Glossika Product Updates

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: Glossika Product Updates

Postby aokoye » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:41 am

sfuqua wrote:I wrote a (I hope) polite, but fairly blunt email to Glossika, and I received a very nice email from Sheena Chen, which said that changes were a question of the survival of the company.
I find that a lot easier to accept than being told that I don't understand language learning because I'm not over the moon about their new product. :D

Well, that says it all doesn't it. I totally agree though - I'd much rather be told, "look we're doing this so we can stay afloat as a company" than, "you have no idea what you're talking about."
I have a lot more thoughts but, tired + just out of surgery = words are hard.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Isaacw
Languages: Korean (beginner)

Postby Isaacw » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:34 pm

MacGyver wrote:
Saim wrote:Image

wat :|

EDIT: He's since deleted the comment.

Amazing. Seems like the whole thread, not just this comment, has been deleted.

I am just glad I have the old Korean and German courses, and I don't need to worry about how much he will be charging people in future.

Its like watching a car crash in slow motion. If he does change the pricing model, what happens to those people who paid $1000 for 4 years. I would not be surprised if they suddenly only had access to a single language. This has just devolved into daytime tv style entertainment now.

Not released as an app, buggy, missing features, confusion over discounts, expensive, company not understanding its customer base, pricing models seemly likely to change on a whim - entertainment gold. :lol:

Hi,

You mentioned that you purchased the Korean course before. I’d love to get your thoughts on how you’re using the files to learn Korean. I’m learning korean too, along with Anki.

Send me a private message if you like so we’re not bothering other people in this thread.

Cheers,

Isaac
0 x

MacGyver
Yellow Belt
Languages: .

Postby MacGyver » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:15 am

Isaacw wrote:
Hi,

You mentioned that you purchased the Korean course before. I’d love to get your thoughts on how you’re using the files to learn Korean. I’m learning korean too, along with Anki.

Send me a private message if you like so we’re not bothering other people in this thread.

Cheers,

Isaac

I have abandoned Glossika for now, I will come back to it at a later stage.

I started off listening to the GSR files on my way to work, muttering the sentences under my breath as I walked. After about 500 sentences, I found I wasn't understanding most of the sentences. I had to review them properly at my desk, going through the GMS files and writing down each sentence a few times to understand it and the words that made it up. The grammar was usually fine, it was just the words and the length of the sentences that got to me.

Soon I found that Glossika was dominating my study time. To get through 10 sentences a day I had to use up almost all the time I had set aside for studying. It became a chore. I hated it, and it felt like I was going nowhere.

So, I decided to stop. Now my main study comes from my italki teacher, and reading at Lingq. I use memrise, duolingo and lingodeer to fill in 5 minute pockets of free time here and there.

I will go back to Glossika once I hit a decent level in Lingq, maybe 7,000+ known 'words' or so.
4 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:28 am

Michael Campbell wrote:List of languages to add to Glossika (the 2018 strategy):
Abaza, Abkhaz, Acholi, Adyghe, Afar, Afrikaans, Ainu, Akan, Alabama, Albanian, Alsatian, Amharic, Amis, Ancient Egyptian, Ancient Greek, Ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, Arapaho, Aromanian, Assamese, Asturian, Atayal, Avar, Aymara, Balinese, Bambara, Bashkir, Basque, Bats, Bavarian, Bhojpuri, Bikol Central, Bosnian, Breton, Bulgarian, Burmese, Burushaski, Buryat, Caddo, Cape Verdian Creole, Carrier, Cebuano, Ch'orti', Cham, Chamicuro, Chamorro, Chechen, Cherokee, Cheyenne, Choctaw, Chukchi, Chuukese, Chuvash, Chuvash, Classical Nahuatl, Coatecas Altas Zapotec, Coptic, Cornish, Creek, Crimean Tatar, Dakota, Dargwa, Dari, Darkinjung, Dhivehi, Dinka, Dolgan, Dupaningan Agta, Dutch Low Saxon, Dyula, Eastern Mari, Edo, Efik, Elfdalian, Emilian, Erzya, Esperanto, Evenki, Ewe, Fang, Faroese, Fijian, Friulian, Fula, Fur, Gagauz, Galician, Gamilaraay, Gan, Ganda, Ge'ez, Georgian, Low German, Gooniyandi, Greenlandic, Guangzhou Cantonese, Guarani, Guerrero Amuzgo, Gujarati, Gulf Arabic, Gutnish, Hadiyya, Haida, Haitian, Hausa, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hidatsa, Hijazi Arabic, Hiligaynon, Hla'arua, Hopi, Hui, Hupa, Ido, Igbo, Ilokano, Ingush, Interlingua, Interlingue, Inuit, Inuktitut, Inupiak, Iraqi Arabic, Isan Thai, Jakaltek, Jarawa, Javanese, Jin, Jinghpaw, Kabardian, Kabyle, Kalmyk, Kanakanavu, Kannada, Kapampangan, Kanuri, Karelian, Karok, Kashmiri, Kashubian, Kaxabu, Khakas, Khmer, Khoekhoegowab, Kikuyu, Kildin Sami, Kinyarwanda, Kiribati, Klallam, Koasati, Komi-Permyak, Kongo, Konkani, Kpelle, Kumyk, Kurmanji Kurdish, Kyrgyz, Ladakhi, Lak, Lakhota, Lango, Lao, Latgalian, Latin, Levantine Arabic, Lezgi, Limburgish, Lingala, Livonian, Lombard, Luganda, Lugbara, Luo, Luxembourgish, Maasai, Macedonian, Maithili, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Manchu, Mandingo, Mandinka, Manobo, Mansi, Mantauran Rukai, Maori, Mapuche/dungun, Maranao, Marathi, Marshallese, Mazanderani, Meadow Mari, Mende, Mezquital Otomi, Mi'kmaq, Min Bei, Min Dong, Mingrelian, Min Zhong, Mirandese, Miwok, Miyako, Mohawk, Moksha, Montagnais, Montana Salish, Mopan Maya, Mordvin, Moroccan Arabic, Motu, Mudburra, Muong, Nahuatl, Nanai, Napolitano, Nauruan, Navajo, Ndebele, Nepali, Ngiyambaa, Nogai, Northern Hindko, Northern Paiute, Northern Sami, Northern Sotho, Norwegian Bokmål, Novial, Nubian, Nuer, Occitan, Odia, Ojibwe, Okinawan, Old Armenian, Old English, Old Norse, Oromo, Ossetian, Paiwan, Palauan, Papiamentu, Pashtu, Pazeh, Punjabi, Pu-Xian Min, Puyuma, Quechua, Rajasthani, Rapa Nui, Romani, Romanian, Romansch, Rukai, Rundi, Rusyn, Saanich, Saisiyat, Sakha, Samburu, Samoan, Sandawe, Sanskrit, Santali, Seediq, Sardinian, Saterland Frisian, Scots, Seiyap Cantonese, Seri, Shanghainese, Shona, Shoshone, Sichuanese, Sicilian, Sidamo, Silesian, Sindhi, Sinhalese, Siraya, Somali, Songhay, Soninke, Sorbian North, Sorbian South, Southern Altai, Southern Sotho, Sranan Tongo, Sundanese, Svan, Swazi, Swiss German, Syrian Arabic, Tabasaran, Taino, Tajiki, Tamazight, Tamil, Tao, Taroko, Tatar, Tausug, Teke, Telugu, Teochew, Tetun, Tewa, Thao, Tibetan, Tigre, Tigrinya, Tofa, Tok Pisin, Tongan, Truku, Tshiluba, Tsonga, Tsou, Tswana, Tuareg, Tundra Nenets, Tunisian Arabic, Tupinambá, Turkmen, Tuvan, Twi, Tzotzil, Umbundu, Udmurt, Urdu, Uyghur, Venda, Veps, Virgin Islands Creole, Volapük, Vulgar Latin, Walloon, Waray-Waray, Warlpiri, West Flemish, West Frisian, Western Punjabi, White Hmong, Wolaytta, Wolof, Xhosa, Xiamen Minnan, Xiang, Yiddish, Yindjibarndi, Yoruba, Yucatec Maya, Yup'ik, Yurok, Zande, Zazaki, Zhuang, Zulu

If they manage all this, Glossika will be one of the top resources for rare languages. And many of these will probably be free, I imagine.

They’re also apparently working on a dictation function, which some of us miss from GMS. Hopefully they will fix up the flaws in some of the older courses too and add both male and female speakers for all languages.
4 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:10 am

Brun Ugle wrote:
Michael Campbell wrote:List of languages to add to Glossika (the 2018 strategy):
Abaza..........................................Zulu

If they manage all this, Glossika will be one of the top resources for rare languages. And many of these will probably be free, I imagine.

They’re also apparently working on a dictation function, which some of us miss from GMS. Hopefully they will fix up the flaws in some of the older courses too and add both male and female speakers for all languages.

(list of languages between A-Z removed by me to compact quote).

The fact that these languages are included:
Alsatian, Asturian, Breton, Basque, Dutch Low Saxon (which, I had to read up on as I'd not heard of it -at least not by this official name-), Limburgish, Luxembourgish, Maori, Occitan, Romansch, Swiss German, Walloon, West Flemish, West Frisian, has me VERY interested. And if these languages interest me, there are so many others that would, well, interest others, of course, most of which on this list, I have literally never heard of. This is great to see. I just don't like their model.

There is extremely little chance that I would want to study multiple minority languages at once to take advantage of the way their membership/purchase access works, and I don't like the idea of being 'pushed' to study multiple languages at once. I much prefer the idea of buying something and physically or digitally (or even both) owning that product to use when and how I like to.

Still, I see this as extremely positive overall. Thanks for sharing Brun Ugle :)
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:04 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:The fact that these languages are included:
Alsatian, Asturian, Breton, Basque, Dutch Low Saxon (which, I had to read up on as I'd not heard of it -at least not by this official name-), Limburgish, Luxembourgish, Maori, Occitan, Romansch, Swiss German, Walloon, West Flemish, West Frisian, has me VERY interested. And if these languages interest me, there are so many others that would, well, interest others, of course, most of which on this list, I have literally never heard of. This is great to see. I just don't like their model.

There is extremely little chance that I would want to study multiple minority languages at once to take advantage of the way their membership/purchase access works, and I don't like the idea of being 'pushed' to study multiple languages at once. I much prefer the idea of buying something and physically or digitally (or even both) owning that product to use when and how I like to.

Well, the thing is, I imagine most of those languages you are interested in would be free. Their model seems to be: minority languages are free, world languages and official languages you have to pay for after the first 1000 reps. You always get 1000 reps to try out and see if you like their courses before you have to subscribe. So far, they have Catalan, Hailu, Sixian, Sorani, Manx, Hokkien, Welsh and Wu all listed as free on their site.
3 x

Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Postby Henkkles » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:02 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:There is extremely little chance that I would want to study multiple minority languages at once to take advantage of the way their membership/purchase access works, and I don't like the idea of being 'pushed' to study multiple languages at once.

Hold up, wasn't it canon that all minority languages will be free to study forever? I can't find any evidence for this on a brief skim but have I been so deluded to cook this up on my own, can someone else confirm this?
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:18 pm

Henkkles wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:There is extremely little chance that I would want to study multiple minority languages at once to take advantage of the way their membership/purchase access works, and I don't like the idea of being 'pushed' to study multiple languages at once.

Hold up, wasn't it canon that all minority languages will be free to study forever? I can't find any evidence for this on a brief skim but have I been so deluded to cook this up on my own, can someone else confirm this?

That’s how I understood it. As I recall, Michael Campbell said that minority languages would be free and that subscriptions for the major languages and official languages would pay for their work on minority languages. That’s one of the reasons I’m happy to pay for the subscription.
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:30 pm

So, in theory, one could learn a bunch of minority languages for free - and show up with an impressive language tag at the next polyglot meetup. 8-) This I like.
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Postby Henkkles » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:33 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:So, in theory, one could learn a bunch of minority languages for free - and show up with an impressive language tag at the next polyglot meetup. 8-) This I like.

Finally Swedes will be able to learn Elfdalian and Gutnish!
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”