds more...educated and is probably even "more correct" but you will hear "von wo kommt sie/ kommst du..." all the time here in Germany! Especially when you are asking about the place she is just coming from but sometimes also when you are asking where she is from.

And about the update...well, I have to admit that I was looking forward to the update. I'm easily persuaded by advertisements so...^^' I still like what I've tested so far and I had no technical problems or anything. I even agree that the price might be justified by the work they are putting in and by the content they are providing but it's still too expensive for my taste. The reason I bought one glossika course before was only because I had two discount codes ^^' In addition, I'm just not really a fan of subscription models. Even if it's less than 30€ it amounts to several hundreds real quick and seeing how much money I've spent always makes my heart ache - especially because I know myself and how I wouldn't use the content i paid for enough. I would probably even forget it for a while and just happily pay ever after - which would be my own fault of course but still... ^^'
Well, I'll be observing the whole thing for a while and who knows, maybe in the end I will do subscribe after all :roll:
4 x
Please feel free to correct whatever I write :P

Elementary Vietnamese: 8 / 14

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”